Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 10 have a proper redesign?

• Yes: The current UI has gotten stale and needs an overhaul

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • No: Apple will drag it out the current UI as long as they can

Votes: 193 74.8%

• Total voters

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Sure the rate is negative but it will be probably the smallest record breaking quarter on record. :) still want to keep focusing on the rate? Or the dollars.

For the record I don't care if Apple stole each and every android invention; let them take as much as they can pay for.

By the way how many phones did Apple sell this quarter, 1st fiscal quarter?

Again, how does any of this suggest that Apple got its groove back or that Tim Cook is a visionary?

All it tells me is that Apple has become more focused on increasing profit margins than making quality devices and software. At this point, they are pretty much phoning it in (pun intended).

The only reason why you don't seem to care that Apple stole from Android is because they've already done it and implemented it. But when Samsung did, it was a 'novelty' or 'gimmick' that should be dismissed but being non-biased, what's the difference when Apple does it?
[doublepost=1456340295][/doublepost]
Sure the rate is negative but it will be probably the smallest record breaking quarter on record. :) still want to keep focusing on the rate? Or the dollars.

For the record I don't care if Apple stole each and every android invention; let them take as much as they can pay for.

By the way how many phones did Apple sell this quarter, 1st fiscal quarter?
[doublepost=1456339660][/doublepost]
I don't think so; 75b in revenue last quarter is not a fantasy world and about 49 million people share that fantasy.

So you must be in a lone boat.

I can't dispute the actual numbers but like I said before, it clearly shows that Tim Cook is a bottom-line type of guy.

People buy into Apple because it's a recognizable brand, Jobs did that and Cook is coasting on that.

Michael Bay movies make lots of money, Call of Duty has record launches each year, but does that speak to the quality of either? I don't think you know the difference between quality and quantity. Apple under Cook has become of company focused on the latter.

Jobs was unconcerned about marketshare and how many people are buying x product. As long as the product was of the highest caliber and worked as advertised, it would sell itself. That's why Apple has been missing the mark so often lately. Don't worry about profits or sales, just make damn good products!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Again, how does any of this suggest that Apple got its groove back or that Tim Cook is a visionary?

All it tells me is that Apple has become more focused on increasing profit margins than making quality devices and software. At this point, they are pretty much phoning it in (pun intended).

The only reason why you don't seem to care that Apple stole from Android is because they've already done it and implemented it. But when Samsung did, it was a 'novelty' or 'gimmick' that should be dismissed but being non-biased, what's the difference when Apple does it?
[doublepost=1456340295][/doublepost]

I can't dispute the actual numbers but like I said before, it clearly shows that Tim Cook is a bottom-line type of guy.

People buy into Apple because it's a recognizable brand, Jobs did that and Cook is coasting on that.

Michael Bay movies make lots of money, Call of Duty has record launches each year, but does that speak to the quality of either? I don't think you know the difference between quality and quantity. Apple under Cook has become of company focused on the latter.

Jobs was unconcerned about marketshare and how many people are buying x product. As long as the product was of the highest caliber and worked as advertised, it would sell itself. That's why Apple has been missing the mark so often lately. Don't worry about profits or sales, just make damn good products!
A lot of what is posted is basically generalizations. And I'll put this on you to prove that TC is coasting; he seems to be moving and shaking. To my mind he's churning out viable/innovative products that people are buying.

The paragraph about android is a generalization/hyperbole. Sorry. Nobody claimed that Apple invented anything? Did they invent the MP3 player, cell phone or finger print reader?

SJ is dead and TC is now at the helm. You can't grab market share and record profits, they have to be earned. TC is putting out products that people want to buy. You can't miss the mark and then sell record amounts of products.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
A lot of what is posted is basically generalizations. And I'll put this on you to prove that TC is coasting; he seems to be moving and shaking. To my mind he's churning out viable/innovative products that people are buying.

The paragraph about android is a generalization/hyperbole. Sorry. Nobody claimed that Apple invented anything? Did they invent the MP3 player, cell phone or finger print reader?

SJ is dead and TC is now at the helm. You can't grab market share and record profits, they have to be earned. TC is putting out products that people want to buy. You can't miss the mark and then sell record amounts of products.

Let's look at all the 'innovative' products released under the 'visionary' Cook

(Not counting the iPhone 4S since that was essentially a product of Steve Jobs)

Hardware:

1. iPhone 5: A slightly taller iPhone with LTE. A solid offering but just a natural progression of the iPhone. Nothing special.

2. iPhone 5S: A decent incremental update. Touch ID is a cool (if unoriginal feature) but iOS 7 really brought down a great deal of the experience.

3. iPhone 5C: I'm incredibly glad that this particular iPhone model never caught on. The plastic back was ugly and looked like an after thought and had all the same internals as the 5 from the previous year. Also the overly bright colors matched the equally cartoony flat aesthetic of the current iOS design language. That's the only time the software looked like it matched the hardware. It seems as if the redesign of iOS was based around the 5C.

4. iPhone 6/6 Plus: Predictable and somewhat of a disappointment for a major iPhone release. I liked the curved anodized aluminum back, but not crazy about the antenna lines and the protruding camera. Also iOS 8 was meh. And Apple really overhyped the Apple Pay feature, good concept even if it was a bit too late.

5. iPhone 6S/6S Plus: Pretty underwhelming, even for an S update. 3D touch and live photos felt like the same kinda novelty features that Samsung was doing a few years ago that the fanboys on here condemned. But if Apple does it, then they get pass or something. Also, iOS 9 was another letdown of an update.

6. iPad mini (all generations): A smaller iPad, nothing really to see here. Decent device overall even if it felt a bit shoehorned in.

7. iPad with Retina Display (3&4): A welcomed update even though it added a bit of extra bulk and not much else besides that.

8. iPad Air: Definitely a step up from the previous full-sized iPads. Unfortunately the lack of proper UI optimization in the more recent versions of iOS have prevented me from considering getting one. Pre-iOS 7 handled the interface transition to the larger display much better.

9. iPad Pro: An oversized and overpriced tablet that's actually inferior to the Surface, which is the same overall concept but of course, it was condemned by the Apple fanboys until Apple made their own. Like with its smaller counterparts, the iPad Pro does not fully take advantage of the larger display canvas, essentially running a blown-up iPhone interface on a near-13" display that leaves a lot to be desired. The Apple Pencil looks is also an overpriced and glorified stylus and looks like a parody of Apple that the Onion News would do (MacBook Wheel, anyone?).

10. The iPod lineup: We haven't had a major refresh of the iPod line since the iPhone 5 announcement in 2012. The 6th gen touch and 7th gen nano were welcomed updates and I honestly thought that Apple still cares about iPods and music but of course I was wrong. Discontinuing the iPod classic was a huge blunder, especially considering how terrible of a service and app that Apple Music is, you'd hope there would be a traditional alternative to the unnecessary and clunky streaming features.

11. Apple Watch: It's really hard to classify the Watch as its own product since it's completely reliant on an iPhone to function, it's essentially a fashion accessory for the iPhone. An overpriced one if you look at it like that. It feels less like an important piece of wearable tech and it seems more concerned with marketing itself as a fashion statement. If that doesn't convince you o the lack of focus at Apple today, nothing will.

12. Retina MacBook: Probably the worst MacBook model released. Lack of ports is a definite deal breaker, the lack of a MagSafe connector and the SD FaceTime camera makes the 12" Retina Macbook a lackluster entry to their notebook lineup.

13. The rest of the Mac lineup: This is probably the only product category (for the most part) that Apple has kept solid and consistent so I won't elaborate too much here.

Software:

1. iOS 6: Aside from the Maps debacle being blown out of proportion, iOS 6 was a fantastic update all around. Very beautiful, stabled, refined and polished. Whatever issues people had with this version of iOS definitely paled in comparison to what followed.

2. iOS 7/8/9: I think my opinion of anything iOS 7+ has already been made abundantly clear but I cannot stress enough how this was the beginning of the decline of quality on the software end both in appearance and performance. I'm definitely less attracted to the iOS platform now.

3. OS X Mountain Lion: Great update for the Mac. Brought a lot more iOS features to the desktop even if it was a bit too heavy on the Skeumorphism.

4. OS X Mavericks: A solid update all around. Cleaned out all the textures while still retaining the traditional OS X look and feel. This is the route Apple should've went with iOS.

5. OS X Yosemite/El Capitan: After iOS 7, I was rightfully nervous about the OS X redesign, but I definitely breathed a sigh of relief after seeing it. A much less radical and more conservative redesign. I definitely don't hate the new design of OS X, I think it's a much more mature looking redesign in terms of a sorta flat UI. OS X still has the depth, contrast and detail that iOS currently lacks and should actually implement.

Reactions: bmwtech113

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Let's look at all the 'innovative' products released under the 'visionary' Cook

(Not counting the iPhone 4S since that was essentially a product of Steve Jobs)

Hardware:

1. iPhone 5: A slightly taller iPhone with LTE. A solid offering but just a natural progression of the iPhone. Nothing special.

2. iPhone 5S: A decent incremental update. Touch ID is a cool (if unoriginal feature) but iOS 7 really brought down a great deal of the experience.

3. iPhone 5C: I'm incredibly glad that this particular iPhone model never caught on. The plastic back was ugly and looked like an after thought and had all the same internals as the 5 from the previous year. Also the overly bright colors matched the equally cartoony flat aesthetic of the current iOS design language. That's the only time the software looked like it matched the hardware. It seems as if the redesign of iOS was based around the 5C.

4. iPhone 6/6 Plus: Predictable and somewhat of a disappointment for a major iPhone release. I liked the curved anodized aluminum back, but not crazy about the antenna lines and the protruding camera. Also iOS 8 was meh. And Apple really overhyped the Apple Pay feature, good concept even if it was a bit too late.

5. iPhone 6S/6S Plus: Pretty underwhelming, even for an S update. 3D touch and live photos felt like the same kinda novelty features that Samsung was doing a few years ago that the fanboys on here condemned. But if Apple does it, then they get pass or something. Also, iOS 9 was another letdown of an update.

6. iPad mini (all generations): A smaller iPad, nothing really to see here. Decent device overall even if it felt a bit shoehorned in.

7. iPad with Retina Display (3&4): A welcomed update even though it added a bit of extra bulk and not much else besides that.

8. iPad Air: Definitely a step up from the previous full-sized iPads. Unfortunately the lack of proper UI optimization in the more recent versions of iOS have prevented me from considering getting one. Pre-iOS 7 handled the interface transition to the larger display much better.

9. iPad Pro: An oversized and overpriced tablet that's actually inferior to the Surface, which is the same overall concept but of course, it was condemned by the Apple fanboys until Apple made their own. Like with its smaller counterparts, the iPad Pro does not fully take advantage of the larger display canvas, essentially running a blown-up iPhone interface on a near-13" display that leaves a lot to be desired. The Apple Pencil looks is also an overpriced and glorified stylus and looks like a parody of Apple that the Onion News would do (MacBook Wheel, anyone?).

10. The iPod lineup: We haven't had a major refresh of the iPod line since the iPhone 5 announcement in 2012. The 6th gen touch and 7th gen nano were welcomed updates and I honestly thought that Apple still cares about iPods and music but of course I was wrong. Discontinuing the iPod classic was a huge blunder, especially considering how terrible of a service and app that Apple Music is, you'd hope there would be a traditional alternative to the unnecessary and clunky streaming features.

11. Apple Watch: It's really hard to classify the Watch as its own product since it's completely reliant on an iPhone to function, it's essentially a fashion accessory for the iPhone. An overpriced one if you look at it like that. It feels less like an important piece of wearable tech and it seems more concerned with marketing itself as a fashion statement. If that doesn't convince you o the lack of focus at Apple today, nothing will.

12. Retina MacBook: Probably the worst MacBook model released. Lack of ports is a definite deal breaker, the lack of a MagSafe connector and the SD FaceTime camera makes the 12" Retina Macbook a lackluster entry to their notebook lineup.

13. The rest of the Mac lineup: This is probably the only product category (for the most part) that Apple has kept solid and consistent so I won't elaborate too much here.

Software:

1. iOS 6: Aside from the Maps debacle being blown out of proportion, iOS 6 was a fantastic update all around. Very beautiful, stabled, refined and polished. Whatever issues people had with this version of iOS definitely paled in comparison to what followed.

2. iOS 7/8/9: I think my opinion of anything iOS 7+ has already been made abundantly clear but I cannot stress enough how this was the beginning of the decline of quality on the software end both in appearance and performance. I'm definitely less attracted to the iOS platform now.

3. OS X Mountain Lion: Great update for the Mac. Brought a lot more iOS features to the desktop even if it was a bit too heavy on the Skeumorphism.

4. OS X Mavericks: A solid update all around. Cleaned out all the textures while still retaining the traditional OS X look and feel. This is the route Apple should've went with iOS.

5. OS X Yosemite/El Capitan: After iOS 7, I was rightfully nervous about the OS X redesign, but I definitely breathed a sigh of relief after seeing it. A much less radical and more conservative redesign. I definitely don't hate the new design of OS X, I think it's a much more mature looking redesign in terms of a sorta flat UI. OS X still has the depth, contrast and detail that iOS currently lacks and should actually implement.

*Translation*

"Here is a list of my made up opinions about various things which in turn means they are facts because I say so."

You continue to just spout off your personal dislikes and claiming they're facts. Further proving you (and one other) have no clue what you're even talking now about.

I also find it amusing the both of you have "87" in your user names and post in the same "I don't like it! My opinion is fact" manner.

Reactions: I7guy and Jayderek

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
*Translation*

"Here is a list of my made up opinions about various things which in turn means they are facts because I say so."

You continue to just spout off your personal dislikes and claiming they're facts. Further proving you (and one other) have no clue what you're even talking now about.

I also find it amusing the both of you have "87" in your user names and post in the same "I don't like it! My opinion is fact" manner.
We both have a 7 in our forum names that's a fact. But this thread has strayed far off the mark.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
We both have a 7 in our forum names that's a fact. But this thread has strayed far off the mark.

Then let's get back to the original point, I already made my case for the need of a new redesign for iOS, I've spammed Apple with feedback but obviously I'm just one person. So here's the link for the iPhone feedback page for anyone interested in trying to make iOS better than what it currently is (although I doubt i7guy and lagwagon will bother to use it).

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Then let's get back to the original point, I already made my case for the need of a new redesign for iOS, I've spammed Apple with feedback but obviously I'm just one person. So here's the link for the iPhone feedback page for anyone interested in trying to make iOS better than what it currently is (although I doubt i7guy and lagwagon will bother to use it).

Apple redesigns things when they feel it's time to do it.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

While every version of iOS is not the penultimate I like iOS 9 better than 6. I think those who passionately hate iOS 9 should spam Apple and make your case through feedback. I happen to like it. I am going to use that link for that purpose.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Yes, hypersensitive guy. I wasn't intending to be malicious in the post you're mad about so sorry for hurt feelings. Regardless, laughing about your entire post history griping about the flat design makes my never posting about it an example of hypocrisy how, exactly?
Nope, not at all. You bashing people because they argue to death for (A) while at the same time you argue to death for (B), that's what hypocrisy is about:Criticizing other persons sins while commiting them.

But don't even pay to that, you just checked my history because god knows how important am i to you or what's the ammount of free time you have in your hands, but you really need some AFK time

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Except you haven't made a case at all. The only thing you've done was state your dislikes so therefore there is a "need" for a "proper" redesign as if your dislikes or opinions are truths/facts the design is universally bad.

There is no "need" for a redesign because you don't like it. Only your "want".

If your spamming feedback is anything like your posts, then I highly doubt they would even take you seriously. I can picture how your feedback would look like.

"Dear Apple, your UI design sucks!

I don't like it, therefore it's universally terrible to all! Jony Ive is incompetent designing UI! Tim Cook lacks vision and is running the company into the ground! Even though I have little knowledge of what he does. But because I think so, it means it's true.

Make the UI look how I want it to look even though it's your product!

Signed
Biligerant Person"

Reactions: I7guy and adamhenry

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Except you haven't made a case at all. The only thing you've done was state your dislikes so therefore there is a "need" for a "proper" redesign as if your dislikes or opinions are truths/facts the design is universally bad.

There is no "need" for a redesign because you don't like it. Only your "want".

If your spamming feedback is anything like your posts, then I highly doubt they would even take you seriously. I can picture how your feedback would look like.

"Dear Apple, your UI design sucks!

I don't like it, therefore it's universally terrible to all! Jony Ive is incompetent designing UI! Tim Cook lacks vision and is running the company into the ground! Even though I have little knowledge of what he does. But because I think so, it means it's true.

Make the UI look how I want it to look even though it's your product!

Signed
Biligerant Person"

Here are some links to support my argument if you and i7guy actually choose to hear the other side instead of the "Apple can't do any wrong" mantra you guys like to promote.

Obviously these links are about the design of iOS 7 but they're still relevant as many of the design mistakes made then persist.

http://www.tjkelly.com/blog/ios-7-sucks/
http://www.netchimp.co.uk/webdesign...h-tips/ios-7-features-6-ways-apple-got-wrong/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/an-aesthetes-take-on-ios-7-ives-webified-interface-jumble/

And this: http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/09/jony-...ne-interface-creator-greg-christie-departing/

Apparently Ive's ego got too big for Greg Christie, who seemed to be the only person in the UI department to call Jony on his BS design and was ultimately forced out. So much for that "collaboration" statement Tim Cook made when he fired Scott Forstall, someone who actually worked very well with Christie. It honestly sounds more like Ive consolidating absolute control over the design.

And actually read this stuff guys, don't dismiss it because it rightfully criticizes Apple where they need to be.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Here are some links to support my argument if you and i7guy actually choose to hear the other side instead of the "Apple can't do any wrong" mantra you guys like to promote.

Obviously these links are about the design of iOS 7 but they're still relevant as many of the design mistakes made then persist.

http://www.tjkelly.com/blog/ios-7-sucks/
http://www.netchimp.co.uk/webdesign...h-tips/ios-7-features-6-ways-apple-got-wrong/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/an-aesthetes-take-on-ios-7-ives-webified-interface-jumble/

And this: http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/09/jony-...ne-interface-creator-greg-christie-departing/

Apparently Ive's ego got too big for Greg Christie, who seemed to be the only person in the UI department to call Jony on his BS design and was ultimately forced out. So much for that "collaboration" statement Tim Cook made when he fired Scott Forstall, someone who actually worked very well with Christie. It honestly sounds more like Ive consolidating absolute control over the design.

And actually read this stuff guys, don't dismiss it because it rightfully criticizes Apple where they need to be.

You spend a lot of energy trying to convince people that you are right. If we all agreed with you what would be the next step? Do you even have a goal or is it to bitch for 20 more pages?

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You spend a lot of energy trying to convince people that you are right. If we all agreed with you what would be the next step? Do you even have a goal or is it to bitch for 20 more pages?
Two of those articles are from a few years ago. Stuff happens in corporate america and you move on. There will always be varied opinions about apple, with some people clinging to yesteryear, and yesteryear is gone. If I don't like the products of a company I move on, but threads like this will not change the direction of apple.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
*Translation*

Well then why don't you post your "facts" to prove Tim Cook is a visionary huh?Thats the point of the post.He hasn't released a single game changer product as CEO.This is a FACT,not an opinion.Making a device thinner,bigger and faster is not called a vision
I meant the OP and the other guy. (87 and 87000)
That is an equally entertaining pair. Their comedy never ends.

Instead of personal digs,maybe you guys should post relevant stuff or may I suggest leave the thread altogether

Reactions: BillyMatt87

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Two of those articles are from a few years ago. Stuff happens in corporate america and you move on. There will always be varied opinions about apple, with some people clinging to yesteryear, and yesteryear is gone. If I don't like the products of a company I move on, but threads like this will not change the direction of apple.
These threads may not.BUt the sales definitely will as the negative growth slowly starts to have an effect on their sales turnover

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
These threads may not.BUt the sales definitely will as the negative growth slowly starts to have an effect on their sales turnover
Not with $150B of cash reserves it won't. You can bet the bank on it. Apple is not going to change things one iota as they have their worst record breaking fiscal quarter ever.
[doublepost=1456372433][/doublepost]
Well then why don't you post your "facts" to prove Tim Cook is a visionary huh?Thats the point of the post.He hasn't released a single game changer product as CEO.This is a FACT,not an opinion.Making a device thinner,bigger and faster is not called a vision

Instead of personal digs,maybe you guys should post relevant stuff or may I suggest leave the thread altogether
It's also a fact, the apple has had several record breaking quarters in row and is the most valuable company in the world. Seems like a visionary can do that. We can continue quoting "facts" until the cows come home. And by the way the 5s was a game changer. IPP is a game changer. AW is a game changer. Some of the rumored features on the upcoming iphone 7, like the camera, could be a game changer. And yes, making devices that people want to buy and set records buying requires vision. If it didn't any one of us could do the same thing. Right?

Last edited:

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Did you even read the links or submit feedback to Apple as I've done?

I think with enough feedback, Apple would at least have to acknowledge the concerns that I and many other have with iOS. Being a bystander to the issue is not helpful or productive. Things don't change or improve if there's no discussion or debate, otherwise Apple continues to get away with mediocrity.

Can we all at least agree that the current music app on iOS is an absolute disgrace?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did you even read the links or submit feedback to Apple as I've done?

I think with enough feedback, Apple would at least have to acknowledge the concerns that I and many other have with iOS. Being a bystander to the issue is not helpful or productive. Things don't change or improve if there's no discussion or debate, otherwise Apple continues to get away with mediocrity.

Can we all at least agree that the current music app on iOS is an absolute disgrace?
These kinds of things have been floating around since iOS 7 betas came out, with many many threads talking about it all and talking about submitting feedback and all that...as you can see, here we are almost 3 years later...talking about the same things.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
These kinds of things have been floating around since iOS 7 betas came out, with many many threads talking about it all and talking about submitting feedback and all that...as you can see, here we are almost 3 years later...talking about the same things.

Something needs to change then! The fact that the topic hasn't died after almost 3 years shows that the underlying issues need to be addressed and resolved by Apple.

Reactions: g-7

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Something needs to change then! The fact that the topic hasn't died after almost 3 years shows that the underlying issues need to be addressed and resolved by Apple.

Except it's not an issue that needs to be resolved.

Hypothetically what happens when Apple changes the UI in 2018 to take advantage of the reported switch to OLED and its everything you've ever dreamed of? A whole new set of people who hate it to no end and claim it to be the worst possible design ever will arise and take the place you currently stand now. That's what happens and will continue to happen. Nothing will ever change that.

It's a never ending thing because no matter what, there will always be a small percent who don't approve.

This is what you don't seem to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.