Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 10 have a proper redesign?

• Yes: The current UI has gotten stale and needs an overhaul

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • No: Apple will drag it out the current UI as long as they can

Votes: 193 74.8%

• Total voters

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
Hey. I hear alot call it X. What are the iOS 10 rumors ? since its name is nicknamed after OSX

bcodemz

macrumors member
May 6, 2014
So there was a report last year that Apple was putting a huge focus on optimization for iOS 9, but turns out that didn't happen. However, El Captain did get the huge focus on optimization, and the result is dramatic.

So, since iOS is so heavily based on OS X, do you think Apple is putting the optimizations on OS X first to try it out before putting it on iOS? I think this is a good idea for several reasons. It lets Apple develop and mature the optimizations on OS X first. It would also fit iOS 10 better, like Apple can call it "iOS reborn" or something to focus on the efficiency and optimization of the new iOS.

This is also important, because Apple can no longer rely on hardware to solve their speed problems. Within 3 years, we will start seeing just 25% year over year improvement on hardware instead of the doubling of processing power every year. Hardware is reaching the physical limits to go any faster, just as Intel has seen over the past 5 years where the year over year improvement in Intel's chips have only been 10-15% for the past 5 years. I see Apple getting one more doubling in CPU performance from a combination of increased CPU clock frequency and architectural improvements, and a second doubling from going from dual core to quad core. Therefore, the future of mobile devices will be focused on OS optimization to get additional speed.

Reactions: AleXXXa

rpetunderclass

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
I can easily predict future...
iOS 9.3.2 will be perfect, performance wise, then Apple will release iOS 10 and the forum will be flooded by whiners complaining about how good iOS 9 was and how terrible iOS 10 is.

Every single year.
with these new iOS versions, are they complete rewrites?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
with these new iOS versions, are they complete rewrites?

Not complete rewrites but often many portions do get completely rewritten to accommodate the new features. And also depends how integrated system wide a feature is the more code gets changed.

iOS 7 vs iOS 9 even though it "looks" the same, they are probably very different code wise over the two years of adding iOS 8 features and iOS 9 features.

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
Can just see it now: @ WWDC 2016

Tim Cook: "iOS 10. The best operating system Apple has ever created. We took iOS 9 and perfected it. We rewrote everything from scratch. Now 90% faster then iOS 9. iOS 10, what iOS 9 should have been"

And again, same crap every year.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
So there was a report last year that Apple was putting a huge focus on optimization for iOS 9, but turns out that didn't happen.

Are you basing your statement that optimization was to be delivered in iOS 9.0? Like MaxIT said iOS 9.3.2 will most likely be the last iOS 9 build until September of this year.

Unfortunately, those 5-6 months where iOS 9 will be perfect will not be appreciated because the users here will all jump on the iOS 10 Beta 1 Whine train.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Are you basing your statement that optimization was to be delivered in iOS 9.0? Like MaxIT said iOS 9.3.2 will most likely be the last iOS 9 build until September of this year.

And what are you basing that on? lol No chance on a 9.4?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And what are you basing that on? lol No chance on a 9.4?

He basing it on 9.3 probably not coming until early/mid March and with iOS 10 beta probably starting end of June/beginning of July. It doesn't leave much time in between for a 9.4, a 9.4.1 or a 9.4.2.

iOS 8 saw a .4 only because it was to add Apple Music and the redesigned Music app for April. 9.3 seems like the last addition for iOS 9 this time around. So it will likely only see minor 9.3.1 and maybe 9.3.2 point releases and nothing further.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
None of us know what they are planning on doing. What did iOS 9.2 add for features? Heck, why is there a 9.3 release other than to add nightshift ? Was anyone expecting it ? iOS 7 only went to 7.1.2 and iOS 6 to 6.1.4 Who knows? Maybe a 9.4 will be needed to support the rumored Air 3 and its rumored 4K resolution ? iOS 9.1 added the support for the iPad Pro. So what is the basis of using statements like "most likely be the last version before iOS 10"?

Last edited:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
None of us know what they are planning on doing. What did iOS 9.2 add for features? Heck, why is there a 9.3 release other than to add nightshift ? Was anyone expecting it ? iOS 7 only went to 7.1.2 and iOS 6 to 6.1.4 Who knows? Maybe a 9.4 will be needed to support the rumored Air 3 and its rumored 4K resolution ? So what is the basis of using statements like "most likely be the last version before iOS 10"?

Air 3 support will probably be included in the 9.3 release (same for the iPhone 5se) Since it's probably getting announced at the March event. 9.3 release hasn't been given a date but Apple has said "in the spring" which lines right up with the March event.

The basis is based on the timeline. 9.4 was released in April and only say 8.4.1 between then and 9.0. 8.4.1 was even in beta at the same time as 9.0. If 9.3 releases in March right around the event. That is not much longer than a months behind when 8.4 dropped. No way will Apple have time to release a 9.4 and then a 9.4.1 in that "extra" months time. Final iOS versions are always a "x.x.x" and not left at only a "x.x".

Could there be a 9.4? Maybe, but not likely based off the timeline. Especially when compared to last years timeline.

P.S no way will the Air 3 have a 4K screen. Literally no one would buy an iPad Pro if it's smaller sibling was just as powerful (A9X) and with a way higher res screen. (Plus 4K is 16x9 ratio, iPads use a 4:3 ratio.)

Reactions: Baerok

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Air 3 support will probably be included in the 9.3 release (same for the iPhone 5se) Since it's probably getting announced at the March event. 9.3 release hasn't been given a date but Apple has said "in the spring" which lines right up with the March event.

The basis is based on the timeline. 9.4 was released in April and only say 8.4.1 between then and 9.0. 8.4.1 was even in beta at the same time as 9.0. If 9.3 releases in March right around the event. That is not much longer than a months behind when 8.4 dropped. No way will Apple have time to release a 9.4 and then a 9.4.1 in that "extra" months time. Final iOS versions are always a "x.x.x" and not left at only a "x.x".

Could there be a 9.4? Maybe, but not likely based off the timeline. Especially when compared to last years timeline.

P.S no way will the Air 3 have a 4K screen. Literally no one would buy an iPad Pro if it's smaller sibling was just as powerful (A9X) and with a way higher res screen. (Plus 4K is 16x9 ratio, iPads use a 4:3 ratio.)

I suspect it won't have 4K either but we've seen the rumor here. IMO,no need for 4 k on such a small screen but that's a different debate. Lol

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
None of us know what they are planning on doing. What did iOS 9.2 add for features? Heck, why is there a 9.3 release other than to add nightshift ? Was anyone expecting it ? iOS 7 only went to 7.1.2 and iOS 6 to 6.1.4 Who knows? Maybe a 9.4 will be needed to support the rumored Air 3 and its rumored 4K resolution ? iOS 9.1 added the support for the iPad Pro. So what is the basis of using statements like "most likely be the last version before iOS 10"?

iOS could easily be updated to 9.3.x for a new iPad, but it's not necessary. Historically, new iDevices can be writen in with a custom build. Since every iOS device already uses forked versions, iOS 9.2.1 could be forked for an Air 3 and we wouldn't even know. iPod touches are known for these things.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
So there was a report last year that Apple was putting a huge focus on optimization for iOS 9, but turns out that didn't happen. However, El Captain did get the huge focus on optimization, and the result is dramatic

I think Apple just messed up iOS 9. There's no way they would announce that the main benefit of iOS 9 is improved performance and then just not deliver it. No, Apple released iOS 9.0 and it simply wasn't as quick as they made out. I've no doubt that some code improved efficiency and battery life, but overall I don't think anyone has noticed anything of the sort. Sure, performance has improved with the .1 updates, but this shouldn't be the case - iOS 9.0 should have delivered a quicker OS with .1 and .2 delivering even more performance and stability. I think iOS 10 will likely introduce some new features and a new look - the time for a complete, ground-up rewrite was iOS 9. The only way I can see iOs 10 being a rewrite/optimisation OS is if they drop support for non 64-bit systems.

This is also important, because Apple can no longer rely on hardware to solve their speed problems. Within 3 years, we will start seeing just 25% year over year improvement on hardware instead of the doubling of processing power every year. Hardware is reaching the physical limits to go any faster, just as Intel has seen over the past 5 years where the year over year improvement in Intel's chips have only been 10-15% for the past 5 years. I see Apple getting one more doubling in CPU performance from a combination of increased CPU clock frequency and architectural improvements, and a second doubling from going from dual core to quad core. Therefore, the future of mobile devices will be focused on OS optimization to get additional speed.

Genuinely interested in this - what makes you think the mobile market is reaching a plateau? People were predicting the end of massive gains after the A6 chip; then again after the A8 chip. However, the A7 and A9 chips blew everyone away. The A9 introduced a new architecture (FINFET) which I think can be further optimised for the A10 and then a 10 nm process will enable further boosts. There is also scope for the GPU to be improved leading to speed optimisations. This is before any movement to multicore chips (something I thing Apple wants to avoid seeing as the iPad Pro is 'only' dual core).

Reactions: trifid

bcodemz

macrumors member
May 6, 2014
Genuinely interested in this - what makes you think the mobile market is reaching a plateau? People were predicting the end of massive gains after the A6 chip; then again after the A8 chip. However, the A7 and A9 chips blew everyone away. The A9 introduced a new architecture (FINFET) which I think can be further optimised for the A10 and then a 10 nm process will enable further boosts. There is also scope for the GPU to be improved leading to speed optimisations. This is before any movement to multicore chips (something I thing Apple wants to avoid seeing as the iPad Pro is 'only' dual core).

What I said only applies to CPU, so I'll focus on the CPU. The A4 is a pretty standard Cortex A8 inside. The A5 is a pretty standard Cortex A9. It is starting A6 that Apple started blowing away the competition (Cortex A15) with a smart architecture that focuses on large and wide bus speeds to achieve it's excellent performance. I saw this as a very good architecture improvement over the Cortex A8 in the A5.

I was blown away by the A7 which seems to pretty much doubled performance with pure architecture efficiencies and minimal clock speed improvement. The A8 is lacklustre as they started running out of ideas/things to do on the architecture side and just relied on a die shrink to 20nm.

The A9 is again quite impressive, but they didn't achieve something magical like the A7. They got the gains, approximately half of them from the architecture improvement, and the other half from the much higher clock speed from the 14/16nm manufacturing process.

Notice in each A6, A7, and in A9 there were *massive* architecture improvements? There is only so much improvement you can do to an architecture, and I feel they have reached a point where they've optimized so much that there will only be one more major optimization gain. Think about it, the A9X is reaching pretty close to the performance of Intel i3 chips at a fraction of the power consumption. They've already done way better on the architecture side than I expected. Apple have already exhausted the traditional techniques of improving IPC from increasing memory interface width, bus lanes, FINFET, etc. Intel's rate of improvement has dropped to the 10% range for over 5 years already because they've ran out of big things to improve on. Therefore, I think they're reaching the limits on the architecture side.

The other way to increase performance is to increase the clock speed, and you can do that without excessive consequences of heat and power consumption from smaller manufacturing processes. But Apple is already at 14nm. There won't be too many more die shrinks. There will be 10nm, then 7nm, and below that will get very, very hard due to the increasing quantum effects on the transistors as they become close to the size of an atom and some basic physics limitations on size. We won't even reach 10nm for at least 2 years, and when we get 10nm, that'll very likely be Apple's second last major CPU performance improvement. At that point, power consumption should be low enough that Apple can move from dual core to quad core, and this move will be the last major CPU performance improvement.

However, I can see Apple moving towards quad core very soon, as early as the A10, because Apple has gotten a die shrink with every generation, but they will be stuck on the same process and won't get a boost from a die shrink. Therefore I don't think they'll get a large enough boost in performance from architecture or clock speed (which is already very high), and they'll have to rely on more cores.

Last edited:

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
I can easily predict future...
iOS 9.3.2 will be perfect, performance wise, then Apple will release iOS 10 and the forum will be flooded by whiners complaining about how good iOS 9 was and how terrible iOS 10 is.

Every single year.
Only if the new version is worse, Max...Only in that case.
Which seems like a valid reason for people to say whatever they want.

Have you seen any MacRumors staff member saying something like "Oh please don't post your technical problems or the things you find"?

That said, the new, upcoming version SHOULD be better than the last (according to Apple's own promotion, reveal and ads) at the same time it adresses the faults from the previous version and generates the less possible amounts of trouble given the long time in developing and internal testing plus developers beta testing plus public users beta testing and both reporting everything.

In conclusion, you didn't even criticize anyone in this forum, because i'm sure that's NOT what you meant.
You just pointed out one of the biggest flaws regarding how Apple manages software development and release.
I think it's a very positive thing that you're backing up people with such claims, or as you call them, whiners. Keep it that way!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Have you seen any MacRumors staff member saying something like "Oh please don't post your technical problems or the things you find"?

That said, the new, upcoming version SHOULD be better than the last (according to Apple's own promotion, reveal and ads) at the same time it adresses the faults from the previous version and generates the less possible amounts of trouble given the long time in developing and internal testing plus developers beta testing plus public users beta testing and both reporting everything.

In conclusion, you didn't even criticize anyone in this forum, because i'm sure that's NOT what you meant.
You just pointed out one of the biggest flaws regarding how Apple manages software development and release.
I think it's a very positive thing that you're backing up people with such claims, or as you call them, whiners. Keep it that way!
First release of a brand new version will generally have some issues here or there conspired to the last release of a previous version which had the benefit of months and months of refinement.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I still have to see one version of iOS that's worse than the previous.
Every single version in way better, with new functionalities and support for new hardware.
A few glitches when you introduce new functionalities are to be expected.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I still have to see one version of iOS that's worse than the previous.
Every single version in way better, with new functionalities and support for new hardware.
A few glitches when you introduce new functionalities are to be expected.

I respect your opinion, likewise others have a different opinion, not necessarily a reason to consider them a whiner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.