Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Screen Snapshot can get confused between the main OS (Mavericks) and the OS within Parallels.

I usually solve that problem by going into the Finder in the main OS with the Parallels window still showing and then do a screenshot.

Also Command-Shift-4, which will allow you to open a sized box for a screenshot should also work.

darkprints

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
I am running ML 10.8.5 - is it possible/practical to install Parallels9 then install both Mavericks and also Snow Leopard, in addition to ML?

I don't have Parallels yet - do I have to reformat and partition my drive before use?

dKupe

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Hi Michael-

Just wanted to say thank you for this amazing thread! I called Apple just now and ordered Snow Leopard server. It went exactly as you said- I told the fellow I would be running it in a Virtual Machine so that I could run some legacy PowerPC apps in Rosetta. He said "perfect" and filled the order. I should have it next week.

Again- many thanks and Happy New Year!

Kupe

dKupe

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Well- I thought the order went smoothly! :eek:

But apparently not. I had carefully spelled out the Apple part number for the Snow Leopard server, but my email confirmation showed that I would be getting regular Snow Leopard.

Sooooo, back on the phone. They were able to cancel the first order, but this time the rep was having trouble finding Snow Leopard server, even with the part number. But he did finally find it, and yes the price is still $19.99. My email confirmation now says Mac OS X Server v10.6 Snow Leopard - Unlimited Client License Hopefully it's all correct this time.

Kupe

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Whew! :rolleyes:

----------

I am running ML 10.8.5 - is it possible/practical to install Parallels9 then install both Mavericks and also Snow Leopard, in addition to ML?

I have no experience running anything other OS' after Snow Leopard in Parallels

I don't have Parallels yet - do I have to reformat and partition my drive before use?

No, just install Parallels and then install Snow Leopard Server into Parallels

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Stable Virtual SL and Sudden Invalid OS Message

Thank you (again!) for Snow Leopard Server/Parallels 8 instructions--I'll be needing those tomorrow because today, my virtual SL (that's been stable for at least 11 months) suddenly generated the "invalid OS" error message and will not start up.

Wondering what might cause this? I haven't modified the VM. I haven't modified Parallels recently, but no previous update created a problem with any VM.

I do have SL Server discs on hand--figured I'd need it sooner or later--but just curious. Thanks.

Karen

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
You would think so... and I'll give it a go. I believe I had bad luck with that on another (physical) machine. But I am ready with SL Server. :)

dKupe

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Michael-

Thank you again for this great thread! I received my Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server software today from Apple and the install in Parallels 8 went exactly as you said. Not a hitch!

Well- just one. I find that I am unable to configure any printers in my Snow Leopard VM. In Parallels under Virtual Machine->Configure->Print, it even says "Print- Not available for this guest operating system"

Yikes- I hope that isn't true. I also tried adding Printers in Snow Leopard System Preferences, but no luck. My connected printer is a Brother MFC connected via Ethernet to my Network.

Is there no way to Print from a Snow Leopard Server VM?

Thanks!

Kupe

dKupe

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Try turning on print sharing in your native OS.

Thanks Michael- you are the master! I turned on Printer Sharing in my Mavericks native OS and immediately my Snow Leopard VM was able to see my network laser printer.

On a related note- while trying to solve this problem, I connected an Epson USB Inkjet directly to my host computer. Parallels immediately recognized it, but still I couldn't add the Printer in my Snow Leopard VM in System Preferences->Print&Fax. Apparently the only way for the Snow Leopard VM to see any printers is by Sharing from the host OS?

Not a big deal, but since my Windows VM does not have that limitation I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks again!

Kupe

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Has anyone succeeded in installing Leopard (10.5) (non-server version) under Parallels? Does the same technique described by MichaelLAX in the original post work more or less the same way for 10.5?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I did once install Leopard, but cannot recall how I did it. I presume it was using the same method:

[click on image to enlarge]

Attachments

• Leopard in Parallels.png
    Leopard in Parallels.png
    538.5 KB · Views: 1,194

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
You would think so... and I'll give it a go. I believe I had bad luck with that on another (physical) machine. But I am ready with SL Server. :)

Back-up VM works :). Does mean installing apps all over again (sigh). Thankfully there are just a few.

Apparently there is an ssue with a "duplicate MAC address" error message that isn't really an error, just an annoyance. Attempting to double-click the PVM file directly can generate it. I believe once the new VM appears in the virtual machines list and is opened from there, the message can be eliminated (by deleting the previous VM from the machines list?).

As always, thanks.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Where are you located?

UPDATE: Ah, it looks like Canada; can't offer any advice on shipments to Canada, but I am surprised by the extra delay.

Last edited:

davidmorr

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Only took a couple of days in Australia. Maybe there is more demand than they thought and they have to make more….

BTW, is anyone having problems with copy and paste using Parallels? I find sometimes that stuff I paste into the VM only gets the first few lines. This is where it is copied on the host machine.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
BTW, is anyone having problems with copy and paste using Parallels? I find sometimes that stuff I paste into the VM only gets the first few lines. This is where it is copied on the host machine.

Check in with the Parallels Support Forum and report back here.

RJVB

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
I've followed the instructions to clone my current 10.6 set-up and run it in a VM, as an upbeat to upgrading to 10.9 .

I noticed something weird and potentially fatal: with 2560MB (2.5GB) allocated, the guest reports having 4GB. Only Activity Monitor sees the correct amount of RAM. As one could expect I've already had virtual KPs due to being out of memory. Even more curiously, the RAM-used display never shows 100% in that case - but maybe it reflects the actual amount of memory in the host?

Is this a known issue, or could it be I created some kind of configuration file that sets the amount of memory (supposedly to limit but without checking)? I'm not aware of such functionality on OS X, and couldn't find any confirmation that Parallels does on-the-fly RAM compression to present more RAM to the guest than actually allocated.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Sounds like another problem for the Parallels Mac OS X Guest Forum.

How were you able to "clone" your SL and convert that to a workable Parallels file?

RJVB

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
If memory serves me well, I first cloned to a regular dmg (possibly simply using Carbon Copy Cloner), then used VBoxManage to convert that to a file VirtualBox can work with, and then finally used Parallel's import feature. But it's also possible that I used VBoxManage to convert to a vdi file.

But since I found a free utility from Paragon (the same who make NTFS drivers for OS X and Linux) that promises to do this sort of thing in 1 step. I haven't tried it yet. The nice thing with CCC is that it skips unnecessary files (cache, tmp, etc) and you can deselect items you don't want to include).

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Be sure to post the Paragon link when it is released.

I am assuming you cloned from Snow Leopard Server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.