Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Hi friends! So, the new AirPods look pretty great. I’ve had gen 1 since I could get my hands on em, and I’ve wanted Pros since launch for ANC/better sound quality. However: firstly, I’m holding out for stemless Pros, which don’t seem like they’ll be out for a while; secondly, we’re living in different times where ANC isn’t as huge a selling point for me, BUT, one thing is—Atmos support. I’m curious to know from Pro (and Max!) owners what their opinion is on Atmos, particularly on newer stuff where the artist actually has input (Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Lil Nas X—go ahead and laugh, I’m a youngin’). I’m fascinated to know what it sounds like and if it’s worth the upgrade. That’s about it, let me know your opinion!

P.S.—@arn if this is already being discussed I’m sorry, I got so many suggestions typing this title out but none seemed to fit my dilemma ?

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
You don’t need Pros or Maxs to enjoy Atmos tracks. The enjoyment of Atmos with music depends on the mix and personal preference, not the product you’re listening to them with.

You do need Pros, Max or AirPods Gen 3 to enjoy Spatial Audio with videos. That to me is the most valuable thing Apple headphones offer and I consider it a game changer. Pick the product that fits you the best and makes sense for your own use cases.

Reactions: phenste

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Atmos as it exists in AirPods is absolutely nothing like Atmos in a speaker system. There is no way to get convincing front/rear up/down sound object placement without calibrating to a person's particular body, head and ear canal shape. AirPods spacial audio is NOT surround sound. It's just a fold down of an Atmos mix to regular stereo. Some Atmos mixes sound better than the regular release, some don't. So you can't say Atmos sounds better or worse. It just sounds different. The only thing you get with AirPods spacial audio is head tracking, which is generally more effective with movies than it is with music.

If Apple puts in the R&D and comes up with HRTF calibration, that might change. But at this point, the settings for Atmos and Spatial Audio are primitive and are limited to on and off and head tracking.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
You don’t need Pros or Maxs to enjoy Atmos tracks. The enjoyment of Atmos with music depends on the mix and personal preference, not the product you’re listening to them with.

You do need Pros, Max or AirPods Gen 3 to enjoy Spatial Audio with videos. That to me is the most valuable thing Apple headphones offer and I consider it a game changer. Pick the product that fits you the best and makes sense for your own use cases.

Spacial audio is why I upgraded from the AP2 to AP3

Reactions: johntw

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
It’s neat. That’s about it. I wouldn’t let it influence a decision on what you want to buy.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Hi friends! So, the new AirPods look pretty great. I’ve had gen 1 since I could get my hands on em, and I’ve wanted Pros since launch for ANC/better sound quality. However: firstly, I’m holding out for stemless Pros, which don’t seem like they’ll be out for a while; secondly, we’re living in different times where ANC isn’t as huge a selling point for me, BUT, one thing is—Atmos support. I’m curious to know from Pro (and Max!) owners what their opinion is on Atmos, particularly on newer stuff where the artist actually has input (Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Lil Nas X—go ahead and laugh, I’m a youngin’). I’m fascinated to know what it sounds like and if it’s worth the upgrade. That’s about it, let me know your opinion!

P.S.—@arn if this is already being discussed I’m sorry, I got so many suggestions typing this title out but none seemed to fit my dilemma ?
Just out of curiosity, have you ever used stemless earphones? I have some and they are not as easy to get in and out of your ear. Without stems, you have to kind of dig them out. I’m really hoping that the Pros never go that route.

Reactions: phenste and sfrangu

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
and I’ve wanted Pros since launch for ANC/better sound quality. However: firstly, I’m holding out for stemless Pros
This isn’t a valid reason for depriving yourself of a MUCH better product for the years you have thus far.

I still have my OG AirPods & only use them around the house (to save the battery of the Pros). Whenever I leave the house (or do noisy chores in house) I take the Pros.

I’ve cancelled my Apple Music subscription recently. Both Spatial Audio & Atmos weren’t impressive enough for me to regret that decision. Apple’s Bluetooth codec doesn’t help things as it’s a lower bandwidth variety compared to that on Android, so we’re probably too early to enjoy a noticeable boost in wireless audio with Atmos.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
AirPods 3 $180
AirPods Pro $180 (Amazon sale)
Easy choice.

May not be so easy. The thing is, our ears are very different, so while some of us can enjoy everything APP have to offer, others cannot. For me, personally, AP2 sound better because of their “open” hanging fit. I have tried the APP as well, but to get a good detailed sound from them for my ear anatomy was tricky, as it would also create more in ear pressure in the process. So while APP indeed do seem better on paper, I would encourage everybody to try both APP and AP2-3 fits to find out what works better for them.

As I am currently using AP2 and they work rather well, I will wait for more in-depth reviews and comparisons to see if it is worth upgrading to AP3. I am quite tempted, though. ?

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
AirPods 3 $180
AirPods Pro $180 (Amazon sale)
Easy choice.

I bought the Pros, used them for about 10 days. Couldn't get a good fit in both ears, didn't like the sound/sensation similar to having your fingers in your ears all the time. Had to return them. They're definitely not for everybody. When I returned them the girl who processed it said she returned hers also for the same reasons and mentioned there were quite a few returns of the Pros.

I liked the 2nd generation just fine but one has developed a crack after a drop onto the street. It didn't fall out, I was fumbling with it while putting it away. They've always stayed in my ears comfortably. So in the mean time I've ordered the new 3rd generation AirPods to replace the older ones.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I will always say that. They’re horrible for your ear health.
In ear pods are no more dangerous than headphones or speakers. For hearing damage, AirPods with noise cancelling and a tight seal are actually safer because they operate at a lower volume level. The only problem with putting stuff in your ears is bacteria, and that isn't a problem if you let your ears air out once in a while and keep them clean.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
In ear pods are no more dangerous than headphones or speakers. For hearing damage, AirPods with noise cancelling and a tight seal are actually safer because they operate at a lower volume level. The only problem with putting stuff in your ears is bacteria, and that isn't a problem if you let your ears air out once in a while and keep them clean.
Ear infections are a very real issue. Again, I’ll never put buds inside my ears. There’s too many better options.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
It really isn’t a big deal. People use in ears all the time with no problem. It isn’t at all dangerous.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I think he might be exaggerating a tiny bit too. There were rumors that in ears were bad for your hearing (just like ones that say that noise cancellation is bad for your hearing) but those rumors aren't true.

Reactions: sfrangu

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I will always say that. They’re horrible for your ear health.
But so are the non sealing AP3. They let in outside noise which means you need to turn them up louder which means more wear and tear on your hearing. So either way you're doing some damage to the ears.
What's the answer? Don't wear headphones as much as possible. Only when needed.

Reactions: sfrangu

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Respectfully, this veered off track a little bit. I am not looking for advice related to: price; ANC vs. non-ANC; current Pros vs. non-Pros (I have tried Pros, albeit for a short period of time and long before Atmos became a thing). Put simply, I don’t have the money or the proper space in the room I listen to music the most for an Atmos sound system, and I’m looking to know if I can get anything even close to that with headphones (wired, wireless…I do not care, and am only asking about AP3 due to the somewhat-major refresh). Then, of course, any non-Apple headphones would leave me SOL for Spatial Audio…

I would like to thank these people for their advice (bolded the most useful stuff instead of cutting off sentences):

You don’t need Pros or Maxs to enjoy Atmos tracks. […] You do need Pros, Max or AirPods Gen 3 to enjoy Spatial Audio with videos.

[…] AirPods spacial [sic] audio is NOT surround sound. It's just a fold down of an Atmos mix to regular stereo. […] The only thing you get with AirPods spacial [sic] audio is head tracking, which is generally more effective with movies than it is with music.

[A]t this point, the settings for Atmos and Spatial Audio are primitive and are limited to on and off and head tracking.

(I am curious about a source for the initial statement in this quote, bigshot [golden username for asking this ?]—I always have an open ear!)

Just out of curiosity, have you ever used stemless earphones? I have some and they are not as easy to get in and out of your ear. Without stems, you have to kind of dig them out. I’m really hoping that the Pros never go that route.

[…] Apple’s Bluetooth codec doesn’t help things as it’s a lower bandwidth variety compared to that on Android, so we’re probably too early to enjoy a noticeable boost in wireless audio with Atmos.

Seems fair to come to the conclusion that 1) true wireless buds are a ways from being able to give an Atmos-like experience 2) stemless earbuds might not be the best idea (even with Apple’s hypebeast subsidiary making them).

The peanut gallery has always called Apple’s marketing deceptive, I’ve always pooh-poohed such, but some of the things they’ve been doing lately…what’s up, Tim?

Last edited:

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
But so are the non sealing AP3. They let in outside noise which means you need to turn them up louder which means more wear and tear on your hearing. So either way you're doing some damage to the ears.
What's the answer? Don't wear headphones as much as possible. Only when needed.
This is false.

Reactions: Berc and johntw

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Put simply, I don’t have the money or the proper space in the room I listen to music the most for an Atmos sound system, and I’m looking to know if I can get anything even close to that with headphones
The simple answer to that is not with AirPods. The only way to get truly dimensional and directional sound is with a Smyth Realiser. Not cheap. https://smyth-research.com

Apple's Spatial Audio takes a multichannel recording (almost all of them have been previously released in multichannel on SACD or blu-ray audio) and then folds down the various channels into two stereo channels (left and right). The sound goes down the center of your head between your ears, just like any headphone. It adds some sort of phase trick to the center channel, but it just makes it sound more distant, it doesn't sound like different directions. Spatial audio can sound better or worse depending on how good the multichannel mix it's folding down is.

The reason head tracking works better with video is because you are looking at the screen on your phone with your eyes. There is a visual clue to give it placement to reinforce the audio. You turn your head and it pans the sound left or right. But it's still a straight line down through the middle of your head.

Directionality and distance are complex things to simulate. Perhaps in the future Apple and Dolby will get a better handle on it, but I wouldn't buy AirPods in hopes that they will do what a 5.1 speaker system can do, because it doesn't even come remotely close. I have a multichannel speaker system, and I have AirPod Pros and Maxes. I have many of the Atmos recordings that are on Apple Music on SACD and blu-ray and I've been able to compare. Not even close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.