Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Any one else had problems with their Apple watch after updating to ios 11.2.5 ?
I've just wasted 2hrs with Apple support, telling me I have to erase all data from my watch in order to get it working again, and it's not backed up because it couldn't communicate! So will loose the last 3 days of activity data, exploring around Newcastle!

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I've just wasted 2hrs with Apple support, telling me I have to erase all data from my watch in order to get it working again, and it's not backed up because it couldn't communicate! So will loose the last 3 days of activity data, exploring around Newcastle!
Nope mine has been fine , it’s a series 2. Have you updated to the latest watchos or can’t you Communicste wth it at all?

Tbh wiping might be the only fix if powering off and on doesn’t sort.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can you tell us what the problem is? Kind of hard for to tell you if we are expericing the same thing without knowing what it is.

And no, activity data is on the phone, not the watch. Restoring your watch as new does not affect activity data. Only thing that is wiped are apps, settings and messages.

Reactions: GIZBUG

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
My series 2 started rebooting in a loop over and over again this morning after I took it off the charger. Re-paired it and working ok so far. Never have had that happen till 4.2.2. Series 2. iPhone 7 11.2.5

AMG1978

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I had a problem as soon as I went to 11.3 beta 1, I had a notification (!) in the Watch app. I'd go in there and it would immediately be at "Software Update" and then tell me that I was current. I hit Cancel in the top left and it says I can either (a) reset the watch or (b) continue update. Made no sense.
I finally opted to reset the watch, with it did. Then the watch app worked fine, i had to re-pair, restore my iCloud backup, etc. All back to normal, but this issue didnt exist until 11.3 beta.

Al2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Can you tell us what the problem is? Kind of hard for to tell you if we are expericing the same thing without knowing what it is.

And no, activity data is on the phone, not the watch. Restoring your watch as new does not affect activity data. Only thing that is wiped are apps, settings and messages.

I updated IOS on my phone and then tried to update the watch, this failed during checking for updates. I went away on business for 3 days and did a lot of walking, but noticed that whilst the activity updated on my watch, along with all the encouraging prompts and awards for meeting goals, nothing was updating on my phone. When I got home I opened a support chat with Apple, who told me to unpair the watch, leaving me with a phone that is unpaired and a watch thinking it's still paired and the only option was to reset and erase all data. Clearly the activity data is held on the watch and sent to the phone (if it can), as i had received achievement badges on the watch which are now lost along with my activity for the last 3 days.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I updated IOS on my phone and then tried to update the watch, this failed during checking for updates. I went away on business for 3 days and did a lot of walking, but noticed that whilst the activity updated on my watch, along with all the encouraging prompts and awards for meeting goals, nothing was updating on my phone. When I got home I opened a support chat with Apple, who told me to unpair the watch, leaving me with a phone that is unpaired and a watch thinking it's still paired and the only option was to reset and erase all data. Clearly the activity data is held on the watch and sent to the phone (if it can), as i had received achievement badges on the watch which are now lost along with my activity for the last 3 days.

It kind of works like what you are thinking, but not entirely. The watch holds the days data, but if you do not sync back with the phone within the day, the data will be lost. Essentially, you need to sync with the iPhone at least once a day. Restoring your watch, whether from a backup or as new would not have changed you losing the three days worth of data. It was too long of a gap between syncing. I've experienced this as well, and its also what Apple Support has told me. The watch will only temporary hold the activity information.

Dianne_ddo

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
[doublepost=1527345307][/doublepost]

So ive only had my watch for 3 yrs and its no longer working just because i didnt use it for 3-4 months???? i think apple should have a better warranty coverage. Went to apple store and was told that it‘ll either cost me $250 to get it fixed or buy the new apple watch... how crappy is that? I personally loved my apple watch but really??? 3 yrs later and apple wants me to spend atleast $250?? No thank you. Never buying apple watch again. Fitbit have a lifetime warranty and I’d rather spend money on that than another apple watch. #sorryapple #not sorry !!

Dianne_ddo

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
Are you having a battery problem with your watch? You didn’t say.

Also, Fitbit does not have a lifetime warranty. It’s one year, and it covers manufacturing defects, like most warranties. Old, worn out batteries aren’t included.

https://www.fitbit.com/legal/returns-and-warranty

I’ve never physically damaged my watch for the time I’ve had it.. i just didnt use it for 3-4 months and out of the blue it would not turn on anymore. I tried charging it but it just shows the apple logo and would turn back off. I’ve tried the resetting it but still no luck so i brought it to the apple store.

I was told that its an issue with the hardware i think? that i would have to pay $250 to get it fix or just buy the new one and itll be a better cost.

I think its a gimmick that apple has to force people to buy their new products..

And yes, fitbit does have lifetime. I have family friends who have had their fitbit replaced no questions asked and they have had it for years.

I did love my apple watch but spending a lot on it initially plus a couple of hundreds every 2-3 years to keep it working.. I’d rather just use fitbit.. cheap and it works.. plus a terrific warranty.. its not comparable to the features an apple watch have but it does enough that I’ll need it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.