Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
lol...yeah I think the bottom is dumb too, but it's the easiest place to get scratches I think...

and plus, mine has so many scratches on the bottom. no idea where it came from. should I buy the full body?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
very nice job to those who have posted pics. Those look great. I should have mine in a day or two, and I'm excited to have it. :)

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I have scratches I say are bigger than "hairline" scratches. to what extent will these be covered with the IS?

andriella

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
andriella said:
I was originally going to get that as well, but I decided that although the IS is a little bit complicated to apply, it will probably be easier to clean, and it doesn't have a huge Marware logo on it either.

Yeah - I agree - that's a real turn off that huge product logo - I bet they lose sales for being a bit greedy there... very unappealing...

The IS will need to be replaced as it wears (like anything)- and it does do something to the look of the macbook and I'm not sure if I like it.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
sierra oscar said:
Yeah - I agree - that's a real turn off that huge product logo - I bet they lose sales for being a bit greedy there... very unappealing...

The IS will need to be replaced as it wears (like anything)- and it does do something to the look of the macbook and I'm not sure if I like it.

well, there isn't much of a choice for macbook protection right now. damn IS and their inflated prices. there needs to be some competition. I just bought two full body shields for my sister's and my macbook.

oh god...hopefully this thing is worth it.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
I am also considering a macpad too (over the lack of 'style' of the IS and the plain uglyness of the malware product).

http://www.macstyles.com/products/macpads/index.htm

I'm not saying the IS isn't attractive - I'm just saying it looks a bit odd (to me) on the MB as it doesn't quite change the colour but it does change the look - and I'm not sure if I can repeatedly change the IS as it wears without it all merging into a big mess.

Edit: There is a template macpad called 'bombs away' - the artwork is an old style bomb design with fuse attached running through the trackpad - now... try getting on an aircraft with that decal?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
sierra oscar said:
I am also considering a macpad too (over the lack of 'style' of the IS and the plain uglyness of the malware product).

http://www.macstyles.com/products/macpads/index.htm

I'm not saying the IS isn't attractive - I'm just saying it looks a bit odd (to me) on the MB as it doesn't quite change the colour but it does change the look - and I'm not sure if I can repeatedly change the IS as it wears without it all merging into a big mess.

iono about that...

color ruins the looks of the macbook. didn't you buy the macbook for its pristine, signature white?

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
vega07 said:
iono about that...
color ruins the looks of the macbook. didn't you buy the macbook for its pristine, signature white?

Well, it's like anything that you can't 'quite' match - it doesn't tend to look right - and sometimes it's a better look to change completely rather than try for a poor match.

I'm not sure if I will even use any product of this nature - until it gets its first scratch or something - I'm just sharing the options I'm looking at.

Just as an afterthought - the coloured macpads may be a theft deterrent? don't know...

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
vega07 said:
iono about that...

I just put a copper macstyles macpad (full) on my blackbook today - I rather like the look, but to each his own.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
eeeks...I can't imagine my macbook to be any other color than WHITE.

yes...to each his own.

does anyone know how well the IS hides scratches?

deepy

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
sierra oscar said:
I'm still pondering this product though for it's ease of removal and application:
http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebO...catalogCatID=224&wosid=HQpaxw11cdxacOnNtcNpXw

I just got my Marware for my macbook in the post today. I was only worried about scratching/staining the wristrests and this stops that from happenin. Was extremely easy to put on and its quite padded and soft so feels nice to rest on.

I'm not the kind of person that can easily get over big stupid logos but, for some reason, it doesnt bother me.

Emzak

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
I bought the IS as soon as I ordered my white Macbook, thinking that it would solve the orange stain problem. Did it work? Well, yes and no.

I put the IS on the palmrests and track button as soon as I got my Macbook, but three weeks later, I started seeing the notorious orange/brown stain on both palmrests and the track button. I was pissed! Also, regardless of how well the IS is applied, it still does look kind of tacky.

So I decided to remove the IS. And surprise surprise--when I pulled off the IS, I discovered that the palmrests and track button are still white! So basically, the IS did protect the palmrests etc. from hand oil/grime, BUT the catch is that unless you are prepared to shell out $$$ every month to change your IS, your palmrests etc. are still going to look grimy and stained. That defeats the whole purpose of having IS in the first place. Well, forget that.

I ended up getting a white Marware palmrest which I'm liking a lot. The Marware white matches the white on the keys and on the glossy hinge and surface of the Macbook, so it doesn't look bad at all. Also, it's quite comfy because it is soft. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't line up perfectly with the trackpad and the grey Marware logo on the top left, but I will take that over orange/brown palmrests and cheap-looking reflective plastic any day. All in all, I am very happy with the Marware and wish I had not wasted $50 on the IS.

On a side note, there was some slight residue when I removed the IS. Like the other posters said, you can easily get rid of it with Magic Eraser, or even just your finger (not nails), but you risk getting the little white scuffs that a poster complained about on another thread.

Hope this helps!

deepy

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
also the keyboard protection and screen cleaning cloth that comes with the marware is really nice!!

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
fyi, if you are only worried about palm rest protection, there is a competitor of invisible shield called best skins ever (http://www.bestskinsever). they don't have one specifically for the macbook but they have a "blank" skin that is 9" x 3.75" which you can cut to the size of the palm rest areas. i did this for my ibook and it worked just as well and is significantly cheaper ($10 bucks incl. the shipping). it's the same product as the invisible shield just doesn't hold the "lifetime" guarantee (which is actually pretty stupid on shieldzone's part since they no longer will ship you the replacement for free...).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Emzak said:
So I decided to remove the IS. And surprise surprise--when I pulled off the IS, I discovered that the palmrests and track button are still white! So basically, the IS did protect the palmrests etc. from hand oil/grime, BUT the catch is that unless you are prepared to shell out $$$ every month to change your IS, your palmrests etc. are still going to look grimy and stained. That defeats the whole purpose of having IS in the first place. Well, forget that.

that makes no sense. The plastic discolors because it's defective and has this porous quality that allows oils in. The IS is an entirely different substance; how and why would it exhibit the same symptoms as the macbook plastic itself?

Not that it matters to me... I'm getting the IS to protect the outer case. I've already got the replacement plastic on the wrist area, so no more discoloring for me.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
how can the IS get discolored?

ehh...all these comments are making me regret buying two full body shields.

Emzak

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
QCassidy352 said:
that makes no sense. The plastic discolors because it's defective and has this porous quality that allows oils in. The IS is an entirely different substance; how and why would it exhibit the same symptoms as the macbook plastic itself?

I know what you mean. When I saw the staining, I was certain that it was because hand oils have somehow penetrated through the IS onto the palmrest plastic. I had pretty much resigned myself to having stained palmrests. That's why I was so surprised when I pulled off the IS and discovered that the palmrests were still white.

vega07 said:
how can the IS get discolored?

You know how certain plastics can get grungy/grimy after a while? I think that's what happened with my IS. Before I removed the IS, I tried cleaning and erasing the part of the plastic that was orange-ish, because I assumed that dirt had just collected on the IS, but it didn't help. That's why I originally thought that it was the palmrest plastic that had discolored.

Incidentally, I have been using the Marware for about 2 weeks now so my trackpad button has been naked. Whereas before, with the IS, there was an orange-ish stain on the right part of the trackpad button (where my right thumb clicks), so far it is still white. *keeps fingers crossed*

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
some of y'all need to go take a xanax or buy a drink. the invisible shield works just fine (i've had mine for a month and you can see how well it's holding up in the pictures). i've had my invisible shield on my ipod for over 4 months and it's doing just as well. while i don't agree on the the prices they make you pay that's just me being a poor college kid but you get what you paid for. just buy it, put it on and enjoy using your mac. believe me, if your biggest worry is a damn $40 piece of 3m plastic, life must be pretty good and there are plenty of other things to worry about...

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Emzak said:
BUT the catch is that unless you are prepared to shell out $$$ every month to change your IS, your palmrests etc. are still going to look grimy and stained. That defeats the whole purpose of having IS in the first place. Well, forget that.

Maybe you should wash your hands before using your computer.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
ChickenSwartz said:
I have one on my iPod.

Does the application still involve using soapy water?

That was hard enough on my iPod, I was fairly nervous about it.

I could not imagine doing that on a MB.
I'm with you. Any product requiring water to get it to work is no product for my computer!
If it was something that didn't have wires and such then ok...but Apple won't replace the stupidity involved with IS.

Emzak

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
ChickenSwartz said:
Maybe you should wash your hands before using your computer.

Or better yet, maybe I should just ditch the IS and spend my money on a better product.

Oh wait a minute...I did! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.