Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
For the desktop AMD wins because of platform longevity (and TB is not really needed).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm afraid I don't see how this addresses my question of whose top-end mobile processor provides the highest single-core performance.
From what I've read Intel has the edge, likewise Intel is purportedly better with power consumption, as they've had years and years to tweak and improve power efficiencies.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
From what I've read Intel has the edge, likewise Intel is purportedly better with power consumption, as they've had years and years to tweak and improve power efficiencies.
Certainly for single-core performance, that's been my understanding. That's why I'm always suspicious when I read an Intel vs. AMD comparison that omits that specific metric.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems these are the fastest currently-available mobile processors from Intel and AMD, respectively. And, at least based on these benchmarks from notebookcheck.net, Intel's CPU offers significantly higher single-core performance:

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 8.05.41 PM.png

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Certainly for single-core performance, that's been my understanding. That's why I'm always suspicious when I read an Intel vs. AMD comparison that omits that specific metric.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems these are the fastest currently-available mobile processors from Intel and AMD, respectively. And, at least based on these benchmarks from notebookcheck.net, Intel's CPU offers significantly higher single-core performance:

View attachment 888468
Zen+ is not at parity with Intel. This is irrelevant.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
What does not make sense is to bring up Zen+ when people are talking about Zen 2.
throAU wrote a long post in which he claimed broad superiority of AMD's processors over Intel. When I asked him about single-core performance for top-end mobile CPU's, he claimed that AMD's performance in that area is currently comparable to Intel's. I was skeptical, so I asked him for comparative benchmarks, and he didn't reply. The only way it makes sense to assess whether throAU's claim is accurate is to compare the single-core performance of the fastest currently-available mobile Intel and AMD processors

I twice asked, on this thread, what AMD's fastest current mobile processor is, and no one responded with a model no. So, left to my own devices, the best I can figure is that it's the 3750H. If that's not the case, and you actually want to be helpful, then tell me which model it is.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
throAU wrote a long post in which he claimed broad superiority of AMD's processors over Intel. When I asked him about single-core performance for top-end mobile CPU's, he claimed that AMD's performance in that area is currently comparable to Intel's. I was skeptical, so I asked him for comparative benchmarks, and he didn't reply. The only way it makes sense to assess whether throAU's claim is accurate is to compare the single-core performance of the fastest currently-available mobile Intel and AMD processors

I twice asked, on this thread, what AMD's fastest current mobile processor is, and no one responded with a model no. So, left to my own devices, the best I can figure is that it's the 3750H. If that's not the case, and you actually want to be helpful, then tell me which model it is.
He said it was currently comparable with Zen 2, which is still only available on CPUs.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
He said it was currently comparable with Zen 2, which is still only available on CPUs.
Hunh?? We're talking about CPUs. Did you perhaps mean to write that Zen 2 is only commercially available for desktop, rather than mobile, CPUs? It's really hard to decipher what you're attempting to say.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hunh?? We're talking about CPUs. Did you perhaps mean to write that Zen 2 is only commercially available for desktop, rather than mobile, CPUs? It's really hard to decipher what you're attempting to say.
If they have graphics, AMD coined the term APU.

Zen 2 CPUs are available, but Zen 2 desktop APUs are not.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida

if no one here can answer that question, why don’t you do a Google search and perhaps you can find your answer?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
if no one here can answer that question, why don’t you do a Google search and perhaps you can find your answer?
How about being a bit less lazy and actually reading the thread before obnoxiously presuming to tell someone to do a Google search?

Had you the sense to do that, you would have known I clearly already did my own searching, which is how I found both the Ryzen 7 3750H and the Ryzen 7 4800H. I found the Ryzen 7 4800H because it's the fastest mobile processor AMD lists on their website, but it turns out it's not yet commercially available. That led me to the Ryzen 7 3750H, which appears to be the fastest of the current AMD mobile processors. It is the fastest H-series AMD processer listed in notebookcheck.net's very extensive list. But I'm not sure there's not some faster current AMD mobile model I've missed (perhaps an "extreme" model, if AMD happens to have such), hence my question.

Further, the question wasn't asked out of the blue; people on the thread have been challenging me on whether I'm using the appropriate AMD model to compare with Intel's top mobile processor; thus it's natural to ask: if that's not the appropriate (i.e., fastest current mobile) AMD model, what is? [Again, something you would have understood had you bothered to read the thread.]

Last edited:

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
For all of you who follow CPU specs, one simple question:

Does i7-10710U have integrated TB3 support? It's still on 14nm, and I highly doubt that TB3 is integrated, but never the less, wanted to check it out here as well. Tried googling, couldn't find anything besides that it supports TB3 (doh!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.