Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Following the iOS 11.3.1 which caused several bugs on iPhone 7 - especially a non functional microphone - I was wondering how iOS 11.4 behaves on the iPhone 7

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I've got a 7 Plus, so my experience isn't really relevant to you. My battery under the beta setting dropped 2% after this update.

Things are running a tad slower but settling in and all aside, I'll see how it's doing tomorrow.

Today we're all updating, it'll take a little time for people to really notice any negatives aside from the already listed bugs.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I've got a 7 Plus, so my experience isn't really relevant to you. My battery under the beta setting dropped 2% after this update.

Things are running a tad slower but settling in and all aside, I'll see how it's doing tomorrow.

Today we're all updating, it'll take a little time for people to really notice any negatives aside from the already listed bugs.

As someone with an iPhone 7 Plus thats still on 10.3.2, I'd love to hear some more feedback from you as I'm debating upgrading to iOS 11.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Following the iOS 11.3.1 which caused several bugs on iPhone 7 - especially a non functional microphone - I was wondering how iOS 11.4 behaves on the iPhone 7
Was there something else iPhone 7 specific that popped up with iOS 11.3.1 in addition to the microphone issue that affected some?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
As someone with an iPhone 7 Plus thats still on 10.3.2, I'd love to hear some more feedback from you as I'm debating upgrading to iOS 11.
I'm still running my iPad Pro 9.7 32gb 2016 on 10.3.3. Honestly it runs more smoothly than my iPhone 7 Plus 256gb 2016 on all variants of iOS 11. I really found iOS 10 to be good. Now if there are new features you desire or certain apps aren't cooperating, you might have to upgrade. Honestly it's your choice, just remember you can't go back.

Reactions: nmeed

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I'd love to hear people's opinions on this as well. I'm on a 7 Plus, but differences shouldn't be too drastic from the Plus to the 7.

Currently on 10.3.3 and I'm itching to update. Some apps I want require it...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I'm still running my iPad Pro 9.7 32gb 2016 on 10.3.3. Honestly it runs more smoothly than my iPhone 7 Plus 256gb 2016 on all variants of iOS 11. I really found iOS 10 to be good. Now if there are new features you desire or certain apps aren't cooperating, you might have to upgrade. Honestly it's your choice, just remember you can't go back.
Initial versions are SO good. I was running iOS 10.2 on a 7+, it breezed through everything, other than a hardware issue I've yet to fix, hence why I returned... To a 6s on iOS 9. Comparable to the 7+ on iOS 10. I'm typing on a 9.7 iPad Pro on iOS 9.3.4. It's really fast, too.
There's no competition. Initial versions fly.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Initial versions are SO good. I was running iOS 10.2 on a 7+, it breezed through everything, other than a hardware issue I've yet to fix, hence why I returned... To a 6s on iOS 9. Comparable to the 7+ on iOS 10. I'm typing on a 9.7 iPad Pro on iOS 9.3.4. It's really fast, too.
There's no competition. Initial versions fly.
My husband is still on iOS 9.3.x. His phone still works like the day we bought it. I updated my 5c to the newest before its EOL and it's practically dead in the water.

He's got a 6s with a battery recall but it hasn't given him much trouble so I'm leaving it alone.

I'm tempted to get it a new battery. See if that even does anything. I doubt it but it needs one anyhow.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
My husband is still on iOS 9.3.x. His phone still works like the day we bought it. I updated my 5c to the newest before its EOL and it's practically dead in the water.

He's got a 6s with a battery recall but it hasn't given him much trouble so I'm leaving it alone.

I'm tempted to get it a new battery. See if that even does anything. I doubt it but it needs one anyhow.
Yeah I know about the 5c. I use one on iOS 9.3.2 (as the phone I take when I'm out... Theft forces me to use it) that's 8GB capacity and has no mobile internet, just a little prepaid plan. So I just take it to have communication. And... It isn't the fastest. Lags quite a bit. It's usable, but I'm used to smoothness as I keep everything in their initial versions, so I really notice the lag. And, I got the phone second-hand. If it were mine since the beginning, it would be on iOS 7.
If your husband's phone is working just fine, I wouldn't touch it. Also, I don't know if Apple updates the phone when swapping the battery. My 6s's battery is flawless (96% health in 228 cycles) but I'm fearing Apple will update it or something if I replace the battery eventually.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah I know about the 5c. I use one on iOS 9.3.2 (as the phone I take when I'm out... Theft forces me to use it) that's 8GB capacity and has no mobile internet, just a little prepaid plan. So I just take it to have communication. And... It isn't the fastest. Lags quite a bit. It's usable, but I'm used to smoothness as I keep everything in their initial versions, so I really notice the lag. And, I got the phone second-hand. If it were mine since the beginning, it would be on iOS 7.
If your husband's phone is working just fine, I wouldn't touch it. Also, I don't know if Apple updates the phone when swapping the battery. My 6s's battery is flawless (96% health in 228 cycles) but I'm fearing Apple will update it or something if I replace the battery eventually.
From every account I've read about, they do update the software. I could be wrong but I think I read a thread where a guy took it to a third party to avoid this. It's been a while.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
From every account I've read about, they do update the software. I could be wrong but I think I read a thread where a guy took it to a third party to avoid this. It's been a while.
Even if you explicitly request them not to? That is awful.

Personally and I am not alone, I think iOS 11 is the worst update in Apple's history. I wish I stayed on 10.3.2
[doublepost=1527635326][/doublepost]

My rule of thumb is never update to more than 2 versions higher that came with the initial release of the device.
[doublepost=1527635403][/doublepost]
I'd love to hear people's opinions on this as well. I'm on a 7 Plus, but differences shouldn't be too drastic from the Plus to the 7.

Currently on 10.3.3 and I'm itching to update. Some apps I want require it...
stay with ios 10 is my advice.

Reactions: viperGTS and nmeed

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Personally and I am not alone, I think iOS 11 is the worst update in Apple's history. I wish I stayed on 10.3.2
[doublepost=1527635326][/doublepost]
My rule of thumb is never update to more than 2 versions higher that came with the initial release of the device.
[doublepost=1527635403][/doublepost]
stay with ios 10 is my advice.

This is all well and good but pretty useless advice when one has other Apple kit. For example, updating the Apple Watch to 4.3 is a no-no under iOS 10.x (at least that's my presumption since I can't even do that with 11.2.5!). When I got High Sierra on my MacBook I had to also have the latest WatchOS on my watches.

So, in isolation fine - nice idea if you can do it, in reality, when one has the ecosystem, one finds oneself hamstrung...

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
This is all well and good but pretty useless advice when one has other Apple kit. For example, updating the Apple Watch to 4.3 is a no-no under iOS 10.x (at least that's my presumption since I can't even do that with 11.2.5!). When I got High Sierra on my MacBook I had to also have the latest WatchOS on my watches.

So, in isolation fine - nice idea if you can do it, in reality, when one has the ecosystem, one finds oneself hamstrung...
Which is why if they replace my husbands Apple watch since its got the battery swelling, he likely will not be able to use it. So we might just sell it or something.

Reactions: TiggrToo

Marty!

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012

I had the $29 battery replacement done on my iPhone 6 last month at the Apple store...I didn't mention anything about the OS (9.3.2) and they didn't touch it, just replaced the battery.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Yeah I know about the 5c. I use one on iOS 9.3.2 (as the phone I take when I'm out... Theft forces me to use it) that's 8GB capacity and has no mobile internet, just a little prepaid plan. So I just take it to have communication. And... It isn't the fastest. Lags quite a bit.

I can totally relate. iOS 10.3.3 ruined my iPhone 5. Can barely do anything on it. I've restored it, reset it, only installed a few apps. It's slow and laggy. Unfortunately there's no way to roll it back to iOS 9 where it worked better.

It's used as a music device but even struggled with the music app. Can't always select a song, but even when it's selected, it takes awhile to start playing.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I had the $29 battery replacement done on my iPhone 6 last month at the Apple store...I didn't mention anything about the OS (9.3.2) and they didn't touch it, just replaced the battery.
If only there was a way to make sure they don't do it, it's still a chance though. That's why my husband is so stubborn over it.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I can totally relate. iOS 10.3.3 ruined my iPhone 5. Can barely do anything on it. I've restored it, reset it, only installed a few apps. It's slow and laggy. Unfortunately there's no way to roll it back to iOS 9 where it worked better.

It's used as a music device but even struggled with the music app. Can't always select a song, but even when it's selected, it takes awhile to start playing.
I mean, it works on iOS 9, but it is not fast. Definitely not fast. As I said, it wasn't up to me, because I didn't update it. I guess this confirms what I have always said. I'm even more convinced about it: don't update, not even once, and devices will last a really long time working flawlessly. You can use older devices that almost match the speed of the newer ones.
I have a few examples of flawless: iPod Touch 5G, iOS 6. iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6s; iOS 9, another 6s that came on iOS 10, it's flawless, too. I have updated - or have been updated by family members, and they aren't happy: iPhone 5s, iOS 11, a lot of complaints; iPad 4, iOS 7 (my fault. I learned after this one); iPod Touch 5G, iOS 9 (isn't used because it is "too slow". Mine on iOS 6 blows it out of the water).
I had a family member who always argued with me: Why don't you update, you are missing out, apps, and that argument we all know about. A month ago, he told me: "You were right". About what?, I said. "About iOS updates". Why? "Because I updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 11, and the battery doesn't last, it freezes all the time, struggles to do even the most basic of tasks". I, with a smile on my face: "I told you. One, two, three, a million times. Now you can see why."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.