Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
This is false.
Please, this is just dangerous.

"because they deliver sound directly into the ear canal, there's a much greater risk of damaging your ears if the volume gets too loud. ... Earbuds can also push earwax deeper into the ears, causing blockages that affect your hearing, making you raise the volume even more."

Higher volumes can result in hearing damage. There is no magic in it.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
You're correct. ANY excessive volume, whether headphones or speakers or natural sound can damage your hearing. Headphones are no worse and no better than any other way of hearing.
They actually are because closed headphones lead to excess moisture in the ears which can lead to infections.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I listen to AirPods, closed headphones and speakers. None of them have ever caused an infection. I don't listen for many many hours without stopping for a break though. I don't think any of us do. The batteries won't hold out long enough. This whole "dangerous thing" is silly. It doesn't exist in practice.

There is no problem with volume either. Danger from "delivering sound into the ear canal" is a myth. AirPods do not create much volume at all. They are not dangerous.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.