Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
Hi,

My wife has an older iPhone 6 (64Gb Space Grey). I was wanted to hear about performance running iOS 11 before I updated it for her.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Hi,

My wife has an older iPhone 6 (64Gb Space Grey). I was wanted to hear about performance running iOS 11 before I updated it for her.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I was wondering the same as I have exactly the same phone. I have had this phone since 18 February, 2015, the longest I have ever owned the same phone lol

I used to replace my phones every 12 months or so, but given how expensive these phones have become, and that i'm bored with them now, I'm not bothered about replacing it anytime soon. For now, I'm leaving mine running iOS 10! If you do update it's firmware, let us know. :)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Works perfectly fine for me. I feel like the battery life may have taken a bit of a hit though, but performance seems just as fast as ever.

enfield

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 11.0.1 & my phone has slowed down compared to 10.3.3 - I still recommend the update for security because I do use banking apps on my phone.

I turned the motion off & that improved the speed. The phone is fully functional & works well. There is a 2-3 second lag when opening apps like the Starbucks app.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Runs terrible on mine. Freezes, gets stuck in landscape, safari freezes, after pressing the home button to unlock there is a delay before the icons appear. Also, battery life seems worse on iOS 11.

Edit: putting my tin foil hat on here but I’ve always personally thought Apple does this on purpose to older iPhones once a major launch comes out.

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Most apps for me take 6-7 seconds to open, pretty bad. I even wiped the phone, clean installed and restored. Still 6-7 seconds. No battery drain issues, but GOD, the app boot times are killing me. App -> home screen -> same app is instantaneous, but use a different app for a while and back to original app, you guessed it, 6-7 seconds. Nov 3rd can't get here soon enough. (I want to assume my 3am efforts will pay off with a fast iPhone X)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Most apps for me take 6-7 seconds to open, pretty bad. I even wiped the phone, clean installed and restored. Still 6-7 seconds. No battery drain issues, but GOD, the app boot times are killing me. App -> home screen -> same app is instantaneous, but use a different app for a while and back to original app, you guessed it, 6-7 seconds. Nov 3rd can't get here soon enough. (I want to assume my 3am efforts will pay off with a fast iPhone X)

That’s crazy! I’ve never seen any iPhone perform so slowly.

As I said above, my 6 is functioning as well as ever on iOS 11.01, other than battery life seeming to have diminished somewhat.

FPP777

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
That’s crazy! I’ve never seen any iPhone perform so slowly.

As I said above, my 6 is functioning as well as ever on iOS 11.01, other than battery life seeming to have diminished somewhat.

I am seeing the same thing on my 6. Wish I left it alone. Come on X.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don’t know why, but I’ve never had problems running the latest software on any of my devices.

I assume that everyone is remembering to keep their apps up to date as well? During the first few days after I upgraded to 11, I swear every app on my phone and iPad must have updated at least twice to ensure compatibility and smooth performance.

Reactions: ACST

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I found for me with iOS 11 on my 6 is that is functionally equivalent to iOS 10. Runs the same. Not great nor bad.

Reactions: ACST

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Thanks for your input folks. Will keep my iPhone 6 on iOS 10! My battery performance isn't the best as it is, need a new battery I'm sure.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Works perfectly fine for me, though my battery for some reason is still in pristine condition. But either way not noticing any battery life difference with before.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Just to add another: I would hold off unless you have a good reason to upgrade. I have the same iPhone 6 64GB and upgraded to iOS 11 because I wanted watchOS 4 on my Apple Watch.

My iPhone 6 was already a bit sluggish on iOS 10. It could take the camera 5 seconds or more to be ready to take a photo, the phone would sometimes freeze for a second when switching apps or launching apps (especially those that use the camera. Battery life was already not the best, but I could usually make it through the day unless I used the phone a lot. I usually top off the charge while I'm at work.

iOS 11 seems to have exacerbated the existing issues a bit, but it could be my imagination. It seems like the phone freezes for a second more frequently, and some apps take longer to refresh than before. It's most frustrating when you are in a situation when you need your iPhone to work quickly: Trying to take a photo, a quick calendar or weather check, send a quick email, etc. I can check my calendar or the weather much faster on my Apple Watch, but i open the calendar app when I want to view more calendar details and entries into the future.

I will be upgrading to the X (or to the 8+, depending on X reviews). I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, and in the past I've had old iPhones perform better with new operating systems. It was the new/updated apps designed for faster hardware that would make my previous iPhones feel slow. This time it seems to be the OS.

By contrast, my Series 0 Apple Watch Sport runs watch OS 4 just fine. Batter performance is even improved over watchOS 3.

Sean

Reactions: yanki01

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Thanks Sean. Having just checked my battery stats, my design capacity is down to 72% when fully charged. I just ordered a replacement battery for my iPhone 6 from iFixit. Try and get another year or two out of this phone lol

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 11.0.1 & my phone has slowed down compared to 10.3.3 - I still recommend the update for security because I do use banking apps on my phone.

I turned the motion off & that improved the speed. The phone is fully functional & works well. There is a 2-3 second lag when opening apps like the Starbucks app.

Thanks for the tip. I've read that there are two accessibility settings that are supposed to improve performance:
  • Enable Reduced Motion (I left Auto-Play message effects enabled)
  • Enabled Reduce Transparency (under the Increase Contrast setting)
It does seem like browsing the interface is snappier. You can also do other things like disabling background app refresh. I already disable background refresh for apps that seem to abuse the privilege by consuming a lot of battery and data. I wouldn't want to disable it for apps I rely on throughout the day, or my Apple Watch Series 0 will not be up to date.

Sean

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks Sean. Having just checked my battery stats, my design capacity is down to 72% when fully charged. I just ordered a replacement battery for my iPhone 6 from iFixit. Try and get another year or two out of this phone lol

It should do just fine as long as you are patient with the occasional pause and sluggish response. Most of the time, and for most of the things I use my iPhone for, it works just fine. My wife doesn't use her iPhone nearly as much as I use mine. She will probably stick with the 6 for the foreseeable future. The only thing that frustrates her is the time it takes for the camera to be ready. We have small children and sometimes you want to capture a moment quickly. I have dedicated cameras for that, but sometimes the iPhone is the only camera I have with me. That's really the main reason I want to upgrade to an 8+ or an X. I really want the better/more responsive camera and dual lenses. If I wasn't interested in the camera upgrade, I'd probably stick with my 6 and upgrade my Series 0 Apple Watch :)

Sean

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
Every iOS version seems to make older devices a little bit slower but it's as usable as it was with iOS 10. I'm satisfied with performance on my iPhone 6+, and my wife hasn't complained at all with her iPhone 6.

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I installed the tvios beta profile on my wife and my moms iPhone 6 64GB that's on 10.3.3 to prevent it to updating to iOS 11. It's just too slow.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Terrible.

My brother has an iPhone 6 and both battery drain and performance are not good. Unlike me, he doesn't care much about his phone, the speed, or the features, and even he's been bitching non-stop about it.

Stay on 10.3.3.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.