Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imoss92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Hey all - I am having a strange issue on iOS 11 regarding the dock and what I presume to be the handoff feature. I purchased a new 10.5” iPad Pro today and immediately installed iOS 11 on it. It appears the dock on my iPad is activating the handoff feature randomly and shows a space for an app but it is blank (see attached screenshot).

I have toggled the handoff feature on and off multiple times (across all my iOS devices), restarted the iPad multiple times, hard reset etc., but nothing seems to alleviate the issue. Does anyone know why the iPad is doing this or has a fix? It’s so frustrating seeing the dock expand to only show an empty space for what should be an app icon. Additionally, I have the show suggested and recents apps feature turned off for the dock (yet when it is on, it works normally but has that extra blank space for an app still!). Any help or recommendations would be great for this extremely annoying issue! Thanks :)

IMG_58EF61F084AD-1.jpeg

IMG_93C36FD229DE-1.jpeg

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've had this problem a couple of times now. I don't know how to reproduce it, but it always seems to go away on its own, only to come back a few weeks later. It's entirely random.

It annoys me because the blank space comes and goes, making me "miss" when I go to tap on an icon in the dock.

imoss92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
I've had this problem a couple of times now. I don't know how to reproduce it, but it always seems to go away on its own, only to come back a few weeks later. It's entirely random.

It annoys me because the blank space comes and goes, making me "miss" when I go to tap on an icon in the dock.

It's really frustrating and nothing seems to fix it unfortunately. Like you said, the issue comes and goes but its more frequent like every couple of minutes for me! Aghh

Stq

macrumors member
May 1, 2016
I am also having this issue on my iPad. Disabling Siri search suggestion can remove this empty space.

I found it only happening when I was at certain places so I suspected that it was related to location based app suggestion. But I always had location based suggestion turned off so I have no idea what's happening here.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I am also having this issue on my iPad. Disabling Siri search suggestion can remove this empty space.

I found it only happening when I was at certain places so I suspected that it was related to location based app suggestion. But I always had location based suggestion turned off so I have no idea what's happening here.

Going off of what you said about locations, I went to Settings > Privacy >Location Services > Significant Location and toggled it off and on. It seems to have corrected the issue, although I’m not sure whether this a permanent fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.