Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
When I play my purchased music on my Apple TV4 I have the option to view lyrics but not on my iPhone 7 Plus but not even my wife's iPhone 6 or iPad Air displays lyrics either.
I have read that syncing my device to iTunes fixes this but we are an iOS only household.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I know where it's meant to be but it's not showing it on any of our devices.

brewser

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
I know where it's meant to be but it's not showing it on any of our devices.
I know what you mean. I just checked on a lyric and the feature has been removed. I'm wondering if it has to do with the 10.2 update?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I know what you mean. I just checked on a lyric and the feature has been removed. I'm wondering if it has to do with the 10.2 update?
The lyrics feature is not removed in iOS 10.2.1 beta 2 for me. I can still read locally added lyrics without problem.
Maybe the situation is different for Apple Music user.

Pandalee

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
When I play my purchased music on my Apple TV4 I have the option to view lyrics but not on my iPhone 7 Plus but not even my wife's iPhone 6 or iPad Air displays lyrics either.
I have read that syncing my device to iTunes fixes this but we are an iOS only household.

Lyrics are there, but only for new songs that are added from iTunes to iPhone 6.
I use itunes to remove all the songs in iPhone 6, then add them back to iPhone 6.
Once they are added back to iPhone 6, I can see lyrics in every song.

Reactions: Nancy bout

MrCheatak

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
Russia
So, guys, you mean that the only way to enable lyrics is to erase all music and add it back? and do it every time with a new song?

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Seems lyrics appear on IOS 10 devices only if you are subscribed to Apple Music. No problem seeing the lyrics if running IOS 9 or earlier. For those outside of the Apple Music orb, workarounds can be found on other forums including Apple Communities, however, each is very short lived. Next IOS sync eats the lyrics...poof.

Why Apple continues to degrade the music app is anyone's guess. Yet, as Apple continues its march to "dumber and dumber" GUIs, the future does not look bright for functional/useful applications such as messages, safari, photos, calendar and of course Music. Oh...FYI...IOS 11 beta continues the lyrics mess. Nothing like consistency! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):mad:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Seems lyrics appear on IOS 10 devices only if you are subscribed to Apple Music. [...] Next IOS sync eats the lyrics...poof.
I don't have Apple Music and can see lyrics. I sync semi-regularly and haven't lost any. While I don't doubt that you're having issues, I'd say that it's a bug rather than by design.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't have Apple Music and can see lyrics. I sync semi-regularly and haven't lost any. While I don't doubt that you're having issues, I'd say that it's a bug rather than by design.
Well, I can confirm I have been plagued by exact same problem during the entire iOS 10 era.
But well, bugs can also occur in more than one occasion. Idk.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001

Not implying "by design". More like sloppy programming. A Google search will reveal this "bug" is not isolated. With that said, I asked 2 friends about lyrics on their phones. Both said no lyrics appear, yet each thought it was by design. Prior to IOS 10, tapping on the cover art revealed a song's lyrics. That occurred without issue. New music app takes a different approach, and yes, it seems "buggy".

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Now this is interesting. I found another thread where the OP mentioned that foreign language lyrics show up, but not English lyrics. Sure enough, the songs that I'd tested with earlier (where the lyrics showed up) were in Japanese. I tried with some English songs, and no lyrics appeared. A song with both Spanish and Finnish didn't show up, so presumably it's the Asian characters that "fix" it, rather than accents etc.

Weird...

MrCheatak

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
Russia
I can confirm that lyrics appear only in newly added songs.
A solution for JB users is to install MusiLyric. It enables lyrics in an old-fashioned way.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Now this is interesting. I found another thread where the OP mentioned that foreign language lyrics show up, but not English lyrics. Sure enough, the songs that I'd tested with earlier (where the lyrics showed up) were in Japanese. I tried with some English songs, and no lyrics appeared. A song with both Spanish and Finnish didn't show up, so presumably it's the Asian characters that "fix" it, rather than accents etc.

Weird...

Weird indeed. Last week, I unchecked the music sync for both my iPhone and iPad, then synced each device. Next restarted both devices and restarted my MBP. Opened iTunes and checked the sync Music for both devices. After the sync lyrics appeared correctly for both devices. About 5 syncs later most lyrics are once again gone from the devices. So yes, definitely a "bug". Given this issue has been a problem for quite some time, startling, but not surprising, Apple hasn't remedied it.

I haven't tried the 11Beta yet to see if any remedy occurred. Waiting for the 3rd public release before doing so. If anyone not using Apple Music is running the 11 Dev or Public beta, would you post here whether or not you see lyrics on your iOS devices' Music app. Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I haven't tried the 11Beta yet to see if any remedy occurred. Waiting for the 3rd public release before doing so. If anyone not using Apple Music is running the 11 Dev or Public beta, would you post here whether or not you see lyrics on your iOS devices' Music app. Thanks
I see some on my music app, some not. Rather random, and not all "legacy" music does not show lyrics.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
With 10.3.3 and public beta 3 for IOS 11 now out, lyrics on IOS devices for those not using Apple Music remain AWOL. Wish Apple were more attentive to the details. Great to have new features, but what's the point if unresolved bugs remain.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.