Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfm56d7b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2020
I looked at several printers with double sided scanning and double-sided printing features. No clear winner. The cost of ink isn't an issue. Overall reliability and print / scan quality is more important.

Any recommendations with practical experience?

Currently running MacOS Ventura and soon MacOS Sonoma.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I was fed up with the high cost of inkjet consumables so when my previous All-in-1 died I purchased a used OKI MC562w laser printer/scanner/fax for £149.99 or less than the price of a decent inkjet. The MC562w is a bullet proof device designed for thousands of prints per month in a busy office. A full set of non-OKI toners is about £30.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Well - the one on top of the current short list is Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4830. Any experience with it?
No experience with that model, but I've been using an Epson WorkForce 845 here for over 6 years.

It has dual-side printing (which I love), but not scanning (which I have no use for anyway). As with any inkjet, keeping up with ink replacements, doing periodic head cleaning, etc. will be required.

Overall, it has been quite reliable. Only major issue I had with it was a couple years ago was when I purchased some genuine Epson ink cartridges from Amazon. Don't recall the exact details, but the printer basically went "bonkers" and kept exhibiting all kinds of weird symptoms and would only print portions of a page. Finally discovered that the "use by date" on the ink was expired. There were a rough couple of months while I sorted all this out. My final solution is that I now walk down to Staples and buy my replacement ink in person and check the Use By date on the box before purchasing. No issues since I started doing that.

Print quality is excellent. But note that my usage is 95% text. If you do a lot of graphics you should solicit opinions from other users.

Good luck with your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.