Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 10 have a proper redesign?

• Yes: The current UI has gotten stale and needs an overhaul

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • No: Apple will drag it out the current UI as long as they can

Votes: 193 74.8%

• Total voters

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I like the post jobs Apple and Tim Cook to me isn't your average run of the mill ceo. The 6s shows cook has vision. As for the rest time will tell, we have to see how it will play out.
Exactly what part of the 6s makes you feel Cook has a vision?I mean all he did since Jobs died was increase the screen size,make it thinner and faster

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Exactly. While the 6 introduced the new size, the 6s put Apple on top of the heap as far as performance..paving the way for the i7.
So....you feel making something thinner and faster is an example of a vision?Man you have no idea what a vision is supposed to be in the slightest

Reactions: iOSUser7

perfect_

Suspended
Feb 8, 2016
i think Apple redesign all softwares when they move to a new campus. They need to show us something changed on Apple.

Design will change iPhone 7S Q4 2017
on iOS 11

Yeah, im expecting that.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's funny how the OP claims his opinion as fact that the flat, minimalistic look is bad design, and Ive is incompetent. Just because he doesn't like how it looks (therefore is must be true right?) Offers nothing to backup his claim. Redirects to something else he doesn't like when questioned (I still can't believe he tried to claim the lack of a Facebook widget made 7-9 design bad.) And now redirects the thread into "Tim Cook is a bad CEO because I say he is". Because he hasn't been able to back anything up with facts or anything. So it was time to redirect the whole thread!

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Jony Ive:

1. Works for the most powerful company in the world.
2. Was knighted by the Queen of England for his contributions.
3. Has designed the most iconic/legendary Apple products
4. Will be remembered long after he's gone.

What have you done lately or better yet, what qualifies you to criticize him?

I am irrelevant. But Ive is irrelevant in UI design as he's never done it. HW and SW design are completely different disciplines with different affordances.

Reactions: BillyMatt87

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Complaining on a forum that Apple doesn't read = Y U no make sense?
Yeah it's already known that Apple doesn't read customers feedback. Apple are genius, they had the idea of an iPhone 4s with better antennas, an iOS redesign, a larger iPhone (and the list is long) without any customers feedback, sure.
Exactly. While the 6 introduced the new size, the 6s put Apple on top of the heap as far as performance..paving the way for the i7.
100% agree with Radon87000. I don't see how a fast phone is part of a vision. Steve Jobs would have released the same A9 chip with fast performance if he was alive today, it's just how technology progress.

Nowadays pretty much every flagships are fast, you can't rely on this as a selling point.

Something revolutionnary was the iPhone 4. This phone was way too much ahead of its time back in 2010. There was no competition to this phone. Today I see a lot of competition (and even better in some aspects) to the iPhone 6s.

Reactions: Radon87000

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah it's already known that Apple doesn't read customers feedback. Apple are genius, they had the idea of an iPhone 4s with better antennas, an iOS redesign, a larger iPhone (and the list is long) without any customers feedback, sure.

100% agree with Radon87000. I don't see how a fast phone is part of a vision. Steve Jobs would have released the same A9 chip with fast performance if he was alive today, it's just how technology progress.

Nowadays pretty much every flagships are fast, you can't rely on this as a selling point.

Something revolutionnary was the iPhone 4. This phone was way too much ahead of its time back in 2010. There was no competition to this phone. Today I see a lot of competition (and even better in some aspects) to the iPhone 6s.

Indeed. The Retina display back then was ahead of its time, and everyone was marveling at the pixel density of the iPhone 4's screen.

Not to mention the iPhone 4 being the last iPhone I can remember that has a 'bigger battery' as one of its improvements over its predecessor.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Ok, I disagree as I see him as a visionary maybe even moreso than jobs. So now that we've established sides lets move on.

The iPhone 4 wasn't a big deal, just a 3GS with some updates; any ceo could have done that.
[doublepost=1456060761][/doublepost]
It's funny how the OP claims his opinion as fact that the flat, minimalistic look is bad design, and Ive is incompetent. Just because he doesn't like how it looks (therefore is must be true right?) Offers nothing to backup his claim. Redirects to something else he doesn't like when questioned (I still can't believe he tried to claim the lack of a Facebook widget made 7-9 design bad.) And now redirects the thread into "Tim Cook is a bad CEO because I say he is". Because he hasn't been able to back anything up with facts or anything. So it was time to redirect the whole thread!
Much easier to criticize on an discussion forum than to complement. While the company and products aren't perfect Still have to take a step back and look at their dec fiscal quarter, the record breaking qtr, with the yoy decline. In the end say what you want this is Tims' company and its doing well and their products are top notch.

Last edited:

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
They should redesign it but not based on forum opinions. Those influenced iOS 7/8/9, which would have been much more accomplished if it were not for the flat “today-I-am-offended-by-this” crybabies...

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Ok, I disagree as I see him as a visionary maybe even moreso than jobs. So now that we've established sides lets move on.

The iPhone 4 wasn't a big deal, just a 3GS with some updates; any ceo could have done that.
Not sure if serious or trolling, but yeah as you said we have completely opposed opinions so let's stop arguing it's pointless.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not sure if serious or trolling, but yeah as you said we have completely opposed opinions so let's stop arguing it's pointless.
I'm not sure if your trolling either; since you mentioned it first.

But yeah, there is no right answer. People will think what they want and have their opinions to back it all up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never confirmed or searched for proofs that you defended bendgate, I said that looking at all your (close to fanboy) posts, I assume that you did defended bendgate.
So basically a confirmation of basically making up meaningless and seemingly just petty personal stuff that isn't relevant to the thread, that ultimately only does more to undermine what you might have to say than anything else. Got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yeah it's already known that Apple doesn't read customers feedback.

First off, Apple has a feedback page on their own website that people can submit feedback regarding a specific product. People from Apple are not going to go crawling through 10-20 tech sites trying to find that one whining person to consider their opinion.

Secondly, Apple spends millions of dollars on market research. The decisions they make (like making a larger screen iPhone) is based on data not "opinions" of customers on a tech site.

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I would like to think Apple will pull some rabbits out of hats soon, they have gotten rather boring lately and everything has been evolutionary as far as UI goes for a long time. I would actually go as far to say that their OS has beed riddled with more bugs than ever before and the music app (just one example) has been turned from a simple awesome music listening go-to, into a bug riddled nightmare.

I wish they would step it up a notch.

doctorwhofan98

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2014
England, UK
I think Apple won't do a major redesign of iOS for a few more years, considering how long it took for the first major redesign - in iOS 7 - to occur. There's nothing wrong with the current design but I'm hoping iOS 10 is nevertheless a major update. iOS 8 did bring a few new features, but iOS 9 was especially minor, so the last big update was in 2013. Hopefully iOS 10 will therefore be quite a big update regarding features, but I'll be surprised if there are lots of cosmetic changes.

But then again, we don't know anything, really, until WWDC in June.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013

Seriously, you lost all credibility with that statement. Steve Jobs was definitely not lying when he said the iPhone 4 was the biggest leap since the original. Let's see, the iPhone 4 introduced us to the Retina Display, the A-series processors, a sleek industrial design, HD video recording and iOS 4 was a fairly significant update as well. That does not sound like a glorified 3GS to me.

Hell, 2010 was a big year for Apple in general. That was not just the year of the iPhone 4 but also the original iPad, the 2nd gen Apple TV and the current generation design of the MacBook Air. Seriously, Apple wowed the hell outta me that entire year and I have not felt the same level of amazement since. Pretty much every Apple product launch since seemed underwhelming.

Many of the early products released under Cook still had that Steve Jobs stamp of approval which was why they were extremely solid offerings, if predictable. The Apple Watch announcement and launch did not generate any enthusiasm for me or really anyone for that matter. The original iPad announcement and launch felt as special as the iPhone and iPod before it, I remember the excitement and interest that I and many other had going in to check out this new class of product. The Apple Watch is a glorified iPhone accessor being marketed as a fashion statement, not really deserving a being considered in its own class of product especially since it's entirely reliant on another. That was Tim Cook's chance to show the world and (not keep insisting) that Apple was still the same innovative powerhouse it was under his predecessor. Obviously, it's not the runaway success they were hoping for but Apple is never one to admit failure or even slight disappointment. Obviously a gen 1 product will much much improved over the next couple of generations (and there is a lot that needs to be improved), but the Watch hasn't generated nearly the same level of buzz and excitement that the iPad and iPhone did before. There's a reason why Apple is not comfortable about disclosing sales numbers.

It's one thing to somehow imagine Cook being anywhere near the level of a visionary that Jobs actually was, but to downplay when one of the last significant products of the Jobs era as an incremental update is quite insulting.

Reactions: JohnCrichton

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Seriously, you lost all credibility with that statement. Steve Jobs was definitely not lying when he said the iPhone 4 was the biggest leap since the original. Let's see, the iPhone 4 introduced us to the Retina Display, the A-series processors, a sleek industrial design, HD video recording and iOS 4 was a fairly significant update as well. That does not sound like a glorified 3GS to me.

Hell, 2010 was a big year for Apple in general. That was not just the year of the iPhone 4 but also the original iPad, the 2nd gen Apple TV and the current generation design of the MacBook Air. Seriously, Apple wowed the hell outta me that entire year and I have not felt the same level of amazement since. Pretty much every Apple product launch since seemed underwhelming.

Many of the early products released under Cook still had that Steve Jobs stamp of approval which was why they were extremely solid offerings, if predictable. The Apple Watch announcement and launch did not generate any enthusiasm for me or really anyone for that matter. The original iPad announcement and launch felt as special as the iPhone and iPod before it, I remember the excitement and interest that I and many other had going in to check out this new class of product. The Apple Watch is a glorified iPhone accessor being marketed as a fashion statement, not really deserving a being considered in its own class of product especially since it's entirely reliant on another. That was Tim Cook's chance to show the world and (not keep insisting) that Apple was still the same innovative powerhouse it was under his predecessor. Obviously, it's not the runaway success they were hoping for but Apple is never one to admit failure or even slight disappointment. Obviously a gen 1 product will much much improved over the next couple of generations (and there is a lot that needs to be improved), but the Watch hasn't generated nearly the same level of buzz and excitement that the iPad and iPhone did before. There's a reason why Apple is not comfortable about disclosing sales numbers.

It's one thing to somehow imagine Cook being anywhere near the level of a visionary that Jobs actually was, but to downplay when one of the last significant products of the Jobs era as an incremental update is quite insulting.
Really? I'm just using the logic thrown around in this thread. Anyway say what you will Apple has charted its course with you or without you.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Are you seriously suggesting the Apple Watch is a failure just because you don't like Tim Cook?

The Apple Watch in its first gen has 63% of the smartwatch market. Samsung is a very distant second at 16% and they have released a few gens.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/18/smartwatches-overtake-swiss-watches-data/

It's quite the opposite of failure.

Reactions: I7guy

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Quickly, which shift key is on/off ?

ios-7-1-keyboards-v1.jpeg

It took Apple 2 full OS versions to somewhat fix this UI insult. This is a great example of how many things are designed on iOS7-9, to look minimalist (fashion first) at the expense of consistency/usability and it also shows Apple being lost on basic UI 101. Guys this is iOS default keyboard we are talking about, this what you use all day on iOS. How could Apple mess this up?

[doublepost=1456208653][/doublepost]iOS6 had it such beautifully clear:

ios-6-keyboard-ogrady.png

source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-does-apple-suck-at-keyboards/

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I know some people had confusions about it, but speaking personally I never did, and based on various threads about it, there were various others that never did either.

Exactly, compared to previous shift key design that NO-ONE had a problem with.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Are you seriously suggesting the Apple Watch is a failure just because you don't like Tim Cook?

The Apple Watch in its first gen has 63% of the smartwatch market. Samsung is a very distant second at 16% and they have released a few gens.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/18/smartwatches-overtake-swiss-watches-data/

It's quite the opposite of failure.
If there are like a few thousands buying it in the first place,nothing impressive.A complete contrast to Steve Jobs era where the guy behind Android was watching they keynote where iPhone was being introduced in his car and he stopped it and telephoned his team to completely scrap the existing project they were working on just by looking at the iPhone.THAT was the Jobs era.Not some fashion BS accessory

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.