Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
yeah I've heard. but I've also read that people often just screw the top case because it's so hard to apply the IS on the top.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
I installed an InvisibleShield on my daughter's MacBook a couple of months ago. It doesn't look tacky at all to me, as you can hardly tell it's on unless you look closely.

I'd agree with anyone who didn't put it on the trackpad. It works fine, but it doesn't feel nearly as smooth as an unadorned trackpad.

I'm a very impatient person, yet I was able to install the one that goes on the lid. It took me three tries because I kept putting it on at a slight angle. When I pulled it off to try again, I expected to ruin it from stretching. But it snaps back to its original size. On the third try, it was perfectly aligned. Air bubbles do show up, but a credit card takes it out. Getting rid of bubbles is no big deal.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
hgsbud, can you post some pictures?

oh yeah, how would the IS look tacky on a macbook?

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
Got the focus a little wrong, but I tried to position my room's torchere light to reflect off the surface so you can see the reflectivity of InvisibleShield.

Attachments

• 20060917-8259.jpg
    20060917-8259.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 20060918-8263.jpg
    20060918-8263.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 260

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
vega07 said:
oh yeah, how would the IS look tacky on a macbook?

On a black MacBook perhaps? Since black MacBooks have a matte finish, I'm even having trouble picturing what that might look like.

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
i'm sorry but you have to be a complete retard to fubar the application of the lid portion. it's just a big sticker. if it starts sticking to itself, just spray it down with windex and u can pull it apart.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
icec0ld said:
it's just a big sticker. if it starts sticking to itself, just spray it down with windex and u can pull it apart.

It's not exactly a sticker in the usual sense. When you get it, it doesn't stick to anything. You spray it with a liquid that they provide in the package, and it becomes very slippery. You put it on the thing you're covering and you can slide it around easily. It becomes sticky within seconds, but still peelable and repositionable. Gradually it becomes very sticky.

If you get it wrong, like I did twice, you spray it again and peel it off and start over. It's not easy to peel off, but even though it can stretch grotesquely as you're peeling it, it snaps back to its original self.

With the problems I had, I was very generous with their spray. Yet I had half a bottle left when I was done.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
wow hgsbud, the application looks perfect! you did a great job applying it. looks very nice.

is it possible that the added layer of plastic will worsen the heating problem?

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
vega07 said:
is it possible that the added layer of plastic will worsen the heating problem?

I don't know; I have no expertise to test that. The Standard Shield I got covers areas that don't get very hot, the top lid and the trackpad and arm rest areas. The hottest parts are the bottom case and the top left corner of the keyboard, neither of which are covered.

The hottest application I've run on it is ffmpegx video encoding software. The fans go on like crazy, and I've felt the case all over during these times, and it never felt very alarming. No worse than the 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 I have which has now been outclassed by my daughter's laptop (which is why I run ffmpegx on hers, not mine).

Sounds like you were looking at the full-body shield, which does cover the bottom. I have a hard time believing it'd make any significant difference, but again, I have no data nor expertise to say definitively.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
why did you decide on the standard instead of the full body one?

my bottom case is scratched much more than my top case.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
vega07 said:
why did you decide on the standard instead of the full body one?

Only because I had never bought an InvisibleShield before, and I didn't want to spend more than I had to just to try it.

Now that I'm happy with it, I'm still not sure I'd get the bottom cover. The top was difficult enough, and it doesn't have a battery opening and little feet to go around. If I hear someone say it's no worse than putting on the top cover, I'd probably go for it now.

The other thread is talking about Merom-based MacBook Pros, so this might become relevant to me if the good rumors come true shortly.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I've read that the top is much more harder than the bottom. the bottom was relatively painless.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Scratches

vega07 said:
what about scratches?
just so anyone knows, ive used icd cream M from radtech, (http://www.radtech.us) no affiliation, and it removed some very faint scratches. i would NOT use this on a blackbook. i rubbed a little harder, and in my opinion, it made it look worse. worked WONDERS on the metal part of my ipod however.
andreas

andriella

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I've decided to get a sleeve and the Marware Protection Pack to protect the wrist rest from dirt, scratches from my watch, etc.

There still seems to be a lot of debate on whether the Invisible Shield is as good for Macbooks as it is on iPods.

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
andriella said:
There still seems to be a lot of debate on whether the Invisible Shield is as good for Macbooks as it is on iPods.

I don't see what the debate is, aside from MAYBE the price, this thing is probably the best scratch protector there is without hindering the looks whatsoever on the MacBook. I'd actually take pictures but the shots from the other person are good enough. It seriously is invisible unless there is direct light hitting it and you're looking at your MacBook at a 25* viewing angle or lower... Compared to the iPod? It's as good if not better. Again, you have to be utterly incompetent to fail at applying this thing. It might take time and you might have to spray it with more liquid so it doesn't settle, but it really isn't that hard. In fact, making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich may be harder since you run the risk of cutting your finger with a knife....

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
here are some pics of my iPod, nano and MacBook all with invisible shields (nano has it only on the screen). i went ahead and took some closeup pics as well and you can see the "ripple" effect when you are extremely up close on the actual surface. this is most obvious in the picture of the wrist area. this ripple / orange peel look is only noticeable when again 1) viewing it at a sub 45* angle or 2) within inches of the actual surface.

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
i've removed a few before. and it really depends, if you pull it with low heat there generally wont be any residue (and by low heat i mean taking a blow dryer and putting it on low heat). if you just pull it off, it depends, the longer its on the object, the more residue will be on it.

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
so the next question will be, "well how to i remove the residue?" simple, either use a mr clean magic eraser, a white plastic eraser (found at a local arts store), tape, or nothing like good ole fashioned elbow grease and a terry clothed towel that you don't mind ruining.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
wow icecold, it looks really nice.
did you purchase the whole body shield?

I am in the process of buying the IS for my macbook now, but cannot choose the free delivery option because it's not in there in the drop down menu.

what's wrong?

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
no. i think the bottom portion of the shield is dumb. it sits on the table so it's not like you're ever seeing or looking at the bottom of the macbook... as for free shipping, i don't know, i wanted my shield asap so i always paid the 5 bucks for priority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.