Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FishBulb32

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
So it looks like for me the pop in effect doesn’t seem to be happening for non raw photos after 14.4 including all my old ones. The photo looks the same when going to edit it.

The problem is still there for my pro raw photos before 14.4. They always pop.

And as for new pro raw photos. These can frustratingly vary! I’ve noticed sometimes they look perfect before hitting edit. Sometimes they pop after hitting edit. And just now I had the same photo look ok in Photos, but dull (followed by the pop when clicking edit) when viewing them from the camera app.

It’s clearly still not perfect! A photo should never change after you’ve taken it unless you apply an edit. It should look a exact everywhere.

Can anybody who said 14.4 has fixed this issue confirm that hdr on a pro raw photo has this issue?

newphone12

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
I'm not able to see the HDR shift issue with IOS 14.4 anymore... I'm still testing, looking hard at many photos, sometimes I think I can see something (but certainly not the same issue as before). I suppose I can say it fixed the problem for me...
Some of my RAW photos don't shift when I go in and out of edit, some do. A major issue for me is that when I transfer them out of the iPhone software I lose the HDR. So if I were to message the photo to a friend, email it, or even transfer it to my Macbook - I lose the HDR. Also lost when I screengrab. I'm able to capture the behavior while screen recording some images, but others I lose the HDR. Very frustrating. I can only see the photo the way I've edited it while I'm in the iPhone software. I've spoken with the techs at Apple support about it all and hope they can figure out a resolve soon.

neily9

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
I just exchanged for a new phone and it’s still doing it!! Sounds
I'm on my second one too. This definitely seems to be a software issue. Everyone I know who has a version of the 12 has this HDR problem.
I had issues with iOS 14.3, I updated to 14.4 and I still have issues but with some photos can be more subtle. I have a call with Apples Creative Media tomorrow morning. Will let you all know how it goes.

neily9

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Is anyone experiencing their photo slightly shifting upwards when they enter edit mode as well?
No, I don't think so. I see a sharpening on some photos. The photos tend to brighten, although I had 1 sky photo look quite blue, but then i tap edit, the sky loses some of its vibrancy, like a grey cast over it.

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
I just checked my 12 pm all hdr settings on and no change in brightness on pictures in or out of edit mode

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
both my PM and Mini do this with HDR on. My SE does not. Its an iPhone 12 thing. Turn off Smart HDR in camera settings and turn off HDR in the photo app.

Sopo87

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
My iPhone 12 does the same. It was driving me nuts since I bought it last november, but I think it is for sure a software issue. Browsing my photo gallery is a pain with so many brightness changes (specially in external shots). I turned off “view HDR” in the photo settings and now it is much better

neily9

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
My iPhone 12 does the same. It was driving me nuts since I bought it last november, but I think it is for sure a software issue. Browsing my photo gallery is a pain with so many brightness changes (specially in external shots). I turned off “view HDR” in the photo settings and now it is much better
What I found is after upgrading to the latest iOS 14.4 the issue is improved with photos taken after the update. Photos taken before update still have that issue. Have you updated and still have this problem?

Bassy83

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
I’m so glad I came across this thread. I’m experiencing the same thing on my 11 Pro. Brightness and Sharpness/detail increases only in edit mode without even doing anything to the photos. I noticed it once on iOS 13 sometime in the summer of 2020; whatever version that was. Now I’m on 14.4.2 and it’s still happening. I’ve tried turning off the “View Full HDR” setting and it has been a little bit better but the problem still exists. I will try to attach a video with the View HDR setting and toggling the edit mode on and off so you guys can have a look. By the way this photo has no editing done to it.

neily9

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
I’m so glad I came across this thread. I’m experiencing the same thing on my 11 Pro. Brightness and Sharpness/detail increases only in edit mode without even doing anything to the photos. I noticed it once on iOS 13 sometime in the summer of 2020; whatever version that was. Now I’m on 14.4.2 and it’s still happening. I’ve tried turning off the “View Full HDR” setting and it has been a little bit better but the problem still exists. I will try to attach a video with the View HDR setting and toggling the edit mode on and off so you guys can have a look. By the way this photo has no editing done to it.
View attachment 1751507
Hi, mine seems more or less ok now, but with only new photos since i upgraded to the new iOS. On the odd photo I can see a little sharpening, but the really noticeable increased brightness or contrast is better. BTW your video doesn't show up :)

Bassy83

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
Hi, mine seems more or less ok now, but with only new photos since i upgraded to the new iOS. On the odd photo I can see a little sharpening, but the really noticeable increased brightness or contrast is better. BTW your video doesn't show up :)
I noticed that as well with some recent photos. Thanks for letting me know about the video. I’m new here so I probably did something wrong or maybe it’s still uploading.

Bassy83

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
I noticed that as well with some recent photos. Thanks for letting me know about the video. I’m new here so I probably did something wrong or maybe it’s still uploading.

lensco

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is exactly what's happening for me. Photo's only show full HDR (all stops) when editing. As soon as I save or click cancel they only show about one stop of HDR. I'm on an iPhone 15 Pro with iOS 17.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.