Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that Apple's Intel lineup of Macs will launch on June 6 2006 in Taiwan.

Intel processors will be initially adopted in Apple Computer’s entry-level Macintosh PC lineup, including the Mac Mini, iBook, and iMac series, with a launch in Taiwan slated for June 6 2006, according to sources at Taiwan PC distributors.

The article is a bit unclear as later it states that Intel Macs are expected in January 2006 at Macworld Expo and also incorrectly claims that the x86 Mac OS X is already available from Apple.

Regardless, Digitimes has had a relatively poor record in the past with their sources.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I think if it's jumbled so much in the article, and then tries to give an exact date (june 6), then this rumour is not worth being credited.

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Date from resellers?

If they really are quoting from resellers, then those vendors may just be going with the official information from Apple (plus embellishments concerning which computers will go first). The official line from Apple remains Jobs's comment last year at WWDC that Intel Macs will be shipping within a year, or by June 2006 (June '06 which is easily confused with June 6).

I really think that this article is rehashing previously known information, except that it might not have gotten all of the points exactly right.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They don't say Intel Macs will be shipping in January, only that Apple will "unveil" them then. That's probably correct, in that Apple will likely tell us which specific models will be Intelized. That still tells us nothing about when we can get our hands on them. For that information, we'll watch for rumors from more reliable sources.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So... Intel Macs in Taiwan before the rest of the world? Or in June, AFTER the rest of the world? Or... ?

It's OK, the storm of crazy rumors (including the guy who says NO Intel Macs until 2007) is part of the MWSF fun :D

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Gotta say that the timetable sounds more realistics than any of the other ones discussed here during the recent weeks. :eek:

nagromme said:
So... Intel Macs in Taiwan before the rest of the world? Or in June, AFTER the rest of the world? Or... ?

It's OK, the storm of crazy rumors (including the guy who says NO Intel Macs until 2007) is part of the MWSF fun :D

Well like it or not Taiwan is where the Macs originate from nowadays, as do nearly all other computers as well...

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
sjo said:
Well like it or not Taiwan is where the Macs originate from nowadays, as do nearly all other computers as well...
Sure, but that in no way means that the first shipments will go to Taiwanese customers.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
sjo said:
Gotta say that the timetable sounds more realistics than any of the other ones discussed here during the recent weeks. :eek:

Actually Macs today are from China, China is not exactly Taiwan :rolleyes:

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
generik said:
Actually Macs today are from China, China is not exactly Taiwan :rolleyes:

Really? When did that change? When I got mine about a year ago it came from Taiwan.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I can tell why this was a page two - the article rambles and doesn't say much of anything at all...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Wow what stunning insight. I mean take the most blatantly obvious likely possibility (Since Jobs himself said that Apple would be SHIPPING BY June '06) and make that bold claim.

Question: Has Digitimes EVER made a prediction that was right? I seem to remember them claiming G5 PowerBooks and iBooks last year. Or was that someone else?

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
So bogus

Assuming that Digitimes didn't just pull this out of their butt, then I would say it is intentional leakage from Apple for one of the following 2 reasons:

1. to stop investors from overinflating their price. Because intel macs are not on their way.

or

2. to stop buyers from waiting for intel for the next month. Because intel macs are on their way.

I think 2 is more probable. If intel macs were not on their way Apple would have quashed this long ago. They don't want stock buyers to be disappointed, and it has not just been rumour sites that have reported this, but legit news services. Apple may not make official comment on rumours from rumour sites, but they'd comment if analysts were overinflating their price on them.

However, with all this talk of intel macs in less than 2 months their sales might hurt more if they didn't send out some disinformation.

David :cool:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
That's why I hate Apple, under no circumstances should a company need to resort to playing mind games just to get me to buy their product. I should be able to confidently walk into the store, and know that what I am getting is the latest and greatest, and not something that will be obsolete tomorrow just because some marketer consulted her tarot cards which told her to launch the new line that day.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
ruud said:
6/6/6 seems to be an interesting date though...

was'nt that ment to be when good old Billy no mates Gates was ment to be shipping his next Windows OS ??

or even the end of the world maybe ? hold they are both the same :D

nope i'm hoping for a slow release in Jan for intel mac (mac mini)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Macrumors said:
Regardless, Digitimes has had a relatively poor record in the past with their sources.

Then why do we continue to post stories coming from Digitimes? They NEVER get anything right, I think they are a just a parody site for Apple rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.