Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bo Blues

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Innie has been updated to version 1.3.1. This version addresses a long-standing detection bug (many thanks to @Macschrauber for testing)!

Hi CDF,

I have a quick question.
I own a 5.1 Mac Pro and upgraded to the latest possible specs, but I am NOT using OpenCore (yet). So I am stuck on High Sierra thus far.
My NVMe SSD (970 EVO plus with OWC Accelsior 1M2 card) is not recognized as an internal disc, so I thought about using your fix for that. However, if I somehow want to install OpenCore in the future, would it have any consequences if I used your fix before (possible conflicts)?
I want to make sure everything will keep running nice and clean in the near future when I need to install the OpenCore patch...
Thank you!

BB

Edit: installed Innie and it worked like a charm. Thank you CDF.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacProRumours

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Since I've installed Innie my booting time is 1min longer than before
My machine use to boot in about 20/30sec and now boot in 1min20/30 sec.

So is there anything I can do to fix this longer/slower booting time ?
Innie is untested on the 6,1. Perhaps you could try previous versions with the old detection logic.

However, if I somehow want to install OpenCore in the future, would it have any consequences if I used your fix before (possible conflicts)?
There should be no conflicts. However, after installing OC, you won't need Innie anymore, because you'll be able to use device properties in OC to achieve the same thing.

Reactions: Bo Blues

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Hi CDF,

I have a quick question.
I own a 5.1 Mac Pro and upgraded to the latest possible specs, but I am NOT using OpenCore (yet). So I am stuck on High Sierra thus far.
My NVMe SSD (970 EVO plus with OWC Accelsior 1M2 card) is not recognized as an internal disc, so I thought about using your fix for that. However, if I somehow want to install OpenCore in the future, would it have any consequences if I used your fix before (possible conflicts)?
I want to make sure everything will keep running nice and clean in the near future when I need to install the OpenCore patch...
Thank you!

BB

Edit: installed Innie and it worked like a charm. Thank you CDF.
Hey BB, just happened to see this post and thought it worth mentioning two things.

One, I ran Mojave on my 5,1 for years. It was a vanilla install except for Innie and ran solid. So, unless you are stuck on High Sierra for some kind of legacy software or equipment compatibility, you could move up to Mojave without using OC.

Two, I recently jumped straight from Mojave+Innie to Monterey+OCLP without touching Innie. All is well, and it seems to me that the system is running smoother than ever before.

Still more juice in your 5,1 either way!

Reactions: AlexMaximus

tek.prabu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Hei!

I have a cMP5,1 and am on High Sierra (started from a clean slate 10.7.x) right now. I disabled SIP, have installed Innie and confirm that the disks are seen as internal (non-ejectable).

However, I observe 2 things:
  1. I am no more able to enter into recovery mode (neither Cmd+R nor other options work; tried also SMC reset to no avail) - so not sure how I can re-enable SIP.
  2. Right before I get to the login screen the fans just full throttle and then slow down to normal speeds. Have observed this only after the Innie kext installation.
  3. There is one disk that is shown as external still - maybe this model is not in the Innie database?
I am noticing this irrespective of where I run HS from - have tried SATA, PCI-e (OWC) and also NVMe (OWC 4M2).

PS: I was advised in these forums to have everything vanilla setup first and then go onto try OC.

Also if this is something I cannot fix, how do I uninstall Innie ? (Is it just a matter of removing the .kext and kextcache update ?)

Last edited:

tek.prabu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Hi CDF!

Any tips on how I can go about this ?
Greatly appreciate your help, thanks!

Hei!

I have a cMP5,1 and am on High Sierra (started from a clean slate 10.7.x) right now. I disabled SIP, have installed Innie and confirm that the disks are seen as internal (non-ejectable).

1. I am no more able to enter into recovery mode (neither Cmd+R nor other options work; tried also SMC reset to no avail) - so not sure how I can re-enable SIP.
  2. Right before I get to the login screen the fans just full throttle and then slow down to normal speeds. Have observed this only after the Innie kext installation.
  3. There is one disk that is shown as external still - maybe this model is not in the Innie database?
I am noticing this irrespective of where I run HS from - have tried SATA, PCI-e (OWC) and also NVMe (OWC 4M2).

PS: I was advised in these forums to have everything vanilla setup first and then go onto try OC.

Also if this is something I cannot fix, how do I uninstall Innie ? (Is it just a matter of removing the .kext and kextcache update ?)

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
  1. Innie has no affect on Recovery mode. Something else is amiss. An NVRAM reset should re-enable SIP.
  2. Innie has no effect on the fans. You might be observing something like the racing fan bug (which is actually normal for some machines with updated hardware). An SMC reset could have triggered this.
  3. Make sure to use the latest version (1.3.1). It has the best detection logic. With the exception of RAID arrays and some PCIe adapters, there should be no issue with making a SATA SSD internal.
Note that a clean install of High Sierra may be called for if Recovery mode is broken.

For High Sierra it should be enough to delete the kext, touch and -update-volume.

tek.prabu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Hei @cdf !

Thanks for the response.
  1. I did an NVRAM reset. SIP was reenabled, but as soon as I made the changes that were reset (choose the correct startup disk, ensure Innie kext was in the right place, re-apply the kext after csrutil disable, see that Innie has taken effect), the same thing happened again. I was no more able to enter recovery mode (to enable SIP again). I guess I have no other option but to do a clean install now ?
  2. I see. It is not bothersome as it happens exactly once right before the grey screen appears and never observed again.
  3. Yes, I have 1.3.1. Could it be because the drive is mounted on an OWC Accelsior S ? I will see if it is recognized as internal if I move it to a different spot.
thanks

--R0B--

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, UK
That was short lived. I'm sure that Innie does reduce the number of times my internal PCIe SSDs magically self eject. This time it took 14 days previously happened nearly every night. The problem is the the only way of getting it back is to reboot.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 23.40.09.png

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Can you explain how to do this?

Making PCIe drives appear internal with Innie

You will need:
InnieDownload the latest release version. The uncompressed folder contains the file Innie.kext.
Installation
  1. Boot into macOS with SIP disabled.
  2. For macOS Catalina or later, enter sudo mount -uw / in terminal. You may need to authorize this.
  3. Copy Innie.kext to /Library/Extensions. You may need to authorize this.
  4. Enter the following commands in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/Innie.kext
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/Innie.kext
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -update-volume /
  5. Wait for the last command to complete.
  6. For macOS Big Sur, approve the installation in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  7. Reboot.
If all goes well, your drive will now be seen as internal.

Make PCIe drives internal

On the MacPro5,1, macOS sees PCIe drives as external, but it's possible to make them internal. You'll need gfxutil (if you don't already have it from a previous step):

Utility ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀Description ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀What to do ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
gfxutilFor getting device pathsDownload the latest RELEASE version

➊ Copy the executable "gfxutil" to your home folder.
➋ In Terminal, enter the following command:

xattr -c gfxutil

➌ Get the paths of your drives by entering the following command:

system_profiler SPPCIDataType | grep -B 2 'AHCI Controller\|NVM Express Controller' | grep 'pci' | sed 's|:||' | sort | uniq | xargs -n 1 ./gfxutil -f | sed 's|.*= ||'

Each path should be something like PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0).

➍ Add the built-in property for each of your drives. Make sure to use the actual paths.

Find ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀Replace ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>Add</key>
<dict>

</dict>
<key>Delete</key>

<key>DeviceProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>Add</key>
<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>built-in</key>
<data>
AA==
</data>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Delete</key>

Repeat the seven lines preceding the last </dict> for each of the paths you noted above. Make sure to use the actual paths.

Paulmitchell64

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
Thanks for your reply and your help. This is my first time getting this deep into the config of my machine so excuxe me being dumb!

Step 4. Add the built-in property for each of your drives. Make sure to use the actual paths.

Am I doing this in config.plist in efi in Opencore?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.