Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I have just downloaded the 14.1 updates for HomePod (Large) I have 2 Homepods in stereo in the living room and 1 in the bedroom but when I tried to intercom from the living room to the bedroom Siri said, 'you can only intercom 1HomePod at a time ' does this mean because the HomePods in the bedroom are a stereo pair that I cant or am I giving Siri the wrong command? If I am not. giving it the right command what should I be asking it, please?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hey Sir, 'Ask HomePod to intercom the bedroom, can you come here please'
You were definitely an Echo user before, i can tell lol. I think you should just say, “Hey Siri, Intercom to bedroom, can you come here please.”

Last edited:

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I just tried using it and just said, ”I love you” to send to my wife. Unfortunately it sent a text message to 3 people. Luckily I didn’t say something inappropriate.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I have a feeling they see it as a HomePod mini feature that’s being added to the normal HomePod and it won’t happen until the mini launches.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
All the reviewers on YT are saying this should be available on 14.1. Now I’m just confused.

Here’s just one example:

Mrmacs79

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
I'm thoroughly confused as well. All my devices are upgraded to 14.1 and when I try to use Intercom from my iPhone to my two HomePods, I get the following message on the iPhone.

IMG_2340.jpg

However, according to information taken directly from Apple's web site, it says it will work will all your iOS devices:

IMG_2339.jpg

Why would this be touted and shown on the site if it doesn't work until 14.2. Additionally, where is that "Intercom" setup screen within the Home app as shown in the YT video posted above? I haven't been able to find that anywhere in 14.1.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I am on 14.1 and I do not see any intercom options in my Home settings, what am I missing or doing wrong

You mean you’re wanting to use the iPhone to use intercom? You can’t. It’s HomePod to HomePod only until iOS 14.2 comes out for the iPhones & iPads.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
When I try to intercom, it doesn’t seem to read the message that I’ve asked it to read. I just hear a ‘message sent’ like whhhiiiip noise. What is the exact query to do this and when exactly do you speak your message that you’d like to send?

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I can intercom using my 4 HomePods, but they all get the same message....I have not been able to target to a specific room/homepod yet....probably just need to learn the proper commands.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
From my bedroom, I just say, “Hey, Siri, intercom the kitchen ....” and it works as an isolated intercom message to just the kitchen. I have five other HomePods that remain silent.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
From my bedroom, I just say, “Hey, Siri, intercom the kitchen ....” and it works as an isolated intercom message to just the kitchen. I have five other HomePods that remain silent.
Do you just starting speaking your message immediately after saying “intercom the kitchen”? So, “Hey Siri, intercom the kitchen ‘it’s time for dinner’”? When I try this it doesn’t send the message; it just sends a message sent like noise to the HomePod.

My first natural assumption for how to use this feature was similar to how you text through the HomePod. “Hey Siri, text John”. Pause for Siri to ask you what you would like to say to John. And then you read Siri the message.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Do you just starting speaking your message immediately after saying “intercom the kitchen”? So, “Hey Siri, intercom the kitchen ‘it’s time for dinner’”? When I try this it doesn’t send the message; it just sends a message sent like noise to the HomePod.

My first natural assumption for how to use this feature was similar to how you text through the HomePod. “Hey Siri, text John”. Pause for Siri to ask you what you would like to say to John. And then you read Siri the message.
It’s worked both ways but more consistently when I do pause. I mean this for intercom only on HomePod. Every other command on the HomePod or for any other device, I never use a pause. I just speak naturally. Same for texting on the HomePod. I never pause.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
It’s worked both ways but more consistently when I do pause. I mean this for intercom only on HomePod. Every other command on the HomePod or for any other device, I never use a pause. I just speak naturally.
Oh that’s interesting because when I try to use intercom on my homepods it doesn’t ask me what I’d like to say, and it doesn’t transfer the message when I simply say the message immediately after the query.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Oh that’s interesting because when I try to use intercom on my homepods it doesn’t ask me what I’d like to say, and it doesn’t transfer the message when I simply say the message immediately after the query.
Hmm, I’ll play around with it some more and see how I can get more consistency then report back. I don’t recall Siri asking what I want to say with intercom either. It sounds like just an audible prompt sound. I don’t pause in between when I text on the HomePod either.
Gotta wait for the rest of the family to get up though lol.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just tested five times without pausing and it worked flawlessly each time.

“Hey, Siri, intercom the kitchen, what time is it?” And my voice came back on only the kitchen HomePod, “what time is it?”

Theres an audible tone recognizing that it’s an intercom command, then another tone that the message was sent. A moment later, there’s an audible tone on the receiving HomePod alerting that an intercom message is about to be spoken and the message is spoken. This all happens within 3 seconds from the time I finish speaking the intercom message.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.