Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 10 have a proper redesign?

• Yes: The current UI has gotten stale and needs an overhaul

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • No: Apple will drag it out the current UI as long as they can

Votes: 193 74.8%

• Total voters

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If there are like a few thousands buying it in the first place,nothing impressive.A complete contrast to Steve Jobs era where the guy behind Android was watching they keynote where iPhone was being introduced in his car and he stopped it and telephoned his team to completely scrap the existing project they were working on just by looking at the iPhone.THAT was the Jobs era.Not some fashion BS accessory
Jobs era was also Apple maps and I will stop there. What's your point? Apple Watch by all measures is a success even if it doesn't live up to "your" expectations. Heck the 6s by all measures is a success and on and on.
[doublepost=1456232248][/doublepost]
Exactly, compared to previous shift key design that NO-ONE had a problem with.
Sorry. I had an issue with it at first. Learned it, iOS 7 confused me at first, learned it and here we are at iOS 9. It's all easy after you learn it.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Jobs era was also Apple maps and I will stop there. What's your point? Apple Watch by all measures is a success even if it doesn't live up to "your" expectations. Heck the 6s by all measures is a success and on and on.
[doublepost=1456232248][/doublepost]
Sorry. I had an issue with it at first. Learned it, iOS 7 confused me at first, learned it and here we are at iOS 9. It's all easy after you learn it.
Nokia and Blackberry were also successful at one point.And you know what resulted in their fall?Arrogance.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If there are like a few thousands buying it in the first place,nothing impressive.A complete contrast to Steve Jobs era where the guy behind Android was watching they keynote where iPhone was being introduced in his car and he stopped it and telephoned his team to completely scrap the existing project they were working on just by looking at the iPhone.THAT was the Jobs era.Not some fashion BS accessory
So an unrealistic expectation of something revolutionary on essentially a consistent basis?

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So an unrealistic expectation of something revolutionary on essentially a consistent basis?
Yes "something revolutionary on a consistent basis" was the old and innovative Apple.The iPod,iPhone and iPad were all consistent releases.You know the one element common in each of these release which basically make up the entirety of Apple's revenue?Steve Jobs.

And even if you still consider the Apple Watch to be a success?You know who REALLY created it?Steve Jobs

I can't stress upon this enough.TC is a businessman.SJ was a visionary

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes "something revolutionary on a consistent basis" was the old and innovative Apple.The iPod,iPhone and iPad were all consistent releases.You know the one element common in each of these release which basically make up the entirety of Apple's revenue?Steve Jobs.

And even if you still consider the Apple Watch to be a success?You know who REALLY created it?Steve Jobs

It's nothing and it's not a success...but if it is something and it's a success well then it's because Steve Jobs. The logic there...totally.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nokia and Blackberry were also successful at one point.And you know what resulted in their fall?Arrogance.
So now you are implying Apple will fail? Sure it's a possibility. Samsung could fail also. A meteor can hit the earth and dinosaurs can again rule. And we can take this hyperbole anywhere. /s
[doublepost=1456240515][/doublepost]

Whatever you think this is the course that Apple is going. TC has a rare talent of being both a businessman and a visionary. Under his tutalage the company is doing extraordinary well, in spite of the naysayers on macrumors, which shows this train of thought is in the minority. But nonetheless everybody is entitled to an opinion.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013

You're missing the point, the fact that the shift key issue only surfaced after iOS 7 and not before speaks volumes to the diminishing level of quality software design over at Apple. As it was said before, there were practically no complaints about the shift key or the UI in general so that leaves a question, is Apple to blame in this matter or are the customers simply in the wrong (which they and the fanboys would probably tell us)? One of the biggest draws to Apple products, for me at least, was the fact that the user interface was very attractive, simple to use and extremely straightforward. No major learning curve or trials-by-error to figure out what does what. iOS 7 was arguably the first Apple-designed (doesn't feel like it though) to actually confuse people. Questions such as "is this a button or a header?" were quite common. If people are confused and baffled by a redesigned interface, you really need to rethink the design of it. The fact that there's still a polarizing debate over the current iOS design definitely says a lot about how Apple has been alienating and disillusioning a great deal of their fans and customers. That's why Apple has been losing its edge, because they've seemingly given up on the human interface guidelines that they themselves invented and perfected over the years. You can deny it all you want, but quality control and thoughtful design don't seem to be prominent at Tim Cook's Apple.
[doublepost=1456264526][/doublepost]
So now you are implying Apple will fail? Sure it's a possibility. Samsung could fail also. A meteor can hit the earth and dinosaurs can again rule. And we can take this hyperbole anywhere. /s
Whatever you think this is the course that Apple is going. TC has a rare talent of being both a businessman and a visionary. Under his tutalage the company is doing extraordinary well, in spite of the naysayers on macrumors, which shows this train of thought is in the minority. But nonetheless everybody is entitled to an opinion.

RIM/BlackBerry fell because they rested on their laurels. Before the iPhone, they were the big boys in town but they grew arrogant, stagnated and stopped listening to their customers. Apple is in danger of falling down the exact same path. As it stands, they're the top mobile phone brand but they've already reached their peak. The competition has either caught up or surpassed it at this point. Unless Apple does something big and exciting with the iPhone and iOS in the near future, they're gonna continue to fall behind and lose customers to their competitors.

And for the love of god, Tim Cook is not a visionary and stop calling him as such. What is about Cook that makes him a visionary? Because I'm not seeing it. His keynote presentations lack the energy and passion that Jobs always charismatically displayed. I highly doubt Cook regularly involves himself in the design studio that way Jobs frequently did. The way I see it, he just does the traditional duties of a CEO and leaves the creative ideas and vision stuff to others because he lacks those traits on his own. When Jobs said something during his keynotes, you knew that he was genuinely enthusiastic, with Cook, it feels like he's reading from a teleprompter script of something. Tim Cook is a competent guy on the business and supply chain ends but do you really believe Cook is the type of guy who dreamt about changing the world from inside his parents' garage when he was young?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're missing the point, the fact that the shift key issue only surfaced after iOS 7 and not before speaks volumes to the diminishing level of quality software design over at Apple. As it was said before, there were practically no complaints about the shift key or the UI in general so that leaves a question, is Apple to blame in this matter or are the customers simply in the wrong (which they and the fanboys would probably tell us)? One of the biggest draws to Apple products, for me at least, was the fact that the user interface was very attractive, simple to use and extremely straightforward. No major learning curve or trials-by-error to figure out what does what. iOS 7 was arguably the first Apple-designed (doesn't feel like it though) to actually confuse people. Questions such as "is this a button or a header?" were quite common. If people are confused and baffled by a redesigned interface, you really need to rethink the design of it. The fact that there's still a polarizing debate over the current iOS design definitely says a lot about how Apple has been alienating and disillusioning a great deal of their fans and customers. That's why Apple has been losing its edge, because they've seemingly given up on the human interface guidelines that they themselves invented and perfected over the years. You can deny it all you want, but quality control and thoughtful design don't seem to be prominent at Tim Cook's Apple.
[doublepost=1456264526][/doublepost]

RIM/BlackBerry fell because they rested on their laurels. Before the iPhone, they were the big boys in town but they grew arrogant, stagnated and stopped listening to their customers. Apple is in danger of falling down the exact same path. As it stands, they're the top mobile phone brand but they've already reached their peak. The competition has either caught up or surpassed it at this point. Unless Apple does something big and exciting with the iPhone and iOS in the near future, they're gonna continue to fall behind and lose customers to their competitors.

And for the love of god, Tim Cook is not a visionary and stop calling him as such. What is about Cook that makes him a visionary? Because I'm not seeing it. His keynote presentations lack the energy and passion that Jobs always charismatically displayed. I highly doubt Cook regularly involves himself in the design studio that way Jobs frequently did. The way I see it, he just does the traditional duties of a CEO and leaves the creative ideas and vision stuff to others because he lacks those traits on his own. When Jobs said something during his keynotes, you knew that he was genuinely enthusiastic, with Cook, it feels like he's reading from a teleprompter script of something. Tim Cook is a competent guy on the business and supply chain ends but do you really believe Cook is the type of guy who dreamt about changing the world from inside his parents' garage when he was young?
Please stop posting as if there is a single right answer and it is contained in your posts. Hint: it's not. And the reference to RIM? You think Apple will fail. As I said before anything on earth can happen. Apple can swallow Samsung, Apple can swallow Google. It's as likely scenario as any.

As far as the shift key my initial comments stand: iOS 6; learned it. iOS 7; learned it. iOS 9; learned it. No biggie.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I am just saying how big companies who used to dominate the market entirely have fallen before because of focusing more on margins than customer satisfaction.
Lol at TC a visionary.Exactly what product category did he reinvent?

The company is doing so well that the iPhone sales and revenue is on decline from next quarter for the first time in nearly a decade !Great job TC

PS- Samsung has a lot less chances of failing than Apple.The company is into home appliances,chipsets,computer components,televisions and almost any product category to insulate them from the smartphone business

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyMatt87

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am just saying how big companies who used to dominate the market entirely have fallen before because of focusing more on margins than customer satisfaction.

The company is doing so well that the iPhone sales and revenue is on decline from next quarter for the first time in nearly a decade !Great job TC

PS- Samsung has a lot less chances of failing than Apple.The company is into home appliances,chipsets,computer components,televisions and almost any product category to insulate them from the smartphone business

If you really think smartphone sales are going to start to decline because of Tim Cook, you are hugely misinformed. Pretty much ALL smartphone manufacturers are going to see a decline as well, because that market is totally saturated now. By your logic, when Samsung came out and said they will see a decline next quarter is because of Tim Cook too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Ever hear of GM, Lehman Bros etc. Too big to fail could be a theme. So LOL at that. BTW GM had revenues of 154B vs Samsungs 6B.

Seems like you have a very narrow definition of a visionary.

And by the way Apple is doing so poorly it had the worst record breaking quarter in years.:D Great job TC!

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If you really think smartphone sales are going to start to decline because of Tim Cook, you are hugely misinformed. Pretty much ALL smartphone manufacturers are going to see a decline as well, because that market is totally saturated now. By your logic, when Samsung came out and said they will see a decline next quarter is because of Tim Cook too.
I am not talking about the common rabble manufacturers who were already reaping heavy losses from the beginning.Apple Was SUPPOSED to be a cut above the rest.Tim Cook has an obsession with thinness and measly storage which indicates a complete lack of innovation on the iPhone.Wireless charging,OLED,Quick Charge,a second display like LG,modular parts,reducing the huge bezelsmand integrating TouchID in the screen,waterproofing.NOw something Loke THESE are exactly what the iPhone needed to actually get consumers to be excited about the new iPhone.All he did was increase the power and RAM,slapped in 3D touch and called it a day.TC is solely responsible for the declining sales.
Even on iPad there is a complete lack of innovation resulting in these declining sales.There is hardly any utilitarian of the huge screen and we are stuck witha 4X5 layout and a huge keyboard on the iPad pro having big ass buttons instead of optimising it properly.All TC does every year is make the iPad thinner and faster and calls it a day.

Now to get on topic I still feel iOS 10 should eliminate transparency and have solid colors to make it easier for all kinds if hardware to render.Enough of this flaT My little Pony design

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am not talking about the common rabble manufacturers who were already reaping heavy losses from the beginning.Apple Was SUPPOSED to be a cut above the rest.Tim Cook has an obsession with thinness and measly storage which indicates a complete lack of innovation on the iPhone.Wireless charging,OLED,Quick Charge,a second display like LG,modular parts,reducing the huge bezelsmand integrating TouchID in the screen,waterproofing.NOw something Loke THESE are exactly what the iPhone needed to actually get consumers to be excited about the new iPhone.All he did was increase the power and RAM,slapped in 3D touch and called it a day.TC is solely responsible for the declining sales.
Even on iPad there is a complete lack of innovation resulting in these declining sales.There is hardly any utilitarian of the huge screen and we are stuck witha 4X5 layout and a huge keyboard on the iPad pro having big ass buttons instead of optimising it properly.All TC does every year is make the iPad thinner and faster and calls it a day.

Now to get on topic I still feel iOS 10 should eliminate transparency and have solid colors to make it easier for all kinds if hardware to render.Enough of this flaT My little Pony design
So just throwing hardware is innovation? You have a different view than me but a similar view to a "spec junkie". Apple is a cut above the rest and it shows in their financials and valuation; no matter what you say on these forums. If Apple were bankrupt and going out of business I would say you have a point.nhowever the record breaking profits of Apple shows you are clearly incorrect in your posts and the people have spoken that they don't consider your laundry list of hardware upgrades to be essential..

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Please stop posting as if there is a single right answer and it is contained in your posts. Hint: it's not. And the reference to RIM? You think Apple will fail. As I said before anything on earth can happen. Apple can swallow Samsung, Apple can swallow Google. It's as likely scenario as any.

As far as the shift key my initial comments stand: iOS 6; learned it. iOS 7; learned it. iOS 9; learned it. No biggie.
There's difference between CAN and WILL. No one knows if Apple is gonna end but we can be ceratin that it isn't gonna be on the top forever.

As for the iPhone be sure that its time will pass, it could be in 5 years or 2 decades but it's gonna happen for sure. Something better will come up, maybe developed by the same Apple or a new company, who knows, but the smartphone era, the social media era, Facebook, Twitter...everything will eventually reach its end

Reactions: Radon87000

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There's difference between CAN and WILL. No one knows if Apple is gonna end but we can be ceratin that it isn't gonna be on the top forever.

As for the iPhone be sure that its time will pass, it could be in 5 years or 2 decades but it's gonna happen for sure. Something better will come up, maybe developed by the same Apple or a new company, who knows, but the smartphone era, the social media era, Facebook, Twitter...everything will eventually reach its end
Yep agreed everything will reach its end including you and I. Whether or not we will live long enough to see Apple go out of business. :(I'm still waiting for gm and ford to go out of business; I'm sure they will.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yep agreed everything will reach its end including you and I. Whether or not we will live long enough to see Apple go out of business. :(I'm still waiting for gm and ford to go out of business; I'm sure they will.
Are you seriously comparing the automobile industry to smartphones?I mean there is tons of untapped potential there compared to the saturated smartphone market.

And the iPhone is not going to remain a cash cow forever.Not when Android manufacturers are innovating at a much faster pace.So we will definitely live long enough to see what happens next

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
So just throwing hardware is innovation? You have a different view than me but a similar view to a "spec junkie". Apple is a cut above the rest and it shows in their financials and valuation; no matter what you say on these forums. If Apple were bankrupt and going out of business I would say you have a point.nhowever the record breaking profits of Apple shows you are clearly incorrect in your posts and the people have spoken that they don't consider your laundry list of hardware upgrades to be essential..

Name one new product released under Tim Cook that has captivated and mesmerized people the way the iPod, iPhone and iPad did with Steve Jobs. Exactly. Pretty much all the new products released under Cook have been incremental, evolutionary changes. Just a natural progression of improved hardware, while the software has suffered in recent years. I simply cannot count the Apple Watch as its own category since it's too dependent on the iPhone to function. It's an accessory if anything.

Apple won't go full-on bankrupt like in the 90s, sure the corporate culture there under Cook is starting to resemble that era but they have plenty of money now. The fact is, they've probably reached their peak and while they'll still be popular for the foreseeable future, the massive growth period is over and I know you will never admit to it but it's gotta happen eventually.

But yeah, we've gotten way off topic. iOS could definitely use a more well-thought out redesign. Something more elegant and finished looking, befitting of running on an iOS device. Apple needs its own design identity back as well instead of trying to copy Google and Microsoft with flat designs, although Google is probably the most experienced with that style, they probably also have someone in charge who has had several years of experience in software design, not a celebrated hardware designer given the task as a vanity project. Still, I think a design refresh for iOS would do a lot of good for the iPhone and iPad, as it would renew interest and probably pick up sales a bit.

I have been submitting feedback to Apple about the iOS design for a few years now and also in regards to the current ********* of a music app, but they just don't seem to listen to what their customers want. Apple has lost touch with what their customers want, idc about 3D touch or live photos, those sound like the same sort of "novelty" features the fanboys here would bash Samsung for but when Apple does it, it's fresh and exciting.

Maybe Apple does take feedback into consideration but not enough people submit it. We have too many bystanders, like you, who will never admit to any issues whatsoever. Accepting the issues as is and not broadly addressing them so that something can be done about them is partly why Apple can away with anything now it seems.

I think the whole reason why the current issue about the iOS UI persists is not just because of the lack of a thoughtful design, it represents a lot of what's currently wrong with Apple right now. That's why the topics of Jony's ego, Cook's questionable decisions, etc. keep being brought into the fold here because they are all interconnected. I consider myself a fan of Apple but I am willing to criticize them in cases like this where it's necessary instead of finding ways to justify and defend their decisions where it's not warranted. I want Apple to be successful, but not for the 'record sales' bs you keep throwing out as if that's some sort of testament to Tim Cook's 'vision' but being successful for just making top-notch products that just work and letting those products speak for themselves.

I want Apple to get their groove back and rekindle that magic, but that won't happen as long as Tim Cook is CEO.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So just throwing hardware is innovation? You have a different view than me but a similar view to a "spec junkie".
The demands of this "Spec junkie" are going to be implemented in the iPhone on a part by part basis so as to keep the incentive to upgrade intact and yet enjoy heavy margins.You can thank the Android manufacturers who actually invented them later.Wireless charging copied from Samsung.iP68 coating from Sony.OLED from Samsung.And so on and so forth.The LG G5 with the modular design in particular strikes me as the most innovative kid on the block lately.

the people have spoken that they don't consider your laundry list of hardware upgrades to be essential..
Yes the people have spoken. iPhone sales growth to be in the negative next quarter on. Now watch how the OLED iPhone from 2018 breaks sales records that both the 6s and the 7 will fail to break because of these very same upgrades

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Name one new product released under Tim Cook that has captivated and mesmerized people the way the iPod, iPhone and iPad did with Steve Jobs. Exactly. Pretty much all the new products released under Cook have been incremental, evolutionary changes. Just a natural progression of improved hardware, while the software has suffered in recent years. I simply cannot count the Apple Watch as its own category since it's too dependent on the iPhone to function. It's an accessory if anything.

Apple won't go full-on bankrupt like in the 90s, sure the corporate culture there under Cook is starting to resemble that era but they have plenty of money now. The fact is, they've probably reached their peak and while they'll still be popular for the foreseeable future, the massive growth period is over and I know you will never admit to it but it's gotta happen eventually.

But yeah, we've gotten way off topic. iOS could definitely use a more well-thought out redesign. Something more elegant and finished looking, befitting of running on an iOS device. Apple needs its own design identity back as well instead of trying to copy Google and Microsoft with flat designs, although Google is probably the most experienced with that style, they probably also have someone in charge who has had several years of experience in software design, not a celebrated hardware designer given the task as a vanity project. Still, I think a design refresh for iOS would do a lot of good for the iPhone and iPad, as it would renew interest and probably pick up sales a bit.

I have been submitting feedback to Apple about the iOS design for a few years now and also in regards to the current ********* of a music app, but they just don't seem to listen to what their customers want. Apple has lost touch with what their customers want, idc about 3D touch or live photos, those sound like the same sort of "novelty" features the fanboys here would bash Samsung for but when Apple does it, it's fresh and exciting.

Maybe Apple does take feedback into consideration but not enough people submit it. We have too many bystanders, like you, who will never admit to any issues whatsoever. Accepting the issues as is and not broadly addressing them so that something can be done about them is partly why Apple can away with anything now it seems.

I think the whole reason why the current issue about the iOS UI persists is not just because of the lack of a thoughtful design, it represents a lot of what's currently wrong with Apple right now. That's why the topics of Jony's ego, Cook's questionable decisions, etc. keep being brought into the fold here because they are all interconnected. I consider myself a fan of Apple but I am willing to criticize them in cases like this where it's necessary instead of finding ways to justify and defend their decisions where it's not warranted. I want Apple to be successful, but not for the 'record sales' bs you keep throwing out as if that's some sort of testament to Tim Cook's 'vision' but being successful for just making top-notch products that just work and letting those products speak for themselves.

I want Apple to get their groove back and rekindle that magic, but that won't happen as long as Tim Cook is CEO.
In case you don't follow the Internet it seems every iPhone release is mesmerizing. :)

With the 6s apples groove is definitely back.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The demands of this "Spec junkie" are going to be implemented in the iPhone on a part by part basis so as to keep the incentive to upgrade intact and yet enjoy heavy margins.You can thank the Android manufacturers who actually invented them later.Wireless charging copied from Samsung.iP68 coating from Sony.OLED from Samsung.And so on and so forth.The LG G5 with the modular design in particular strikes me as the most innovative kid on the block lately.

Yes the people have spoken. iPhone sales growth to be in the negative next quarter on. Now watch how the OLED iPhone from 2018 breaks sales records that both the 6s and the 7 will fail to break because of these very same upgrades
Sure the rate is negative but it will be probably the smallest record breaking quarter on record. :) still want to keep focusing on the rate? Or the dollars.

For the record I don't care if Apple stole each and every android invention; let them take as much as they can pay for.

By the way how many phones did Apple sell this quarter, 1st fiscal quarter?
[doublepost=1456339660][/doublepost]
You truly are in your own fantasy world...
I don't think so; 75b in revenue last quarter is not a fantasy world and about 49 million people share that fantasy.

So you must be in a lone boat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.