Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mikeneko

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Hi,

If you already have downloaded or obtained the Yosemite installer from Internet download site, Just rename the file to 'Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app'. This is how 128keaton's script will recognized the Yosemite installer and can install the retail version of Yosemite instead of the beta version.

richfinch

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
Hi,

If you already have downloaded or obtained the Yosemite installer from Internet download site, Just rename the file to 'Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app'. This is how 128keaton's script will recognized the Yosemite installer and can install the retail version of Yosemite instead of the beta version.

How do you rename it though. It doesn't let me by the normal way of clicking on it and hitting enter.

mikeneko

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Click a problematic folder and choose File > Get Info

at the VERY bottom of the Get Info window there is a Sharing & Permissions arrow, click it and let us know what it says. Sounds like you have your account problem. You don't have write access to the folder.

You may need to restart off the OS install CD and repair permissions that way.

richfinch

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
I have now managed to create a bootable Yosemite USB stick.

However i've now booted up from the USB and it says I am already running Yosemite on this mac?

Could this be to do with the fact I am already running Tiamos hacked 10.9 ?

Thanks

StrangerHacks

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
I have a MacBook 2,1 with 4GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD. I don't have a USB stick handy so I made an 8GB partition and 100GB partition for the Yosemite install.

I followed all of the steps, everything seems to have worked. I tried the step 12a method and the SFOTT partition doesn't show up, so I tried 12b and sure enough, it shows the SFOTT partition.

The only problem is when I select the SOFTT partition, it loads the light grey screen with dark grey apple logo, then flashes inverted, and back to normal, and then nothing happens, I left it for an hour and it didn't come off that screen.

So, this is where I'm at. Any idea's? It is because I'm using a partition and not a USB drive?

EDIT:
If it helps, I'm running OS X 10.6 fresh install, I just picked up this laptop from local classifieds for $100. I'm going to update to 10.6.8 and maybe there will be an EFI firmware update or something that's needed.

EDIT 2:
I found a newer beta of SFOTT, the linked version provided was for 1.4.5.6 Beta, the link on their site is for 1.4.5.10 Beta so fingers crossed for this being the deciding factor.

http://oemden.com/?p=1361

http://oemden.com/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=1379

Last edited:

StrangerHacks

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Turns out that was the issue, started over using the version 1.4.5.10 I got from their site, now when I select SFOTT from boot, it flashes to the inverted black background with white apple logo and begins to load, currently installing it on the Yosemite partition I made to see how this plays out.

So far the only issue that I've run into at this point is that the installer keeps stalling out on me, I need to click the menus at the top and hover the pointer around until it starts loading again.

Started at 16 minutes remaining, currently at 10 minutes remaining, I've been sitting here for about 25 minutes ..longest 6 minutes of my life lol

StrangerHacks

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Well its "working" but nearly unusable as I kind of expected.

I think the issue is video RAM, the laptop specs on EveryMac say the Intel GMA 950 has onboard 64mb, and a shared 16mb for every 1gb of ram installed, so a maximum of 2gb official (I have 4gb installed) so that's another 64mb of shared memory it should have added which means there should be something like 128mb of combined video memory but when I check the system specs, it says its a 21" monitor with 6mb of video ram.

I installed the 10.10.1 update, everything went fine until I tried to log back in and it hangs on the login screen.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

richfinch

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
I've now tried several attempts trying to create a bootable drive.

I've tried on a USB stick and a partitioned HD.

At first the sfott software was just creating a 'OS X Base System' drive which I was able to boot from but it just kept saying I already had Yosemite installed.

So after several more attempts from hacked 10.9.1 and also a separate HD with 10.7 Lion.

I am now getting an actual 'SFOTT' Hard drive icon and on it is just an Applications folder, but I can't boot from it?

If I try to, I get a black screen with a white apple and some white text. I left it for half an hour and nothing happened?

Think I might give up on this. :)

mambis

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
what if...

could you please tell me, cause i installed like a year ago mountain lion on my black macbook early 2008, and now i cant run yosemite installation from usb drive prepered by SFOTT cause "system on this mac is newer", and to work yosemite needs to pretend that its a os x lion - should i change computer type durig SFOTT instalation or what? thanks everyone

marko07

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
StrangerHacks - do you have working link for newer version of softt?
I have tried the one in the first post but it won't boot from usb, i choose softt but after few seconds it loads system from my hd, not from usb..

Anyone have any other idea?

I'm trying this on my old macbook air 1.1(a1237).

mambis

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
anyone else is having "this item is temporarily unavailble. try again later" pop-up when installing? i'm compleatly stuck, no yosemite on my poor unsupported macbook 4,1... and i'm soooooo close!

Kishtel

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
Finally success in installation

Hi, guys!
So, finally, after endless attempts, I managed to install it (Os X 10.10 Yosemite).
My problem was (maybe it would be useful for someone):

After installation sfott on your USB-stick try to replace boot.efi BOTH in /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi AND /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
It works on my own. Only for MacBooks 4,1 and up (native 64-bit loader boot.efi)

...and want to thank all of forumers for your help! My Macbook 4,1 is alive now.

Last edited:

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Trying SFOTT on my mac pro 1,1 but after boot it opens an apple logo and thats it, doesn't progress any further, any ideas?

tomtel

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
2006 Mac Pro 1.1 Yosemite success

I have just completed upgrading my 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 to Yosemite thanks to the great SFOTT scripts. Can’t thank the team of folks who spent all this time creating this work – it literally has saved my 8+ year old MacPro since I was not longer able to upgrade the OS past 10.7.5. This piece of Apple hardware is as good and powerful today as it was the day I purchased it, just hampered by the OS which limited me in keeping my apps up to date.

Couple key things in upgrading. I found it simpler to upgrade to Mavericks first – this may be because of things I did when trying to upgrade to Yosemite – however it just worked easier. If for no other reason than the script – since this was more straight forward. It was also much easier to get the Mavericks upgrade script than the Yosemite. To help keeps thinks VERY simple, the following step by step video was phenomenal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF05shc-e2E

When trying to upgrade to Yosemite, I about went crazy for a few days since I could not download the SFOTT Yosemite script. Download would not work on from multiple computers (Windows or Mac) from multiple locations. THIS DOWNLOAD IS NOW WORKING. I did find (this page) a page on MacRumors that saved the save – it provided a mirror site for the SFOTT download.

To install, the following video saved the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl23HYRQrlw

Both of these videos are great (thanks to the creators). A special thanks to the SFOTT team of folks – I realize this is not just one person, but a series of people (Tiamo, and too many others to name). These people deserve donations for their excellent work!

I did have some updates that kept prompting to be updated from the App Store. Ran then manually and worked OK, with the exception of an Epson drive update 2.16. Download it from Epson, and then manually installed and all warnings went away - then came back. Install worked several times, available update went away and then came back. I have 6 install noted for Epson v2.16 update

After having run my updated 2006 MacPro (version 1.1) for a couple weeks (reloading apps after having installed to new drive), I really have not found anything that does not work so far. May be a bit early since I obviously have not had time to test each and every app, but so far all seems to run fine – no obvious glitches. This is really a relief and very pleasing. I do my Photoshop editing with no issues.

The ONLY things that I have found that are out of the norm are the following two items:

1) My Wacom Intuos 4 (PTK-840) large tablet works – HOWEVER I am not able to use the Wacom control app in the System Preferences. I have download the new software which fails to install (display Version Mismatch. Please reinstall the table software) message when you click on the icon. I have reinstalled the new as well as the old software (which does not install) to no avail. The tablet does work, I just cannot assign to a specific screen which is important in my photo editing.

2) The other peculiarity is that when the PC goes to sleep and then I come back in the morning and “wake” it up, I have a series of error msg’s for the USB back up drives I have attached telling me that the did not dismount properly, and in some cases need to be reformatted – however nothing is wrong. Clear the msg’s and all is back to normal. THIS IS STRANGE – never had that issue before.

Other than that – all seems normal and not really any different than my MBP (which I compare things to).

Over time, I might find issues with plug-ins (Photoshop), but at this point all seems to be work as it should be. No outright failures. All my plug-ins for Photoshop (Topaz, OnOne Software, etc.) seem to work with no issues.

If anything, performance is better than before – seems faster. Things open quicker without a doubt.

My system config is as follow:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB
Memory: 13 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system): G86504VDUPZ
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F20577BE
Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

I can now use my USB 3 hubs and cards – which I had not been able to use earlier. Did not have to do anything to make them work.
WHAT IS WRONG: For some reason I am not able to “restart” the system – so as a result I must cold boot the system if I wish to re-boot.

All my plug-ins for Photoshop (Topaz, OnOne Software, etc.) seem to work with no issues.

Really pleased to have the system running with Yosemite though.

Thanks much. The very happy owner of a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 now running Yosemite without any critical issues.

Macquery

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
Hi Rokkber

Hi people, I took the risk.. Successfully updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 via AppStore official update, my Mac Pro 1.1 SFOTT Boot loader works OK with no problems. Its safe to update this way.

Mac Pro 1.1 | 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 24 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB | Apple LED Cinema Display 27

My Mac is a similar spec to yours, the graphics card is identical to yours. After reading a few reviews and being a little apprehensive on embarking on the upgrading, I'm wondering if you can confirm that your graphics are fine after the upgrade and if movies and such like work as they should?

I'd be most grateful to hear back from you. After checking the You-tube video also, it seems that the upgrade should be a breeze.

Also, is the older OSX left on the system if you need to restore?

I'm just gathering that by looking through the forum at this subject that if all goes well, my files and previous software will be where it was, but the OSX has jumped to 10.10 Yosemite?

Many thanks

John

acvinal

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Apex, NC
The newer update 10.10.2 breaks the installation, the update overwrites "boot.efi" . How to solve this problem thank's in advance

Thank you for your post! I got my Mac Pro 2,1 to continue to be in service under 10.10.2.
AAGyxUwRndFA3K5dRSI1vqaBZi5C0NRs484

Proceed at your own risk.

ADVICE- Make a functional, bootable backup of your current unsupported Volume BEFORE you update to 10.10.2 Buy a cheap second (or whatever) and carbon copy clone the booting disk you made (see supported with the great posts here on how to do that, get it working then back it up). It made the process to fix the boot.efi when I updated to 10.10.2.

When the mac hangs during boot. Confirm by holding Command-S together at boot time and see where it hangs. If it keeps waiting on to recognize disk over and over, then follow the following:

In terminal (Obtain SU or issue the following SUDO commands)
Do a df to list your volumes
Obtain the Volume name of the damaged booting drive
then use the sudo cp /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/"Your User Folder name"/boot.efi.good

Then use the following:

sudo mv /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/"Your User Folder name"/boot.efi.good /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi.good

issue the following to confirm its there a cd to change the to the Volumes (see below) and then issue a ls (listing command) and look for the renamed item:

cd /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/usr/standalone/i386/
ls

if confirmed file is there, issue a pwd and then a ls to be sure its all there and should resemble-

/Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/usr/standalone/i386/

Then make a backup of your boot.efi thats been hammered (good practice)

sudo mv boot.efi to boot.efi2

Then verify with ls, then issue:

sudo mv boot.efi.good to boot.efi

Ok, that does half of it, you are almost there. Now issue:

cd /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/System/Library/CoreServices/

sudo cp boot.efi /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/"Your User Folder name"

Then do a ls for a listing to verify. Then:

cp /Volumes/"Name of your Drive"/"Your User Folder name"/boot.efi.good boot.efi2

I know most seasoned unix folks would cringe, vomit and then scream with the following, but be really careful and all will be fine.

Issue a pwd to verify your pointing to the damaged boot.efi listed in the directory

:eek:sudo rm boot.efi

sudo cp boot.efi2 boot.efi

If this happens again, then boot into the cloned emergency volume. boot directory.

icpiraiden

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
hi guys,

i created a yosemite stick with the SFOTT method. but my macbook air 1,1 dont boot from that. it just boots up lion. any advise for me?

thanks for your help

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I was able to install Yosemite on my 2006 MacPro last night but noticed I don't have audio. Do any of you know of a patch that will restore audio to the MacPro after installing Yosemite?

Huge Props to all the guys who developed this workaround to get current OS to install and function on non-supported Macs!

Kishtel

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
I was able to install Yosemite on my 2006 MacPro last night but noticed I don't have audio. Do any of you know of a patch that will restore audio to the MacPro after installing Yosemite?

Huge Props to all the guys who developed this workaround to get current OS to install and function on non-supported Macs!

Try this ;-)

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
The suspense is killing us.

Did you do the stuff in the link or something else?

Forgot to do the obvious checks before posting. I went to System Preferences and rechecked my sound setup. Once I reset everything my audio was restored. Easy check....I did not need to load any audio drivers...

artooks

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
Hi

Can someone help me I am on sfott on a Mac Pro 2,1 and now it asks me to update to 10.10.2 can I just update as it is or do I need to do something can someone please tell me what to do to update to 10.10.2. There is an explanation but It is not very clear is there an easier way ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.