Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
People saying that his review is biased, I agree. But I also think it was the point. In the introduction, he was talking about how everyone always says iOS is better than Android's operating system. The purpose of the video, IMO, was to provide a rebuttal to people bagging on the Android OS rather than provide an unbiased review on both OS's. Just my 2 cents.

And I really like the fact that with widgets, one doesn't have to open up an app in order to get stuff done. Everything is there on the homescreen. It's just different design/functional philosophies between Apple and Google.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
People saying that his review is biased, I agree. But I also think it was the point. In the introduction, he was talking about how everyone always says iOS is better than Android's operating system. The purpose of the video, IMO, was to provide a rebuttal to people bagging on the Android OS rather than provide an unbiased review on both OS's. Just my 2 cents.

And I really like the fact that with widgets, one doesn't have to open up an app in order to get stuff done. Everything is there on the homescreen. It's just different design/functional philosophies between Apple and Google.

I used to think that about widgets too. But after a while I realized that they were more annoying than helpful. The only widget I found myself actually checking regularly was weather, which apple now provides in the notification center. With other stuff like sports, news, fb updates, etc, I slowly learned that it was cleaner and more efficient to just access the apps for this info. Half the time the widgets would freeze and/or slow the phone down, and even when you did check the widget, it was usually just some cursory info, and you would still have to open the app to do/access anything meaningful.

Last thing on widgets, and this goes back to the preference of aesthetics factor, but widgets contribute to that chaotic, choppy Android UI in my opinion...I now prefer the clean homescreen of the iphone.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I used to think that about widgets too. But after a while I realized that they were more annoying than helpful. The only widget I found myself actually checking regularly was weather, which apple now provides in the notification center. With other stuff like sports, news, fb updates, etc, I slowly learned that it was cleaner and more efficient to just access the apps for this info. Half the time the widgets would freeze and/or slow the phone down, and even when you did check the widget, it was usually just some cursory info, and you would still have to open the app to do/access anything meaningful.

Last thing on widgets, and this goes back to the preference of aesthetics factor, but widgets contribute to that chaotic, choppy Android UI in my opinion...I now prefer the clean homescreen of the iphone.

You make some really good points, and since I haven't actually used an Android phone on a daily basis before, I can't really respond to them. But hopefully those drawbacks are addressed in ICS.

As for the aesthetics, we'll have to agree to disagree. For me, the widgets make the screen seem more sophisticated and less boring than just rows of icons. There's nothing wrong with Apple's icon layout--it just seems a bit old and boring after so many years of using the same thing.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California

When I had my Epic 4G, I really liked the widgets at first. Over time, I developed the same feelings toward them, though. I actually used less and less widgets because, yeah, I found it the actual apps to be quicker. The only widgets I consistently used were battery indicators and ColorNote stickies.

The app I miss the most from Android? SwipePad. Similar to the notification center, you access SwipePad by swiping from one of the corners of the screen to reveal a grid of your favorite apps. In the same motion, drag your finger to the app you want to use, then release. It was super convenient because I basically memorized where I placed each app on the grid so I never had to look at my screen to navigate through all the homescreen/tiles. After I found SwipePad, I only had one homescreen with no widgets besides a custom clock.

Aside from that, that's the only actual app I miss from Android. There are some other features I miss as well (basically going into customization), but I'm much happier with iOS. ICS is cool, but I like its direction more than actually using it. I'm really curious to see what they think of next in terms of designs and features.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
After playing with ICS via CyanogenMod 9 on my Touchpad for a little while now, I like it. There is no requirement to use widgets, but the option is there. If you just want a simple icon layout, fine. No problem. Do it that way.

The biggest issue for me is Google Play, aka app store. Def not as refined as Apple's. But you can def get a ton of free games and apps. Even the new Angry Birds Space was free.

I like little things in ICS, like haptic feedback, having Flash Player 11 installed, but only activate when I give it permission, easy access to multiple style keyboards and layouts, real multitasking, with a nice rowof buttons for back, home and task tray, and of course great notifications. Android has a lot of great features, some that Apple now uses, so it is not all doom and gloom.

But with a jailbroken iphone and ipad, I utilize the best features of WebOS, iOS and Android into my iDvices, which in my opinion, makes them hands down the best in the world. :D That is not to say I don't have an appreciation for my new ICS Touchpad. I'm loving my Touchpad all over again.

-----
via CM9 32gb TP

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
This video was well done, but here's my perspective on why I will NEVER use Android.

1) It's basically a tracking device. I don't care how many custom ROMs you put on it. It's a tracking device. Nobody is really auditing the code, and nobody is forking it to work independently of Google. I'm not buying a Google tracking device.

2) It wasn't designed to be fast in the first place. It needs a complete rewrite to work like iOS, and Google hasn't done it and will never do it because better hardware is slowly blurring the flaws.

3) It's not truly open-source. This is what Tizen and Meego are for. I don't want to use anything from a company like Google, but rather, I want to use something that is more like the mobile equivalent of putting Linux on your PC. Worked on by users, for users. Not some advertising company.

4) It drains your battery like crazy, especially when you use free apps. This shouldn't even be an issue for a phone. It's a tiny mobile OS. It shouldn't be using this many resources. I guess that's what comes with using a phone that is actively monitoring what you put into it.

5) I shouldn't need to root my phone to run certain apps. I should be able to add packages the same way I do on Linux and get them updated by adding repos, much like from the Cydia store, which I also need to jailbreak to get to. An OS should be so free that it will run ANYTHING from any store or website or kid's github page the minute you install that OS.

Android does a lot of things right, as shown in the video. However, these things are outweighed by these 5 points.

I use an iPhone despite those 5 points because Apple is a better company than Google. I trust them more. They make me want to buy their phone, despite the fact that I need to jailbreak it, which once I do, allows me to everything I want.

Google is a cancer to the internet and to the mobile OS arena, and nobody should be using their crap.

Once something that follows the 5 points comes out, such as Tizen or any Linux-type true open source mobile OS, I will drop my iPhone for that phone, because it will do what I want the way I want, without Google's crap involved in it.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
When I had my Epic 4G, I really liked the widgets at first. Over time, I developed the same feelings toward them, though. I actually used less and less widgets because, yeah, I found it the actual apps to be quicker. The only widgets I consistently used were battery indicators and ColorNote stickies.

The app I miss the most from Android? SwipePad. Similar to the notification center, you access SwipePad by swiping from one of the corners of the screen to reveal a grid of your favorite apps. In the same motion, drag your finger to the app you want to use, then release. It was super convenient because I basically memorized where I placed each app on the grid so I never had to look at my screen to navigate through all the homescreen/tiles. After I found SwipePad, I only had one homescreen with no widgets besides a custom clock.

Aside from that, that's the only actual app I miss from Android. There are some other features I miss as well (basically going into customization), but I'm much happier with iOS. ICS is cool, but I like its direction more than actually using it. I'm really curious to see what they think of next in terms of designs and features.
Thanks for the swipepad link. now using it. cheers.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

That's not correct, you need to open the widget to get stuff done, which is the same as launching an app. Widgets are informative, don't get me wrong, but it still launches the app when you want to interact with it.

Another way to think of Android and iOS is that you have options... want widgets? buy Android... want customization? buy Android... But I like my experience w/ iOS, it's my own preference. As the previous poster said, it feels snappier and more fluid to me.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
I used a Verizon GN for about a month. ICS is the best version of Android to date, but still has issues. I still experienced lag, random reboots, and the bad battery life that has been a problem for LTE android phones. Also the GN radios are horrible but that is probibly more Sammys hardware.

Apps are also still very hit and miss on Android. When comparing apps that are both on iOS and Android, the iOS version always seems more polished and better looking. I also still experienced more app crashes on ICS than iOS. I actually really want to like android, but it is just still not there yet for me.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I love ICS and what Matias Duarte has bought to the platform but just emphasizing the positive aspects of the platform would make it seem better. There are many things that the iPhone and iOS do better.

What about the OEMs who insist on changing the behavior and look of the UI? The recent ICS update on the SGSII springs to mind with the removal of drag and drop folders on the homescreen as one prime example.

What about applications that have not been updated that still rely on a Menu button instead of using the Action Bar for ICS? That shows off some big inconsistency IMO.

I'm as big an Android fan and user as you can get but not everything is hunky dory in Android land. Both have their plusses and minuses. Just take your pick on what works best for you.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I love ICS and what Matias Duarte has bought to the platform but just emphasizing the positive aspects of the platform would make it seem better. There are many things that the iPhone and iOS do better.

What about the OEMs who insist on changing the behavior and look of the UI? The recent ICS update on the SGSII springs to mind with the removal of drag and drop folders on the homescreen as one prime example.

What about applications that have not been updated that still rely on a Menu button instead of using the Action Bar for ICS? That shows off some big inconsistency IMO.

I'm as big an Android fan and user as you can get but not everything is hunky dory in Android land. Both have their plusses and minuses. Just take your pick on what works best for you.

As far as the menu button goes. ICS was released on the gnex so all controls are on screen. If an app uses a menu button then it appears on screen, if not it doesn't. Even very old apps work fine. Same goes for phones with capacitive buttons, if the except it can't disappear it just do anything.

Google got this all worked out on their first release of Honeycomb. Works great.

If I were to get an android phone I would wait for an ICS model with no capacitive buttons to get the larger screen. Although you only really get the full screen during movies and such it's nice.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
As far as the menu button goes. ICS was released on the gnex so all controls are on screen. If an app uses a menu button then it appears on screen, if not it doesn't. Even very old apps work fine. Same goes for phones with capacitive buttons, if the except it can't disappear it just do anything.

Google got this all worked out on their first release of Honeycomb. Works great.

If I were to get an android phone I would wait for an ICS model with no capacitive buttons to get the larger screen. Although you only really get the full screen during movies and such it's nice.

Compatibility with older apps is fine on ICS regarding the menu button, I just wish more developers would heed this advice on the Google Developers Blog

http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

Apps that use the action bar feel more consistent in design on my GN. I find they also suit ICS better.

My wife has the Sony Xperia S which has capacitive buttons but full access to its 720p screen which I now prefer over my Galaxy Nexus. The soft buttons disappearing works great on videos though which is nice as you say.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
How do you like touchpad CM9, I had CM7 on my touchpad before but hate it. Now I have CM9, but for only short time and I like it. I already ordered an ipad 3, but am thinking maybe I should cancel it if CM9 touchpad works nearly as good. What do you think compare touchpad CM9 experience to an ipad

After playing with ICS via CyanogenMod 9 on my Touchpad for a little while now, I like it. There is no requirement to use widgets, but the option is there. If you just want a simple icon layout, fine. No problem. Do it that way.

The biggest issue for me is Google Play, aka app store. Def not as refined as Apple's. But you can def get a ton of free games and apps. Even the new Angry Birds Space was free.

I like little things in ICS, like haptic feedback, having Flash Player 11 installed, but only activate when I give it permission, easy access to multiple style keyboards and layouts, real multitasking, with a nice rowof buttons for back, home and task tray, and of course great notifications. Android has a lot of great features, some that Apple now uses, so it is not all doom and gloom.

But with a jailbroken iphone and ipad, I utilize the best features of WebOS, iOS and Android into my iDvices, which in my opinion, makes them hands down the best in the world. :D That is not to say I don't have an appreciation for my new ICS Touchpad. I'm loving my Touchpad all over again.

-----
via CM9 32gb TP

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
ICS is really nice but the hand gestures on 5.1 can't be beat. I love ICS on my Transformer, but really love the fluidity 5.1 has to offer.

Love my iPad and love my transformer with ICS.

Love my galaxy note for everything else!

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
This video was well done, but here's my perspective on why I will NEVER use Android.

1) It's basically a tracking device. I don't care how many custom ROMs you put on it. It's a tracking device. Nobody is really auditing the code, and nobody is forking it to work independently of Google. I'm not buying a Google tracking device.

2) It wasn't designed to be fast in the first place. It needs a complete rewrite to work like iOS, and Google hasn't done it and will never do it because better hardware is slowly blurring the flaws.

3) It's not truly open-source. This is what Tizen and Meego are for. I don't want to use anything from a company like Google, but rather, I want to use something that is more like the mobile equivalent of putting Linux on your PC. Worked on by users, for users. Not some advertising company.

4) It drains your battery like crazy, especially when you use free apps. This shouldn't even be an issue for a phone. It's a tiny mobile OS. It shouldn't be using this many resources. I guess that's what comes with using a phone that is actively monitoring what you put into it.

5) I shouldn't need to root my phone to run certain apps. I should be able to add packages the same way I do on Linux and get them updated by adding repos, much like from the Cydia store, which I also need to jailbreak to get to. An OS should be so free that it will run ANYTHING from any store or website or kid's github page the minute you install that OS.

Android does a lot of things right, as shown in the video. However, these things are outweighed by these 5 points.

I use an iPhone despite those 5 points because Apple is a better company than Google. I trust them more. They make me want to buy their phone, despite the fact that I need to jailbreak it, which once I do, allows me to everything I want.

Google is a cancer to the internet and to the mobile OS arena, and nobody should be using their crap.

Once something that follows the 5 points comes out, such as Tizen or any Linux-type true open source mobile OS, I will drop my iPhone for that phone, because it will do what I want the way I want, without Google's crap involved in it.

WOW

303180-good_tin_foil_hat.jpg

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
How do you like touchpad CM9, I had CM7 on my touchpad before but hate it. Now I have CM9, but for only short time and I like it. I already ordered an ipad 3, but am thinking maybe I should cancel it if CM9 touchpad works nearly as good. What do you think compare touchpad CM9 experience to an ipad

You can not compare the capabilities of an ipad 2 or 3 to a CM9 Touchpad. I upload the nightly builds and have the latest google apps (17 Mar) download, but we are still talking an Alpha version, (albeit a very stable Alpha)!

The Touchpad with ICS is great, don't get me wrong, but here are my minor nitpicks (and these are minor):
I really love Android, and having a dual boot tablet kicks a55, but there are missed touch inputs quite frequently, which is a pain when typing. There is some minor lag in web browsing, and it took me a few downloads before I found the best browser and keyboard (that were set up similar to how the WebOS and iOS keyboards are). I can give you that info via PM if you wish. The Google Play store is acceptable, not quite as good as the app store, but good enough to fulfill your needs. Pandora, twitter, Facebook, etc... Are all in there. No Tweetbot though!

Anyway, if you have a Touchpad already, then the CM9 download is a no brainer! Get it. Will it be able to replace an iPad 2 or 3? Possibly, but those damn missed inputs will frustrate you when typing. I use my iPad exclusively for content creation and business. I use the TP for browsing and playing. Best of both worlds.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks. Can I ask why you still need touchpad for play and browsing? Why not just use your ipad.
You can not compare the capabilities of an ipad 2 or 3 to a CM9 Touchpad. I upload the nightly builds and have the latest google apps (17 Mar) download, but we are still talking an Alpha version, (albeit a very stable Alpha)!

The Touchpad with ICS is great, don't get me wrong, but here are my minor nitpicks (and these are minor):
I really love Android, and having a dual boot tablet kicks a55, but there are missed touch inputs quite frequently, which is a pain when typing. There is some minor lag in web browsing, and it took me a few downloads before I found the best browser and keyboard (that were set up similar to how the WebOS and iOS keyboards are). I can give you that info via PM if you wish. The Google Play store is acceptable, not quite as good as the app store, but good enough to fulfill your needs. Pandora, twitter, Facebook, etc... Are all in there. No Tweetbot though!

Anyway, if you have a Touchpad already, then the CM9 download is a no brainer! Get it. Will it be able to replace an iPad 2 or 3? Possibly, but those damn missed inputs will frustrate you when typing. I use my iPad exclusively for content creation and business. I use the TP for browsing and playing. Best of both worlds.

bobTX10

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011

Bullsh**!!! I use my music, calender, weather, time, bookmarks, and mail widgets all the time! Widgets never freezed my phone (that's not to say my android's never been frozen). Widgets is one of the reason why I love Android, so convenient. That's why threads like these never get anywhere. Everybody has different opinions and experiences.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
Only watched the first 5 minutes, but he makes a great point. Android 4 ICS is a MAJOR update to Android, and shows how outdated iOS is.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
iOS is so bland, there is no contest

ICS will be the OS to beat in the coming months

There is nothing to beat. This is not a contest between Android and iOS with some medal for first place. You are talking about software for gods sake!

Android has perks, but you can get the same ones on a jailbroken iDevice. IOS is inherently walled in, but there are those that kick the wall in too. Just another software flavor of Coke original is all.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
What are you guys who think iOS is so dull and outdated doing in a forum for the iPhone? Troll much?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.