Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
This jailbreak opens your iPhone for full disk access and installs Installer.app so you can add pretty much any third party application you like.

To use it, open Safari and point your browser to http://www.jailbreakme.com. Once there, read the directions, scroll to the bottom, and tap Install AppSnapp. If Safari disappears and you return to the main Home screen, you're good. Just wait a minute more for your unit to restart--don't touch anything until you see the slide to unlock screen. If Safari hangs, just quit out (press and hold Home for 4-8 seconds) and try again.

Once you get to slide-to-unlock, go ahead and unlock your iPhone or iPod touch. You'll return to your home screen which will contain a new Installer.app icon. If you'll want to ssh into your unit, install the BSD subsystem, Community Sources, and then install Open SSH--you may need to upgrade Installer.app. With Open SSH and sshfs, you can open Finder windows that offer direct drag and drop access to your phone or touch.

Enjoy!

bluefiberoptics

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2005
My screen is now black after hitting the Installer App. But it connects to my PC. Hmm..

Edit: Ok, I reset my iPod Touch and now everything works!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Does it work over edge?

I don't have a wife around at the moment And I am wondering if this work over edge?

I tried it and after safari crashed, I let it sat on the home screen for 20 min, nothing happened I tried rebooting manually and it din't work

Anyone with similar result? does it only work over wifi?

mattydub

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
this may sound like a "noobish" question, but after doing this auto jailbreak, will your ipod still sync with itunes??

Zawamura

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Sweden
I don't have a wife around at the moment And I am wondering if this work over edge?

I tried it and after safari crashed, I let it sat on the home screen for 20 min, nothing happened I tried rebooting manually and it din't work

Anyone with similar result? does it only work over wifi?

Think it only works over wifi.

Rootberry

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
This really does work! I tried the One Touch Jailbreak download and had errors. This worked in 3min! Make sure you use a wifi connection, just to be sure that you get maximum stability.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Sort of scary that a simple TIFF exploit can install whatever the hell it wants, execute it and tell your iPod to restart.

DeXtA

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Ipswich
Tryed this and it does work. Some key things to do:

-Installer app WILL crash on the first attempt. Simply hold the home and power button for a few seconds and then turn it back on. This will now work.

I'm having problems installing apps though, only ONE has worked.

mattydub

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
thanx for the answer on the itunes sync...

I have seen alot of diff info while researching this and I have a few questions Im hoping can be answered here.

Do I need to install SSH, or is this only needed if i want to dig around inside my ipod?? All I really want is to add a few apps??

Also, do I need to install "Launcherx" to get the apps working??? I read somewhere that this is the case, but haven't heard anything else about it??

Darkjenso

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
i clicked on the installer on the home and it seems to be sticking on Checking sources, what does this mean?

EDIT:

ok, now its not working at all, it crashed, and now when i click on it is showing a tip and bottom bar with literally nothing on it, slightly concerned....

Darkjenso

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
ok, it seems to work fine now, although i have a few issues and a couple of questons;

summerboard doesnt seem to do any notisable change to the interface.

the pong game as soon as it opens goes right back to the main menu

also, who controls what is inside the installer? is there anyway of getting the iphone apps in there as i cant seem to connect via sftp, it simply says

I/O error: connection failed
sftp://root@[ip adress]

there was a problem while connecting to [ip adress]

it means i cant access it although its supposedly been jailbroken. this was my last chance as every other method of tring to jailbreak my ipod have failed, there also seems to be quite a few applications that i have seen in screenshots that are not in the installer.

who controls the instaler?

Z-Rated

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I'm having problems installing apps though, only ONE has worked.

Im in the same boat... the only one I got to work is the mac backgrounds....

I install the app, then it runs for less than a second then its back to the home screen. Does it have to do with the way that its been jailbreaked? :eek:

Any ideas?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Im in the same boat... the only one I got to work is the mac backgrounds....

I install the app, then it runs for less than a second then its back to the home screen. Does it have to do with the way that its been jailbreaked? :eek:

Any ideas?

I have no idea. I can only say that since using that site I haven't been able to install the iPhone apps and I've been having problems with Installer.app freezing, but that might be my internet.

I have gotten other apps installed through installer.

Z-Rated

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I have no idea. I can only say that since using that site I haven't been able to install the iPhone apps and I've been having problems with Installer.app freezing, but that might be my internet.

I have gotten other apps installed through installer.

which ones have you gotten to work?
I just tried installer, and it does the same thing.... :(

w00t I got them to work.... I installed BSD substatiion.... then reloaded them and they work. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.