Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
iOS 11 on iPhone 6 is like running an iPhone 4S on iOS 9 or iPhone 5 iOS 10 on it's LAST OS VERSION. It's very Sluggish, smoother animations, but app loading is disaster. iOS 11 is only for iPhone 7 and newer recommended.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
iOS 11 on iPhone 6 is like running an iPhone 4S on iOS 9 or iPhone 5 iOS 10 on it's LAST OS VERSION. It's very Sluggish, smoother animations, but app loading is disaster. iOS 11 is only for iPhone 7 and newer recommended.

Enabling reduced motion and reduce transparency did improve ios11 slightly on my iPhone 6, but it’s still slow. iOS9 was the last time it felt snappy. I can tolerate it, but it frustrates me enough that I look forward to upgrading to a new model... probably the X.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I did a clean reinstall of firmware, iOS and apps on my 6. Didn’t take long and made a big difference, quite usable now. I had only been upgrading for years.

Reactions: BrightCanon

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
Does anyone have any updates on their experience with more recent versions of iOS11 on the iPhone 6?

Have the newer versions fixed the slowdown? Has a restore install made the problem go away?

I welcome your input. Wife's phone is still on 10.3.3
Thanks.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Does anyone have any updates on their experience with more recent versions of iOS11 on the iPhone 6?

Have the newer versions fixed the slowdown? Has a restore install made the problem go away?

I welcome your input. Wife's phone is still on 10.3.3
Thanks.
Honestly, you're gonna get a hodge podge of answers. A lot of it is going to depend on whether someone's phone was throttled or not.

My iPhone 6 was practically unusable when I updated to 11. The various incremental updates did help a little, but ultimately the replacement battery made it usable.

My wife's iPhone 6 has a decent battery and probably wasn't throttled and runs fine. Slower than 10, but pretty good.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Runs terrible on mine. Freezes, gets stuck in landscape, safari freezes, after pressing the home button to unlock there is a delay before the icons appear. Also, battery life seems worse on iOS 11.

Edit: putting my tin foil hat on here but I’ve always personally thought Apple does this on purpose to older iPhones once a major launch comes out.

sounds like the same complaints I had with my launch day 6 on iOS 8 haha :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.