Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Cross posting

I found that installing this device update stops innie from being loaded. The innie is 1.3.0 been working fine through a number of security updates. The update does not require a reboot. Rebooted, external drives are no longer internal, sys info - software - extensions innie listed not loaded. Security & Privacy showed a list of unsigned kext that were not loaded, the same ones in extensions except the innie is not listed. Reran the innie instructions, same result. Restored from backup everything is fine. Reinstalled device update same result innie not loaded. Anything you want me to look at before I restore from backup? Thanks

Edit: Device update enabled SIP. Disabled SIP ran Innie install. Sorry for the noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: bearflag7

massimo57

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
Devon, United Kingdom
Hello everybody,
I'm using a cMP 5,1 (NOT a flashed 4,1), 12 core, 64 MB ram, fresh new installation of Mohave 14.6, Boot ROM 144.0.0.0.0, SIP disabled. The system is running from a AHCI ssd on PCIe port 3.
I tried several times to install Innie, but in Terminal I always get the "Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory". I'm 100% sure that I placed Innie in the correct Library folder, but still no results.

The (minor?) problem now is that when I do a cold start it takes more than 30 seconds from when I enter my user password to finally get to the initial Finder screen. What's happening? can this be caused by the partial install of Innie? I have now removed it from the Library folder, but the problem is still there.

I repeat this is a totally new, fresh install of Mohave, no extra software has been added, the only thing I did was to try to install Innie. What can I do?

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I'm interested in your warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory.

What happens when you open Terminal and do:

cd /
cd /Volumes
ls

Can you see folder called AppleInternal?

What about doing a df -g? My old Mac mini for example shows:

Filesystem 1g-blocksUsed Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2118397934%/
devfs 000100%/dev
fdesc 000100%/dev
map -hosts000100%/net
map auto_home000100%/home

My internal SSD is /dev/disk0s2 and it's mounted at /

I'd expect to see your AppleInternal volume as something like /dev/disk1s1 and mounted at /AppleInternal

If so - what happens if you cd into that path?

cd /AppleInternal

Then ls - can you see a Library folder?

Eneco

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2018
"Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory"

I'm interested in your warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory.

I get this warning ever since I started using Innie years ago. Nevertheless, it works and my PCIe Drives are seen as internal. Therefore I thought it just had to be this way and that it was a "calculated" error message, as we mess around with the system.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I get this warning ever since I started using Innie years ago. Nevertheless, it works and my PCIe Drives are seen as internal. Therefore I thought it just had to be this way and that it was a "calculated" error message, as we mess around with the system.
Same here, I've been using Innie for years and always shows this message.
Main thing is to wait until the process is completed and asks for new commands.

stereodan

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
I'll try to get around to it soon ;)

It should work if you're not using the HighPoint driver for RAID. However, as mentioned above, there is currently a bug in version 1.3.0. Perhaps that's the issue you're facing.
I have a 7101a as well, two in fact. Is there any chance Innie will support this card in RAID configuration? ?

Oliver M

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
It may be slightly OT and then sorry for this but is there a link to a good description on how to use the device properties method with OpenCore?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
gfxutil will be the first tool to use if you want to find the PCIe address of your NVMe. From there it's a straight path: under DeviceProperties key you add the device and then the strings you want to pass to it.

Reactions: rapidlaser

Oliver M

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Thank you, I appreciate the reply, I tried Hackintool and was hoping for a step by step guide. I will figure it out I guess or just copy paste drive icons, which is kinda lame I confess. But for some reason Innie stopped working with OCP 0.4.1. And since I use OC anyway I thought that it would be better to not install kexts but modify OCLP config plist instead.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Innie is no longer used in OC, since the parameter is passed directly through deviceproperties:
Code:
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
(...)
            </dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>built-in</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>pci-aspm-default</key>
                <integer>2</integer>
            </dict>

(...)
    </dict>

This is obviously for my NVMe in my Mac Pro, since gfxutil shows:

Code:
wojtek@Wojteks-Mac-Pro.home102 /Users/wojtek ./gfxutil -f $(system_profiler SPPCIDataType | grep -B 2 'AHCI Controller\|NVM Express Controller' | grep pci | sed 's|:||' | uniq) | sed 's|.*= ||'

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Reboot and the NVMe disk is seen as internal. Adjust your PCI paths according to your gfxutil results.

Oliver M

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Innie is no longer used in OC, since the parameter is passed directly through deviceproperties:
Code:
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
(...)
            </dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>built-in</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>pci-aspm-default</key>
                <integer>2</integer>
            </dict>

(...)
    </dict>

This is obviously for my NVMe in my Mac Pro, since gfxutil shows:

Code:
wojtek@Wojteks-Mac-Pro.home102 /Users/wojtek ./gfxutil -f $(system_profiler SPPCIDataType | grep -B 2 'AHCI Controller\|NVM Express Controller' | grep pci | sed 's|:||' | uniq) | sed 's|.*= ||'

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Reboot and the NVMe disk is seen as internal. Adjust your PCI paths according to your gfxutil results.

Aah, thank you so much! I think I got the idea. I will try this asap. Thanks again!

Reactions: hwojtek

rapidlaser

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
gfxutil will be the first tool to use if you want to find the PCIe address of your NVMe. From there it's a straight path: under DeviceProperties key you add the device and then the strings you want to pass to it.
Hi I have 3 NVME SSD in my 2013 mac pro and am trying to do the same thing but a bit confused maybe you could point me in the right direction? "From there it's a straight path: under DeviceProperties key" where am I looking for these device properties?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
It's a setting in your OpenCore config.plist
However a 2013 mac pro is a 6,1 (trashcan) and I don't think you have OC on it, it runs current MacOS natively.

(also how did you fit 3 NVMe disks inside? I thought Amfeltec Angelshark was a two-blade solution)

Last edited:
Reactions: rapidlaser

rapidlaser

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
It's a setting in your OpenCore config.plist
However a 2013 mac pro is a 6,1 (trashcan) and I don't think you have OC on it, it runs current MacOS natively.

(also how did you fit 3 NVMe disks inside? I thought Amfeltec Angelshark was a two-blade solution)
Thank you for your reply, I am at a loss now as to what to do, I used Innie before but for some reason it showed 2 of the three as internal but the mac OS stayed as external for some strange reason. Ah The Angelshark has 3 slots, one either side and one in the middle.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
As with any troubleshooting - I would perhaps start with removing innie completely, downloading the last version and starting from scratch with the config...
May have something to do with the OS you are running allowing or disallowing arbitrary .kexts.
May be a hardware-based incompatibility (I mean Innie was basically designed to make swapped Macbook Pro ssds appear as internal, so may not cover 3 disks, as is your case).

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
How about running OC transparently (with no spoofing nor other modifications) as a tool to alter the DeviceProperties on an otherwise vanilla machine?
You can do that sure. I have done it on a MBP15,1 to run windows on external drive.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I had that issue long time ago. I don't think @cdf is actively developing innie anymore.
The issue is quite simple: Innie is getting out of the way too quickly and misses some drives. I've tested a few heuristics (ranging from simple to more complex), but nothing that I'm fully satisfied with. I might take another look, as time permits.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
The issue is quite simple: Innie is getting out of the way too quickly and misses some drives. I've tested a few heuristics (ranging from simple to more complex), but nothing that I'm fully satisfied with. I might take another look, as time permits.
But you know what is funny. When I inspect the registry Innie actually sets the bit upstream in the registry, but when you go in towards the drive you will see it is not set there.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
But you know what is funny. When I inspect the registry Innie actually sets the bit upstream in the registry, but when you go in towards the drive you will see it is not set there.
You mean the built-in property? The reason is that the rest of the tree is not ready yet, so Innie simply gets out of the way. Of course, we can keep querying the I/O Registry, but when do we stop? We can also insert delays, but how long?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.