Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Last year the total opening weekend sales of iPhone 5s's, and 5c's was 9 million.

I wonder how many Apple will sell next weekend.

Someone predicted 20 million but I think it's too far fetched, more like 12 millions. And that is already a HUGE number for 1 night sales. :p

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That just blows my mind. I refreshed the Apple website and tried the apps as well. By 2.5 hours into the preorder, I'd still not gotten thru to Apple either way. It just kept saying the store would be right back or something.

Here's the trick: use the Apple Store iPhone app, not the website.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
This just goes to show you how wrong Apple was about what people wanted in the past 3 years...

Well, it really doesn't show all that much yet... Though I agree lots of people wanted a larger iPhone, it's not like they have a feature matched 4" iPhone 6 as well to compare. Even if people prefer a smaller phone, they still might prefer a larger iPhone to no iPhone at all. They might even prefer optical image stabilization, higher PPI, and longer battery life and be willing to get the 5.5" where if there were no differences other than size they'd pick the 4.7.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
It doesnt happen on other forums. I'm a member of several android forums and I don't see people coming there strictly to slam android and talk about how great apple is.

This is one of many places where Samsung (and it is only Samsung) users come to bash apple. They are worse than the worst apple fanboy. I love android, but Samsung and some of its users are horrible.

Agree. Android and Samsung fans in particular has a very destructive agenda when it comes to Apple. They will write anything negative (just like their ads) by nitpicking non existent issues, and worse, spreading bad influences to the other more neutral Android (and Windows) fans.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
My Verizon 6 Plus order has gone from October 7 to "not available at this time" on status.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Agree. Android and Samsung fans in particular has a very destructive agenda when it comes to Apple. They will write anything negative (just like their ads) by nitpicking non existent issues, and worse, spreading bad influences to the other more neutral Android (and Windows) fans.

yep, but I honestly don't see it from all android fans. It's some Samsung fans that are more rabid than the craziest apple fanboys. And I can't stand Samsung as a company.

But htc, lg, moto they're all great companies and make great phones.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Someone predicted 20 million but I think it's too far fetched, more like 12 millions. And that is already a HUGE number for 1 night sales. :p
12 million for 1 day of sales compared to last years record of 9 million over a weekend which included 5S's, and 5C's.
If true that would be an astonishing feat.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
yep, but I honestly don't see it from all android fans. It's some Samsung fans that are more rabid than the craziest apple fanboys. And I can't stand Samsung as a company.

But htc, lg, moto they're all great companies and make great phones.

Samsung fans have replaced the 90's Microsoft fans. It's always been the same argument about :apple: and their products with these people. Only difference is the sense of entitlement with these people is getting out of control.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Here's the trick: use the Apple Store iPhone app, not the website.

I was using the app on iPad, so it should have been the same. I tried every avenue actually, even speaking with Verizon on the phone which was useless. I did eventually get to order a pair of devices, but by then it was 2.5 hours in, so I was deep in line on the 6 Plus by then.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
I call *************.

The freaking website was down for the first 2 hours of pre orders.

Apple expects us to trust them with all our cloud data and credit cards but they can't even get their website up for their flagship product launch or stream the iPhone event.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Apple didn't announce a time that preorders would start. Everyone just assumed it'd be the same as the carriers.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Well, I got up at 2:55am and got my order in for the 6+ 128gb space gray around 3:04 and I'm still looking at a 21-28 business day wait on mine. I don't really care about the wait but I don't know if pre-ordering actually put me in a better spot or not.

Things I find hilarious is it seems the most popular is the plus yet so many said a) Apple won't release a 5.5" phone and b) no one wants a phone that big.

I tried calling AT&T about 30 minutes ago and sat on hold for around 35 minutes... when someone finally answered they had such a heavy accent (not sure what nationality) but I couldn't understand them... It appears AT&T had to farm out phone support.

N4v4rmind

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Well, there is one thing that is consistent in my life. I can predict with accuracy the one day of the year, each year , that I will have the most aggravation to deal with.

I know Apple thinks they are faster than a speeding bullet and can leap tall buildings but they are inept at the one thing they should be great at. The user experience when it comes to a roll out is so far off the "bad" chart. Every year I think, this year some heads will roll but it never happens.

Somebody please tell the self centered idiots that earth does not revolve around Cupertino, CA. Tying a world wide roll out to midnight their time is built for failure. There staff and customer service people are all home asleep because , after all it is their midnight. The rest of us idiots are up all night trying to do the impossible. Can you tell I got no, ZERO, sleep last night.

I shouldn't have been surprised. It is an annual thing and gets worse with time. :-(

Everything you said is so true. Yet you, me and millions of others succumb to Apples latest offerings. They know that we are weak and will endure great pain to secure their products.

We should all be extremely embarrassed and ashamed....or not:)

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Never let a subjective, gut-feel survey of the MacRumors crowd be extrapolated to be representative of the masses. The masses have wanted bigger-screen phones so badly they chose to forgo iOS to get them for years now. Once Apple finally gave them an option to get the bigger screen they want PLUS iOS, a long-unfufillled want could be met.

This crowd here is whining about "man purses" and "new pants with bigger pockets" but the masses are just getting the bigger-screen iPhone they wanted. Ask them about "one-handed use" and they'll look at you like you're an alien (or maybe show you that they have TWO hands). Some of those masses accustomed to even 6+ inch screens are looking at iPhones as "small" and "too small". And just watch: apparently, there will soon be tens of millions of people carrying man purses and wearing baggy pants with oversized pockets OR they'll somehow just make it work without :rolleyes:

I had a play with a 5.7 Note 3 the other day. I can use it one handed, although I cannot reach the top right triangle, not a biggie. The 6 Plus is 7mm taller so not too much. Yes one handed use is affected but not as much as you think.

The benefit of the larger screen is huge

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Everything you said is so true. Yet you, me and millions of others succumb to Apples latest offerings. They know that we are weak and will endure great pain to secure their products.

We should all be extremely embarrassed and ashamed....or not:)

It's true. Out of all the iPhone releases I've experienced, ONE has gone smoothly. I got the pre-order in with no issue and it showed up exactly when it was supposed to.. I don't recall which phone that was but I know it wasn't the 5, 5s or 6+ for sure.

Apple knows their products sell out yet it's the same situation every year... I suppose it's on purpose to drive the craze and desire to have their products but it does grow tiresome. :)

Apple4everr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2013
Apple seems to always create demand for a phone simply by fanning rumors about a model being in short supply. Some people were probably unsure on which version to get but when they heard the Plus had limited availability they decided they had to have the more expensive model. Kind of like with the gold phone last year.

Also, by leaving the base model at 16GB but bumping the middle tier model to 64GB, Apple likely enticed a lot of people to shell out an extra $100. They are kind of sneaky that way. As a shareholder, though, I like it.

Also the prices are very similar and instead of the middle been 32gb I get the same one at the same price for a 64g little beauty, would of been nicer to have got the 32gb but still happy to get a free bump from 32 to 64 for the same price for the iphone 6, so leave me with thinking why was the iPhone 5s soo expensive?

----------

Originally purchased the Plus. Went to bed, woke up with the same things on my mind, purchased the 4.7. I'm gonna try both....let's see

I'm surprised you have the money to spend! I could see you couldn't sleep or was pondering what to do! Awesome work!

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
I think there are a lot of people, particularly iPhone users, who don't realize how big a 5.5" phone is. Android users have generally held large phones at one point when purchasing a new one, and many use a 5" phone.

I suspect there will be a lot of shocked iPhone 6 Plus owners.

While I do agree almost every iPhone user is going to have to make an adjustment to get to grips with the size, I highly doubt there is going to be mass number of returns to downsize. People adapt and move on. It'll be strange at first, and I'm sure as hell there are gonna be comments about how ridiculous it feels flooding on here. But give them a couple weeks to settle in a you find those who took the time the adapt will never want to go back again.

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
Is there any chance of any of our dates being moved forward?

Like I don't know if I've seen a single 128GB+ scheduled for launch day delivery? Mine is in the shortest window I've seen which is 7-10 days.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Constrained supply on the 6+ is almost a certainty....we've had parts from the 4.7 for months(?) but just started to see 5.5 parts (appears production is getting going significantly later for it).

Apple probably should have launched the 6+ on Nov 1st or something so they could build stock up.

Strike while it's hot. Wait until November and some of those iPhone Plus sales turn into Note 4 sales. Maybe not many, but some.

----------

OK, stop right there since you have no idea of what you are talking about.

1) Screens are not cut from one phone model to the other (same pixel density does not mean same screen)
2) The screens are shipped to the assembly plant from other locales / countries
3) The iPhone 6 screens use a different sub pixel implementation (and backlighting)

Please refrain from making uneducated guesses.

Yes, LCD screens are essentially "cut" from larger panels. That's why the current iPhone is 4.7" and has the resolution it does. Do the math. That doesn't mean the screens are identical, but it does mean that the retooling process is easier.

tpabrad

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
It's true. Out of all the iPhone releases I've experienced, ONE has gone smoothly. I got the pre-order in with no issue and it showed up exactly when it was supposed to.. I don't recall which phone that was but I know it wasn't the 5, 5s or 6+ for sure.

Apple knows their products sell out yet it's the same situation every year... I suppose it's on purpose to drive the craze and desire to have their products but it does grow tiresome. :)

I've been doing network engineering for a long time until recently getting more into development. I heard rumblings today about something new with queuing they were doing that appears to not have worked all the greatest. Sure it caused issues, but look at it this way. They could be opening pre-orders in the middle of the day which would end up being total mayhem. The amount of traffic would be tremendous. Maybe they release by carrier int he future spaced out more so the initial rush of release isn't so harsh.

They didn't do pre-orders last year so this year was the first time with that kind of load in 2 years. A lot changes in that time so what was done then obviously had room for improvement. Sometimes plans don't go right, its not the end of the world. I got 2 hours of sleep last night, was not thrilled but still went about my day.

Last year I stood in line at a store for the first time. I was quite impressed with how they managed the crowd. It was very organized and they pushed a lot of people through the store quickly. For the 5 I was not in the market for a new phone so I missed out on that fun. For the 4S I woke up at 6AM on pre-order morning and put in my order with little trouble.

I get why people are upset but managing this much load is extremely hard and there is no science to it. When you do it over and over again in a short time you have a lot better chance of perfecting it. When its once a year or every other year, its bound to happen. I'm sure they learned their lesson from this snafu and last weeks live broadcast snafu.

Finally, it really seems like they had a very low stock of the 6+ based on early orders that still got a few week delivery time. They probably could have done better by announcing last week that preorders wouldn't start for another couple weeks to allow more supply to build up and split loads but I'm sure they wanted to capitalize on the hype they built up. They are like any other business and are out to make money, its what you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.