Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 10 have a proper redesign?

• Yes: The current UI has gotten stale and needs an overhaul

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • No: Apple will drag it out the current UI as long as they can

Votes: 193 74.8%

• Total voters

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Except it's not an issue that needs to be resolved.

Hypothetically what happens when Apple changes the UI in 2018 to take advantage of the reported switch to OLED and its everything you've ever dreamed of? A whole new set of people who hate it to no end and claim it to be the worst possible design ever will arise and take the place you currently stand now. That's what happens and will continue to happen. Nothing will ever change that.

It's a never ending thing because no matter what, there will always be a small percent who don't approve.

This is what you don't seem to understand.

I just want a UI that looks finished and polished. The iOS 7 design has a very unrefined and unfinished look and feel to it. I mean, it's no secret that they rushed iOS 7 to have something ready in time for WWDC and September, but they didn't seem to bother finishing the work that they started. In contrast, the OS X redesign looked more thought-out and planned considering they had more time to work on that.

I think Apple needs to get back to their strive for perfection and obsession over the smallest details.

Reactions: g-7

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Did you even read the links or submit feedback to Apple as I've done?

I think with enough feedback, Apple would at least have to acknowledge the concerns that I and many other have with iOS. Being a bystander to the issue is not helpful or productive. Things don't change or improve if there's no discussion or debate, otherwise Apple continues to get away with mediocrity.

Can we all at least agree that the current music app on iOS is an absolute disgrace?

The links you provide only state the opinions of a few others who are in agreement with you. There is nothing there that made me think "wow I was totally wrong for liking iOS the way it is".

There are millions upon millions of iOS users who just use the software and don't obsess over every little thing like some people here. that "awful" iOS is only in the heads of a few people here and do not reflect the views of the majority.

I use the stock music app every day. I'm ok with it, I don't obsess over it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something needs to change then! The fact that the topic hasn't died after almost 3 years shows that the underlying issues need to be addressed and resolved by Apple.
It just means that some people have their preferences and that Apple will do whatever it is they are going to do regardless of the preferences of some people. You can even say the same thing was around the first day of iOS or iPhone OS where some didn't like that design and kept on talking about it needing to change, which despite their talk didn't happen for 6 years, and when it did quite a few of those people weren't happy about it as it changed to something they didn't care for.

So all it really shows is that there will always be some that want something else, and even some that when they get something else they want something else other than what they got. I agree there are definitely design and functional refinements and improvements and even perhaps changes that would be good, but the reality is that Aplle will do what Apple will do.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Something needs to change then! The fact that the topic hasn't died after almost 3 years shows that the underlying issues need to be addressed and resolved by Apple.

The topic hasn't died in almost 3 years because some people don't know when to give up. 3 years from now and it still won't matter.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
I think at this point of being 12 pages long, the topic has been fully discussed and no further value will result in keeping this thread open, other then continued bickering and arguing.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
So this is the situation that iOS is in: Easy to use and intuitive, but still lacks some things that Android has. Many people think that dealing with those shortcomings would ruin the simplicity of iOS. But I don't see it that way. Here's my take on how Apple should deal with the situation in the next major release of iOS:

Theming. My single favourite advantage of my Samsung phone. The ability to change the look of the device completely. Apple could have their own custom themes. The current look of iOS could be an option, as well as a dark theme, or even the original, skeuomorphic design. One of the areas where Apple would have a major advantage over Samsung is with third-party support. The ability for third-party apps to adopt the current theme. And of course, the ability for them to create their own themes.

Revamped 3D Touch. First of all, change the feel of it by making it produce feedback upon releasing pressure. Make the screen feel like a button. Second, instead of opening up shortcuts upon pressing, open up like a mini version of the app, reduced down to a few elements, sort of like a widget. This could replace the need for widgets, while still keeping the simple grid layout.

Improved notifications. This is one area where iOS majorly falls short. With Android notifications stay until dismissed or acted upon, whereas with iOS they disappear after unlocking the device (which by the way happens so quickly on devices with Touch ID, especially the 6S, that there's pretty much no way of seeing them), only sorted away in a little corner of the device, which is usually incredibly disorganised. Just...make it like Android.

Improved control centre: Customisable. Whatever controls you want, and however many you want. Not much more to it.

Continuum equivalent: It's the one really neat feature of Windows 10. The ability to hook your phone up to a monitor and being able to access all your stuff through an OS X-like interface. It's just futuristic

Manual camera controls: Another feature I love from Samsung. The ability to change shutter speed and ISO is invaluable in my opinion. I love taking slow or quick shutter shots. Just makes for a nicer experience with the camera. And maybe a double-tap of the power button to launch the camera?

I'm also anticipating a completely new OS for the iPad. I won't go into detail here, but I just wish that the iPad software was built on its own, not taking influence from the iPhone software.

What do you guys think? Do you think that this would make for an overall better experience?

Reactions: yep-sure and Armen

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree some level of theming would be nice. (I used to jailbreak way back on the iPhone 3G and it was nice to set custom icons and sounds that aren't normally allowed to change)

But theming would kill all consistency moving from iOS itself to app to app. Everything would look different. You change the iOS theme to whatever and then open an app and it looks like iOS we know today. You would then have to rely on app developers to update their apps so that can adapt to theme changes. We all know how quickly apps get updated just for screen size (not fast at all, if ever. And we're dealing with that again on the iPad Pro) or when when iOS changed its design from 6 to 7. It took quite a while until apps updated to the new design. (Even my bank app which is one of the top banks in Canada didn't update their iOS 6 looking app until this year to a more modern, fits in with iOS 7-9 look)

Manual controls for camera built into the stock camera app would be nice. For now I just use Camera+ for when I want more control with manual settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: iOSUser7

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Manual camera settings were introduced as an API last year I believe. You can use a 3rd party app to access these settings. Just an FYI

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I agree some level of theming would be nice. (I used to jailbreak way back on the iPhone 3G and it was nice to set custom icons and sounds that aren't normally allowed to change)

But theming would kill all consistency moving from iOS itself to app to app. Everything would look different. You change the iOS theme to whatever and then open an app and it looks like iOS we know today. You would then have to rely on app developers to update their apps so that can adapt to theme changes. We all know how quickly apps get updated just for screen size (not fast at all, if ever. And we're dealing with that again on the iPad Pro) or when when iOS changed its design from 6 to 7. It took quite a while until apps updated to the new design. (Even my bank app which is one of the top banks in Canada didn't update their iOS 6 looking app until this year to a more modern, fits in with iOS 7-9 look)

Manual controls for camera built into the stock camera app would be nice. For now I just use Camera+ for when I want more control with manual settings.

Allowing themes would be a pretty cool feature but I doubt Apple will allow it because the iconic home screen icons is Apple's brand recognition. Even if you put your iPhone in a case the icons are a give away that it's an iPhone and not some other brand.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I really don't see how a revamped 3D Touch would add to the experience much. It just feels like it would be bad from a performance angle as well as a usability angle.

As for Continuum? Apple can't even get everyone to make their apps work with the screen sizes they have right now with the resolutions that hey have now. I don't see how adding a larger number of both would provide a good experience.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I agree on notifications, but all the other of OPs suggestions are not something I would be interested in.

Personally I would just spend a year doing bug fixes and UI optimizations.

Reactions: yep-sure
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.