Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Here is the first official build of InterWeb for Tiger and Leopard. The goal is simple.
1) Produce 1 or 2 builds a year with updated certificates and possible other small updates after Sept when the unofficial TFF security updates end. It'll be enough to keep this browser useful yet for a few more years.
2) There is no other goal. ;)

Other than branding, no code was added. I simply disabled a few things i deemed useless.
You'll notice it is roughly 15mb smaller than TFF because of this. It's smaller, lighter, faster.
It uses it's own profile also, so it wont interfere with your current TFF profile.
After Sept, I just cloned the latest TFF github repo to my github repo and added my branding and mozconfig updates if anybody wants to help do more with it than the basics i'm volunteering for.

Download all releases from here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/interwebppc-browser-a-rebrand-of-tenfourfox-the-future

InterWebPPC.png

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Isn't the name going to get confusing with Snow Leopard Interweb? Particularly since TenFourFox can be built for Intel Tiger.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It may confuse some, but I already had the branding made. I also will not be building this particular branch for Intel. The Intel and ppc linux interweb builds have their own pages and following.

...and yes, this one as mentioned, has PPC attached to its name to clarify that its not for Intel.

Cheers

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I am really excited about this ! That gives us - TFF, IceweaselPPC, Arcticfox, SeamonkeyPPC, LWK(not all sites work, but most do, incl Governmrnt and banking), and now Interweb ! This will prove very nice for the future, till TLS 1.4.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
What about MacOS 9.2.2? Any modern browser besides Classilla?
None, yet.. I Need to find the time to see if I can add crypto Ancienne to OS 9, so it will support TLS 1.2 - that way, you will be able to browse all or most websites - videos and YouTube.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Interweb PPC working very nicely on Powerbook G4 1.67ghz with 2gb RAM. @NathanJHill what's wrong with the icon? It's a mighty fine globe, says Internet to me without saying...Internet. Nothing wrong with alternatives of course.

Back to PowerPC tonight, cause it's all I need. Playing BBC Radio 6 in iTunes, watched some Premier League Highlights in tenfivetube earlier. Got my local weather forecast and read some headlines on lite.cnn.com. Went to 68knews.com and read some more...I see the future of PowerPC now, its a minimalist future, a lighter web of our own design, damn the corporate suck fest that is the Internet in the roaring post COVID 20's. Thanks Wicknix!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 542

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
After Sept, i'll clone the last updated TFF github repo to my github repo and add my branding and mozconfig updates if anybody wants to help do more with it than the basics i'm volunteering for.
I'm interested. I'm still very new with this stuff, but I have a background in web development, Linux, CI/CD systems, and infrastructure/hosting. How can I help?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I'm interested. I'm still very new with this stuff, but I have a background in web development, Linux, CI/CD systems, and infrastructure/hosting. How can I help?
Kind of welcome to the club. I too am diving in to try and work on the classila side. I have all the toolkits, PowerMachTen, Codewarrior 7.1, but a lot of reading I need to do. i am no programmer, but if I can follow the simple instructions, I think I can rebuild classila w/ TLS 1.2 or Crypto Ancienne. I must try.

Reactions: pipetogrep
@B S Magnet I think you're becoming our local dungeon keeper-master-organizer of Wikis, browsers, OSes, and general insight / information.

That's good to see. Someone had to do it, otherwise given enough time, these valuable data repositories would have eventually been lost to the archives.

Keep at it! :)

I can’t guarantee I’ll always be available to maintain some of this stuff, but hopefully with recent overhauls in formatting and arrangement, it should be fairly straightforward for others to be able to carry the torch if for some reason I’m indisposed or unavailable.

Reactions: wicknix
Here is the first official build of InterWeb for Tiger and Leopard. The goal is simple.
1) Produce 1 or 2 builds a year with updated certificates and possible other small updates after Sept when the unofficial TFF security updates end. It'll be enough to keep this browser useful yet for a few more years.
2) There is no other goal. ;)

Other than branding, no code was added. I simply disabled a few things i deemed useless.
You'll notice it is roughly 15mb smaller than TFF because of this. It's smaller, lighter, faster.
It uses it's own profile also, so it wont interfere with your current TFF profile.
After Sept, i'll clone the last updated TFF github repo to my github repo and add my branding and mozconfig updates if anybody wants to help do more with it than the basics i'm volunteering for.

Download here:

View attachment 1761842

I’m nerdy-curious: what did you disable?

Initially, in a side-by-side with TFF (and using my copied profile from TFF), I’m finding InterwebPPC a bit lighter on its toes — at least with the MR forum. I find this interesting!

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Sorry, I'll try to answer all questions eventually. The wife and I are in the middle of a week long move. The Macs are packed up now, along with most everything else.

I built it with the generic G3 mozconfig with a few changes. I disabled webrtc, necko-wifi, Google safe-browsing, pocket, and the shumway and loop extensions. Other than that, it's just TFF fpr32spr1 with a new name with less running in the background.

Cheers

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.