Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
My thoughts are that ICS is much better than what came before (primarily because of what they stole from WebOS), but I have no idea about the stability, which is for sure a problem on everything before ICS. If it is as stable as iOS, this is a significant improvement for Android....assuming the hardware is better than it used to be as well.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Meh.

He says stuff like "you have to close apps like this" while showing the iPhone's force-quit method. I mean, if he's just going to lie about iOS then, sure, it's easy to make Android look better. Is he just ignorant, or trying to mislead people? I don't know, but I find it hard to believe what he says about Android when I know what he says about iOS isn't totally accurate.

He also has that tech-reviewer problem where he focuses in on his own needs to the exclusion of all others. For example, he's confused why the iPhone's screen isn't 16x9. Never mind the fact that 9x16 is a pretty terrible format for books, web sites, and documents. Nah...we won't even mention that. We'll just pretend that video is the ONLY thing people might want to use a smartphone for.

Also, I didn't watch the whole thing, but does he ever address the fact that his Android phone clearly still has that animation lag for which Android is so famous? That's a deal-breaker for me, and I've yet to see an Android reviewer even address it. He can't make me not notice it by pretending it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Android is getting better

I think ICS is looking really good and I like the way it looks and operates but I wonder about a few of things mentioned in the video comparison. Sure, there are customizable screens, but what does that cost in terms of battery life? The iPhone has one clock that is always visible thanks to the menu bar so the need to have multiple clocks is unnecessary. The widget used to take the presenter directly to his youtube page was nice with and had a nice visual to go along with it, but you can navigate to a page once and then add that webpage to your home screen without having to use another application to do it.

So even though Android looks good and operates really well(especially so with the example of finding directions from a webpage), I would still use iOS for what it offers and the fact that I can have the same operating system(or at least compatible versions of it) on different devices.

Another thought... There were a couple of people responding to that Youtube video stating that they wanted 4G to come to the iPhone. I have the 4S and I have 4G in Tempe, Arizona right now.

Last edited:

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Thats not a comparison, all he does is show things he can do better on an Android and he's an idiot. If it were a far comparison, he would list things you can easily do on an iPhone you can't on an Android. Syncing music to your iTunes is a good place to start...

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I think ICS is looking really good and I like the way it looks and operates but I wonder about a few of things mentioned in the video comparison. Sure, there are customizable screens, but what does that cost in terms of battery life? The iPhone has one clock that is always visible thanks to the menu bar so the need to have multiple clocks is unnecessary. The widget used to take the presenter directly to his youtube page was nice with and had a nice visual to go along with it, but you can navigate to a page once and then add that webpage to your home screen without having to use another application to do it.

So even though Android looks good and operates really well(especially so with the example of finding directions from a webpage), I would still use iOS for what it offers and the fact that I can have the same operating system(or at least compatible versions of it) on different devices.

Another thought... There were a couple of people responding to that Youtube video stating that they wanted 4G to come to the iPhone. I have the 4S and I have 4G in Tempe, Arizona right now.
People want an LTE 4G iphone. iPhone 4S is HSPA+ max of 14.4 Mbps = att's fraud 4G symbol......................

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
People want an LTE 4G iphone. iPhone 4S is HSPA+ max of 14.4 Mbps = att's fraud 4G symbol......................

Fraud? The ITU changed its arbitrary definition of 4G to include HSPA+. Where's the fraud? I'm pretty sure that even the LTE networks that we are seeing rolled out in the US now didn't even qualify as 4G by the original definition.

Appropriately, Apple does differentiate between 4G and LTE in iOS.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm thrilled at how Android is progressing. I wish it were BETTER. It will light a fire under Apple's butt to keep rapidly improving and innovating. Competition is GOOD.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I'm sure the 1% or 2% of Android users on ICS are thrilled with it.

Seriously. ICS has been out for 4 months now and how many Android phones besides the one it launched with it (galaxy nexus) actually have it? Like 2 and it hasnt even hit all of those users yet, maybe half. Jellybean will be out well before most users ever see ICS. Useless.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Seriously. ICS has been out for 4 months now and how many Android phones besides the one it launched with it (galaxy nexus) actually have it? Like 2 and it hasnt even hit all of those users yet, maybe half. Jellybean will be out well before most users ever see ICS. Useless.
More than 2, but less than 10. ;)
Most of the older phones can't run it anyway.

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
Fraud? The ITU changed its arbitrary definition of 4G to include HSPA+. Where's the fraud? I'm pretty sure that even the LTE networks that we are seeing rolled out in the US now didn't even qualify as 4G by the original definition.

Appropriately, Apple does differentiate between 4G and LTE in iOS.

Guys, there is no standard for 4G yet. LTE isn't even 4G. Also, good luck getting 14 megabits on HSPA+. More like 1-1.5. It's the same network that the iPhone connected to before iOS 5.1. It was 3G last month, and it still is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Technical_definition

dainja

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
Most of his comments are ridiculous.

His Android phone is cluttered and he navigates through dozens of screens before getting anywhere. All the icons are hard to read. I'm sorry, but the Apple GUI is far better than that phone's.

Android is great for customization but it does most things counter-intuitively.

Some of his gripes are completely wrong anyways. iOS definitely takes you to maps if you click an address - the only reason it doesn't on his phone is that he's using a third party browser (despite how good Safari is).

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
He sounds JUST like another video on youtube where the speaker was trying to show why "Intelligent Design" was the correct way of thinking.

As in the ID video this person is showing what HE believes to be Android's advantages and ignoring anything else.

So Android has more ways to customise it. That is not a failing on the part of iOS but a decision by Apple to make the iOS experience simpler and smoother.

I don't like the screen on the phone he had. The mottled effect wasn't pleasant at all.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Lol, if I didn't know better I would think this video/ this guy was a troll...

I'd hate to see what he thinks of his iPad in a couple weeks.

I won't bash Android, I think it has some advantages over iOS. But my gripes w/ Android OS were the exact things he praised on my Android work phone (it is only running Gingerbread tho so I know ICS would probably yield a better experience).

I didn't like the presentation on the most basic apps, and I didn't like the browser especially (my friend tells me the Chrome mobile browser is something to smile about tho). I think apps are wildly inconsistent, menu and settings are a headache to navigate b/c they are never constructed the same app to app.

Widgets were a nice new thing at first... then I realized they don't really tell much information and I don't need to have half of my widgets displaying all day. Really tho, who needs 4 clocks?

And also, who wouldn't just Google in n out w/ location services on and just click map... would be like 5 steps faster than launching the browser, going to the site, navigating, typing address, clicking maps, etc. Since this guy is pretty anal about making 1 extra click.

Listening to this guy rant, he just comes off as dumb, my $.02

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Summary of his arguments:
1. ICS has widgets that you can place on the home screen.
2. ICS has more data detectors (e.g., address, web URL) than iOS.
3. ICS lets you pick browser, maps, etc.
4. ICS is better because the screen is bigger and 16x9

His failings;
1. He points out how difficult it is to find and organize apps on iOS. Instead of pointing out how ICS does this better, he skims through poorly organized and cluttered list of apps and widgets then points out how ICS has widgets.
2. Spending a lot of time on stupid boot up animation and arguing how that makes ICS moe attractive.

Don't get me wrong, I love competition and I think iOS needs to catch up on some aspect. And let's face it, iOS UI is showing age in some respect. But nothing that he demonstrates makes me want to even play with ICS.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I mean, if he's just going to lie about iOS then, sure, it's easy to make Android look better. Is he just ignorant, or trying to mislead people? I don't know, but I find it hard to believe what he says about Android when I know what he says about iOS isn't totally accurate.

What did he say that you think is misleading? I have both and can confirm everything he said.

I'm really considering jumping to Android... the only thing holding me to the iPhone is battery life.

My problem is I want stock vanilla ics in a device I like. The nexus is great at everything except being a phone. And everyone else adds their bloat to the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The fact that Android must be distributed over a variety of manufacturer's devices is a huge weakness in my opinion.

So Ice Cream Sandwich, while impressive, is limited in usability for some Android users with older phones. This means it only reaches a minority of customers. Combine that with the rate Google releases new operating systems?

As they say close to home, fuhgeddaboutit.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
If I'll change my iPhone 4S for an Android... which one would you recommend?... Galaxy Skyrocket or Galaxy Note?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I like features from iOS and features of Android.

If next iPhone disappoints, I'll jump to Android (try it out). I had bad impressions of it before with my mytouch 4G.

I think I'm going to go with Samsung Galaxy III.

Thought the new iPhone (if it comes out at fall) will be the perfect time to upgrade my contract.

Really excited to see what iOS 6 offers, hopefully a new homescreen, turn by turn directions, improved multitasking, more notification center widgets, and tons of other stuff.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I always wanted to try android phones and win7 but that means i will have to get rid of my iphone :( and i will hate not liking the other phones and not having the iphone on hand , here is pretty hard find a factory unlock one.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I like features from iOS and features of Android.

If next iPhone disappoints, I'll jump to Android (try it out). I had bad impressions of it before with my mytouch 4G.

I think I'm going to go with Samsung Galaxy III.

Thought the new iPhone (if it comes out at fall) will be the perfect time to upgrade my contract.

Really excited to see what iOS 6 offers, hopefully a new homescreen, turn by turn directions, improved multitasking, more notification center widgets, and tons of other stuff.

With no Steve around these time its going to be pretty interesting to see how the os evolve , maybe they will loose it up a bit ? Open the notification center widgets to 3rd party apps could be agreat idea like a lot of apps can benefit from it also i will love a quick reply feature like in bitesms that you could access in the notification center !

Shanekarpi251

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
MN
Most of the stuff the guy talked about were features that aren't necessary (widgets and customization). I just recently converted from Android to iPhone and yeah some things are different to do but I think that's good not everything is the same as on Android or else what would the point of iOS be? I don't believe he mentioned one good thing about iOS so the guy is obviously bias and I see no point in why he even made that video. Sounds like a guy who has a lot of time on his hands if you ask me..

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
+10 on waiting for ICS...just switched from SG2 to an iphone, and happy about it. Was on Android for 3 years. It worked, but as others have mentioned it just doesn't have that cohesive snappy feel that ios offers. Maybe ICS will change that to a degree...but ios is a refreshing change after 3 years of chaotic Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.