Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I have had a little play about with the intercom function more....and I think its not working too well because of the names of my homepods....(Lounge, Kitchen, Skye's & Tyler's) the lounge and kitchen work fine in either direction.....but when I try anything directed to Skye's or Tyler's homepod the message goes everywhere.

I do not think this will be a function that I will use much based on initial testing so far.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I have had a little play about with the intercom function more....and I think its not working too well because of the names of my homepods....(Lounge, Kitchen, Skye's & Tyler's) the lounge and kitchen work fine in either direction.....but when I try anything directed to Skye's or Tyler's homepod the message goes everywhere.

HomePods want to be named for the room they are in, and the rooms need to be set up in the Home app. The MacRumors article about Intercom explains this.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
HomePods want to be named for the room they are in, and the rooms need to be set up in the Home app. The MacRumors article about Intercom explains this.

They are named correctly....Skye’s & Tyler’s are the kids bedrooms that have HomePods in, as well as a load of Philips hue bulbs and tado smart radiator thermostats all of which are used/named in the home app....every Siri command relating to music, lighting and heating work perfectly using Siri for all rooms in my house but the intercom command I can never target Skye’s or Tyler’s HomePod on its own, the message always goes everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.