Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PK56

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
Still no custom lyrics, as of iOS 11.1.2. They were there when I restored my phone after purchasing a new iPhone X (reloading all my music), but they've been disappearing upon subsequent syncs. I have custom lyrics on thousands of songs, too.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Yes, after a restore all lyrics return...until they don’t. Add but one song in a subsequent sync and lyrics go “poof”. Does Apple care? Obviously not, as this IOS 10 bug continues to exist. C’mon Apple. You can do a lot better for those who don’t subscribe to Apple Music. (Apple Music subscribers don’t have a “lyric disappearing issue” on their devices).

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, after a restore all lyrics return...until they don’t. Add but one song in a subsequent sync and lyrics go “poof”. Does Apple care? Obviously not, as this IOS 10 bug continues to exist. C’mon Apple. You can do a lot better for those who don’t subscribe to Apple Music. (Apple Music subscribers don’t have a “lyric disappearing issue” on their devices).

Yes, THIS.

That stupid bug has existed for quite awhile, too. iOS 11.2 doesn't fix it. And if that bug weren't enough, changes appear to have been quietly made to iOS 11 to show lyrics only via 3D Touch action on a song and then selecting "Lyrics" (on a device that has 3D Touch).

Reactions: Bill Av

Carocat

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
Now this is interesting. I found another thread where the OP mentioned that foreign language lyrics show up, but not English lyrics. Sure enough, the songs that I'd tested with earlier (where the lyrics showed up) were in Japanese. I tried with some English songs, and no lyrics appeared. A song with both Spanish and Finnish didn't show up, so presumably it's the Asian characters that "fix" it, rather than accents etc.

Weird...

Well, most of my lyrics are in japanese and it's not working either :(

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Yes, THIS.

That stupid bug has existed for quite awhile, too. iOS 11.2 doesn't fix it. And if that bug weren't enough, changes appear to have been quietly made to iOS 11 to show lyrics only via 3D Touch action on a song and then selecting "Lyrics" (on a device that has 3D Touch).

That 3D touch brings up lyrics is HUGE! Thanks for pointing it out!:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As I'm using 10.3.3 public beta on my iPad Air2, I've reported the missing lyrics bug to Apple via the Feedback app.
Has anyone else reported this? Six months later the problem still hasn't been fixed (and seems to be worse than ever; I'm no longer seeing any lyrics at all, even on songs that used to work) so I've submitted my own bug report. If you're still having problems then let Apple know - multiple reports are harder to ignore.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I just tried - went to the feedback page and it is not listed on the feedback page ?

I also went to the App Store and noticed that you can't make a review there but strangely it's rated as a 4+

I wonder how it got rated as a 4+ (if you can't rate it and leave comments?) maybe Apple just decided it was a 4+

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just had to log it under iOS. In Radar you can narrow down to Music but you don't seem to have that option in Feedback.

Reactions: mikzn

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm... Apple has asked me for some diagnostic logs from my phone. Could that mean that it's working at their end and doesn't, in fact, affect everyone? :eek:

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Hmm... Apple has asked me for some diagnostic logs from my phone. Could that mean that it's working at their end and doesn't, in fact, affect everyone? :eek:

I can't imagine that it's just you. I've done everything up to and including erasing both my computer and iPhone and rebuilding them from the ground up. Plus, I'm completely in the Apple sandbox - iMac & iPhone. Over 25,000 tracks come from CDs ripped as Apple Lossless (then down-converted to 128 AAC thru iTunes) or music purchased through iTunes. The remaining 500 tracks are mp3s purchased from Amazon or eMusic - which I've deleted the metadata on and rebuilt from scratch. I've even deleted all the down-converted tracks and re-converted them with iTunes in the past year. I still have the issue on my iOS 10/11 devices. I don't have the problem on my iOS 9 devices (which sync with the same iTunes library).

The tip to use force touch / long touch has helped. I can see lyrics for most of my library. As always, when I sync for the second time, I lose a chunk of my lyrics. They seem to be from albums that are on the "Recently Added" playlist, or that I have marked as "Loved".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I can't imagine that it's just you.
I didn't say that :) (although I fully acknowledge that my earlier post wasn't written very well).

It's possible that the issue only affects a small percentage of customers (obviously including everyone in this thread) and that we're a vocal minority*. The other possibility is that Apple asked for logs without actually trying it themselves first...

*Although that doesn't explain why completely wiping and rebuilding doesn't fix it.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
It's possible that the issue only affects a small percentage of customers (obviously including everyone in this thread) and that we're a vocal minority*.

Sorry for misquoting you. I've wondered the same thing, like if there's a bad file, or a certain string of characters in a song lyric that causes the issue. However, it doesn't explain why iOS 9 isn't affected.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I think it is iOS and App version related

I just tried my iPhone 4s and it was showing the lyrics for a few songs.

Then after I updated with 20 songs in a playlist called words (all had lyrics in iTunes) - the playlists loaded and the iPhone 4S updated (the Music app updated also) and the songs had no lyrics including the songs that were working before the Sync :(

Even on the songs that were fine before - after the sync - no lyrics.

Also I noticed that even in iTunes purchases - there are no lyrics for new music - I purchased an album - Big Wreck Ghosts a few days ago on iTunes - and the album artwork was there but no lyrics - perhaps the lyrics are not supplied by apple when purchased?

But I am positive the lyrics did used to show in iPhone 4S - not sure when that changed.

Edit - My Iphone6 - iOS 10.3.3 does not show any lyrics

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm, is it maybe an iTunes bug and not iOS itself? It seems from your case that iTunes is nuking the lyrics during the sync.

I have an iPhone 8 so I'm limited by how far I can go back; I think I'm stuck with iTunes 12.6 or newer so I can't really test this.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Has anyone’s problem been resolved? I stopped “double syncing” a few months ago (meaning that I only sync my phone once per sitting) and my lyrics haven’t disappeared. I also noticed that one of the updates brought back the “show/hide lyrics” button above “Up Next”.

Reactions: Nermal

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Has anyone’s problem been resolved? I stopped “double syncing” a few months ago (meaning that I only sync my phone once per sitting) and my lyrics haven’t disappeared. I also noticed that one of the updates brought back the “show/hide lyrics” button above “Up Next”.

Since 11.4 update, lyrics have been showing up on my iPhone and iPad (I don’t use Apple Music). Hopefully, this issue is finally resolved for all concerned.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I hadn't even been checking recently, but yes, my lyrics seem to be showing up again :) (admittedly I only tested one song).

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
I hadn't even been checking recently, but yes, my lyrics seem to be showing up again :) (admittedly I only tested one song).
[doublepost=1533139697][/doublepost]Yes, the bug appeared to have been quietly fixed as of a few releases ago (11.3 perhaps).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.