Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
This is all well and good but pretty useless advice when one has other Apple kit. For example, updating the Apple Watch to 4.3 is a no-no under iOS 10.x (at least that's my presumption since I can't even do that with 11.2.5!). When I got High Sierra on my MacBook I had to also have the latest WatchOS on my watches.

So, in isolation fine - nice idea if you can do it, in reality, when one has the ecosystem, one finds oneself hamstrung...
Well, true...sheeple are everywhere. I'm not one of them. ;)

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I can finally say that this seems to be the best version of ios 11 on my iPhone 7. The animations are fast. No Stuttering. No freezing. No app crashes. Kindly obvious bugs. Took them a year to get it right.I think I will stay on this till ios 12 reaches the X.3 version.
Overall very happy with 11.4 on my iPhone 7

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
iPhone 7 w/ 256 GB. Not the plus version.

No problems with iOS 11.4 on my phone.

Everything seems smooth and perfect. Battery life unchanged. And is good enough for heavy use all day without recharging.

For reference, my typical day is 8 am to 4 am the next day. I recharge the phone while I sleep.

Reactions: nmeed

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
iPhone 7 w/ 256 GB. Not the plus version.

No problems with iOS 11.4 on my phone.

Everything seems smooth and perfect. Battery life unchanged. And is good enough for heavy use all day without recharging.

For reference, my typical day is 8 am to 4 am the next day. I recharge the phone while I sleep.

Is this in comparison to 10.3 or previous version of 11?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I updated my iPhone 7 from 10.3 to 11.1 and was happy. 11.4 has not been great though. A lot more lag and stutter than prior versions of 11. Not thrilled...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I updated my iPhone 7 from 10.3 to 11.1 and was happy. 11.4 has not been great though. A lot more lag and stutter than prior versions of 11. Not thrilled...

Thats interesting

im on 11.1 on my iOS 11 devices, due to jailbreak but...

have you tried a restore?

that sucks

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
From every account I've read about, they do update the software. I could be wrong but I think I read a thread where a guy took it to a third party to avoid this. It's been a while.

I replaced the battery on a 6 a couple of months ago, I asked them if they could leave the 10.3.3 that was on it and they said yes. You have to sign an acknowledgement that if they do have to change it that you consent.

this at an Apple store.

I have two 6s Plus's that I'm going to change the batteries sometime right before the next phone are announced to avoid the crowds. These are also on 10.3.3 where I want them to stay.

My 7 Plus I have on 11.1 and am debating going 11.4 as I will probably not take it to 12.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Is this in comparison to 10.3 or previous version of 11?

To be honest, I’ve never had any problems with any iOS updates. And none have improved or worsened my battery life.

This is from the perspective of having the very first iPhone, then the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 7 that I replaced my 5 with in January.

But comparing to iOS 11.x and 11.3.1 to iOS 4, I’ve observed no difference. I didn’t find any noticeable difference between 10.x and 11 either (aside from 32-BIT apps that stopped working).

Reactions: nmeed

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
On my 7+, I held back going from 10.3 to IOS 11 until yesterday. I thought by 11.4 most (all) glitches should be gone and frankly IOS 10.3 wasn't all that great either. And I have to say no performance issue at all. I am not yet 100% convinced about the new design (don't know what purpose it serves to remove the app names in the bottom app line??!) but in terms of performance/battery life I don't see a difference.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
My 7+ keeps turning off the screen (as if I was on the phone holding it to my ear) no matter what app I’m using if the sensor in the earpiece detects a change in lighting. Super annoying.

The keyboard froze today in the middle of sending a text. Hit the home button and it responded with a tap, but took about 5 seconds before going to the home screen. Went back to messages and my entire draft message was gone.

iOS 11 continues to be a turd.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
well, I'm obviously receiving mitigated answers !!! Things clearly are not black or white here !
From what I understood at WWDC iOS 12 should run smoother than iOS 11.x on iPhone 7. In theory.
Maybe i'll just wait for that release in September then

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
well, I'm obviously receiving mitigated answers !!! Things clearly are not black or white here !
From what I understood at WWDC iOS 12 should run smoother than iOS 11.x on iPhone 7. In theory.
Maybe i'll just wait for that release in September then
It's never black and white.... honestly I have been holding back until now and I don't regret the update to IOS 11. I didn't want to wait until IOS 12 in case it sucks and by then 11 won't be signed anymore...

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
So I took the plunge and got 11.4 on both my phone, and the wife's.

So far, so good. Battery life seems to be just a smidgen better on the whole, with no negatives yet to report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.