Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the post as I've been looking on amazon for a cheap one too - I find these designs (& Apples) fundamentally flawed, as I prefer the cases that the ipad can sit into rather than against i.e the one you mentioned has a cover that folds away under to the back but I prefer when you open the cover the ipad is propped up inside - this seems better as in public a table may be dirty and then when the cover you mentioned if folded back you have the inside of the cover on the table the could then pick up dirt when folded back around and onto the screen.

Aussieiphone: You make a great point. I'm going from the first iPad and wouldn't have thought about that. I have an Apple Smart Cover that I've been thinking about returning... now even more.

So what cases do you like that meet your criteria?

clayjk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I ordered this case from Amazon yesterday, and it arrived in the mail today. (Jumped the gun, maybe. I'll see about the fit tomorrow when my iPad 3 arrives.)

While the case itself looks great (for the most part; see below) a couple of issues concern me:

1) SHIPPING: Even though I ordered this from Amazon, who says "Shipped and sold by Invellop," the return address on the mailing label says it came from "case2case." The packaging was absurdly minimal—just a light, bubble-lined envelope folded double (to fit the contents), and the case inside, with a styrofoam pad placed where the iPad will go. No box, no wrapping, no packing list, no receipt, etc.—just the unpackaged case in an envelope. Not surprisingly, there are a couple of minor indentations on the rear of the case, not to mention that this lack of packaging just seems sleazy.

2) THE BRAND: The photos on Amazon clearly show the INVELLOP logo embossed in the lower right corner of the case's front cover. The case I received doesn't have this. (In fact, the name Invellop appears nowhere on or in the package!) Instead, in the same position on the front cover, there's a small, silver metal logo attached. No brand name, just a stylized logo that appears to be a half-open laptop in front of a desktop tower. (It could also be meant to represent the letters IC.) If I knew it was merely glued on, I'd just pull it off, but it seems to be attached by brads of some sort, so removing it would leave a hole. I don't give a whit what the actual brand is, and (except for the logo on the cover) the case appears to be identical to the Invellop case pictured and sold on Amazon. However, I don't like the look of this little metal thingey on the surface of the case, and I don't want it there, where its sharp corners could easily snag things.

Bottom line, while I like the case a lot—it's exactly the simple, well-designed, reasonably tough case I've been looking for—what I got was not what I ordered. After my iPad 3 arrives tomorrow and I'm sure it fits, I plan to return the case, requesting an exchange for the one I actually ordered. (That is if I can figure out who to return it to—Amazon, Invellop, or case2case!)

I highly recommend this case basically, and will repost tomorrow as to its fit with the iPad 3.

I decided to risk it also and picked up a red one that I got in the mail today as well.
Link to case > http://goo.gl/3Pxmr

It fit my iPad2 just fine and the quality is it pretty good. Guess i'll see tomorrow how it fits the "new iPad".

I mainly posted this to reply to say the case I recieved had the logo on the lower left hand corner of the cover and my shipping packaging has Invellop as the return address. I'm thinking you may have got a knockoff.

JuiceZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
A word of caution. Just got my new iPad in the mail and received this case yesterday. While the case does fit, albeit very snug, the sleep/wake function does not work. This will become a common problem until 3rd party manufacturers have had a chance to reworked the magnets in their cases to align with the new iPad. From here on out, I'd be leery of any case that claims to work for both 2nd & 3rd generation iPads unless its made by Apple. Also keep in mind the slightly larger camera lens.

cmoneyster

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
A word of caution. Just got my new iPad in the mail and received this case yesterday. While the case does fit, albeit very snug, the sleep/wake function does not work. This will become a common problem until 3rd party manufacturers have had a chance to reworked the magnets in their cases to align with the new iPad. From here on out, I'd be leery of any case that claims to work for both 2nd & 3rd generation iPads unless its made by Apple. Also keep in mind the slightly larger camera lens.

this is the exact information i was looking for..thanks!!

MSampson

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
I ordered this case in red. It came from case2case in a thin plain white cardboard box with no packing slip inside a padded envelope. It does say Invellop embossed on the cover. It is a very tight fit but I was able to snap in all 4 corners. The camera hole does not cover any of the lens but it is close so it may reflect into pictures.
I am coming from a first generation iPad so I've never had smart cover functionality before. This does not turn it on and off but I don't know if there is a setting I need to turn on to get this.

Edited to add: it is very nice looking and feeling.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

I can also confirm this. Case fits VERY well so it is great to have in the meantime while i search for a complete solution. But the on/off definitely doesn't work.

lique831

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011
Also ordered this case in red. The fit is fine, the camera hole is fine, but as others have stated, the wake function does not work.

----------

I sent an email to the vendor about a refund and/or partial refund and this is what I got:

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to have confirmed that the INVELLOP cases fit "The new iPad" (or iPad 3) properly. As it may have come to your attention, the sleep/awake function sensors have been moved on The new iPad, and as a result most of the third party cases will not activate this function the same as on iPad 2. Apple does not release information to other companies about their newly developed product, therefore neither manufacturers nor distributors were informed of this slight change prior to the release of The new iPad (iPad 3). As a curtesy to our valued customers, who purchased the INVELLOP cases assuming the sleep/awake function will function the same as on the iPad 2, we would like to provide the options:

Option 1 - we will refund $6.00 per each recently purchased case to compensate for the sleep/awake function matter.
Option 2 - customers are welcome to use their case(s) for two weeks, after which we will inform them when the new INVELLOP cases will be produced with correct location of sensors, which will be able to activate the sleep/awake function on both the iPad 2 and The new iPad (iPad 3). Upon receipt of an original case back from our customers, we will send the new INVELLOP case as replacement.
Option 3 - customers are welcome to return their case(s) for a full refund.

We hope you are pleased with the options above, as we looking forward to providing for your Apple product protection needs in the future. Enjoy your new iPad!

Sincerely,
INVELLOP LLC

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Also ordered this case in red. The fit is fine, the camera hole is fine, but as others have stated, the wake function does not work.

----------

I sent an email to the vendor about a refund and/or partial refund and this is what I got:

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to have confirmed that the INVELLOP cases fit "The new iPad" (or iPad 3) properly. As it may have come to your attention, the sleep/awake function sensors have been moved on The new iPad, and as a result most of the third party cases will not activate this function the same as on iPad 2. Apple does not release information to other companies about their newly developed product, therefore neither manufacturers nor distributors were informed of this slight change prior to the release of The new iPad (iPad 3). As a curtesy to our valued customers, who purchased the INVELLOP cases assuming the sleep/awake function will function the same as on the iPad 2, we would like to provide the options:

Option 1 - we will refund $6.00 per each recently purchased case to compensate for the sleep/awake function matter.
Option 2 - customers are welcome to use their case(s) for two weeks, after which we will inform them when the new INVELLOP cases will be produced with correct location of sensors, which will be able to activate the sleep/awake function on both the iPad 2 and The new iPad (iPad 3). Upon receipt of an original case back from our customers, we will send the new INVELLOP case as replacement.
Option 3 - customers are welcome to return their case(s) for a full refund.

We hope you are pleased with the options above, as we looking forward to providing for your Apple product protection needs in the future. Enjoy your new iPad!

Sincerely,
INVELLOP LLC

perfect! thanks for sending this email. i'll be getting a full refund once i find a good alternative.

clayjk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Dang, well it was worth a shot. Glad Invellop is standing behind it and giving some options. I'm leaning towards #2 assuming they will cover shipping costs for the new case.

Thanks to everyone for posting the updates.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Curious but has anyone tried the case on an iPad 2? I just want to know how strong the magnets are at keeping it closed.

joescoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
The magnets are quite disappointing—very weak. (Again, I'm not using the Invellop-branded case—tho' that's what I'd ordered via Amazon—but the knockoff with the metal logo attached to it, so I could be comparing an apple to a slightly different apple. Forgive the pun.) When I close the case and turn it cover-down, it flops right open. I'd almost doubt there were any magnets at all, except for the barely detectable pull exerted when the case is closed while lying flat on its back.

I'll be interested to hear about the magnet strength on the actual Invellop-branded case.

As to Invellop's explanation about the sleep/wake (Smart) feature of the case... wouldn't that suggest that NO Smart Covers/cases made for the iPad 2 (including Apple's own) will sleep/wake on an iPad 3?

My email request to Invellop to return the knockoff version I got from them was answered quite promptly and every bit as courteously as their longer post below. Instead of an out-right return, however, they said they were immediately sending me the Invellop case I'd ordered instead of the knockoff version, and that I was welcome to use the 1st one till the other arrived. That proposal seemed fine until I realized (a few minutes ago, on actually using the case with the iPad 3) that the "Smart" part of the cover is as yet utterly Stupid.

In response to Aussiephone's very smart observation about the open-and-folded-back cover's interior surface picking up whatever crud it might be lying on, there's a very simple solution to that with this case. Just fold the front cover in half (leatherette side out) before flipping it to the back. Sure, the outside of the case may pick up the crud, but at least it doesn't transfer it to the iPad's screen, and it's a lot easier to just wipe off than the microsuedish interior.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I can also confirm that it fits the 3 but the sleep/wake function does not work. Magnets are weak, but it works fine on the 2. Disappointing.

pappusenpai

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
New IPad3 Casing with Sleep/Wake Feature

Hi Invellop, I really like the look of the cover but kinda disappointed with the sleep/wake feature and the weak magnet hold. Do you have an ETA on when will all these be resolved ? thanks

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Hi Invellop, I really like the look of the cover but kinda disappointed with the sleep/wake feature and the weak magnet hold. Do you have an ETA on when will all these be resolved ? thanks

You should email them but I was told that they may have them ready next week.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
You should email them but I was told that they may have them ready next week.
I am hoping they will release a white version for the new ipad 3. What email address are you using? I can not find the companies contact information anywhere.

radicalDESIGNZ

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I am hoping they will release a white version for the new ipad 3. What email address are you using? I can not find the companies contact information anywhere.

+1 , i love the look of their white cases. the only closest thing i've seen to that is the yoobao slim and that has an ugly yellowish cover on the back :\

Gromov

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Heads up: I've heard from a friend that Invellop for the New iPad is out with the Smart Cover function working properly. I'm gonna wait until he gets his and then order one for myself.

clayjk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Anyone that ordered a case and had issues likely already recieved this email but figured I'd post it.

Dear Customer:

We are pleased to announce the black INVELLOP iPad cases have been modified and are now fully compatible with The new iPad as well as iPad 2. All other colors will be available on April 7, 2012.

We value our customers and appreciate your patience while we worked hard to ensure the sleep/awake function and the overall fit of INVELLOP case is improved. If you would like to exchange your previously purchased INVELLOP case for the modified, please review the following options carefully.

Exchange Option #1

Return your previously purchased INVELLOP iPad case

IMPORTANT:

Include a note with your order ID number and indicate your exchange option #1

Upon receipt of your returned case INVELLOP will:

Refund standard return shipping

Send you a new iPad case

Exchange Option #2

Keep your iPad protected during exchange

Purchase a new INVELLOP iPad case (your color preference)

Upon receipt of your new case:

Return your previously purchased INVELLOP iPad case

IMPORTANT:

Include a note with your original order ID number and indicate your exchange option #2

Upon receipt of your returned case INVELLOP will:

Refund price of product

Refund original shipping cost

Refund standard return shipping

This isn't the whole email but provides the gist. So the black is available and all other colors should be later this week.

Philthy84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I just put on my Invellop earlier this morning and so far I'm really liking it. The fit is great and the magnets work. This has been my third time at trying a case and I think I'll be sticking with this one. The other 2 I tried were the Marware MicroShell Folio and the Targus Slim. Nothing wrong with either of them there were just some minors things about them I didn't like after using them for a while.

Gromov

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
I just put on my Invellop earlier this morning and so far I'm really liking it. The fit is great and the magnets work. This has been my third time at trying a case and I think I'll be sticking with this one. The other 2 I tried were the Marware MicroShell Folio and the Targus Slim. Nothing wrong with either of them there were just some minors things about them I didn't like after using them for a while.

Pictures or it didnt happen:)

clayjk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Just got my replacement case this afternoon and I'm very happy with it. The fit is good and the auto on/off functions works. I'm thinking the magnets in it may be a little stronger or better positioned because the lid also can stay shut when held upside down where the old case it would sometime flop open.

Invellop was on top of their game for shipping as well. Mailed mine back Monday afternoon, got a refund for my return shipping costs on Thursday and recieved the replacement Saturday.

mr.thing

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Received my case today. I think its great. It's probably the one I was looking for few months while trying STM Skinny, Maroo, mix of Apple Smart Cover and Belkin Snapshield...

Magnets are really good and sleep/wake works very well. Overall quality is good, considering its made from PU leather. Maybe real leather would looks a bit more "classy", but considering 1 year life cycle for iPad, I think PU leather will do it for me. :)

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
I am close to ordering this. I use a Tucano Magico black leatherette back cover with the apple smart cover right now and really like how the Magico goes around the edges of the ipad to help protect it in case of a drop (which has already happened btw). I really don't like that the Invellop case doesn't go up over the edge all they way. During a drop the ipad is much more likely to get damaged if it hits on one of the unprotected edges.

I really like the white color though and the magico doesn't seem to have a true white color(and leather look only comes in black). All the pictures of the magico seem to show ice white as a more cream color.

I won't be giving up the magico but it would be nice to switch it up with a nice white cover every once in awhile.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
These threads kill me. I was all set and happy with my Griffin Intellicase and then this one comes along with some really good reviews on Amazon. So.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.