Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battery Life after upgrading to iOS 12.2

• Total voters

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
There is definitely something suspect going on. I will do a more scientific test this weekend but I have experienced the following behavior. Multiple devices in the family, and also have access to multiple brands of chargers. I did not record times and numbers at first obviously as I wasn’t expecting an issue, but I noticed our 10.5” iPad Pro charging unusually slow on an apple usb c to lighting connected to an anker atom pd1 30w charger.

Pulled out the kill-a-watt and put it in the wall with the setup listed above with the iPad at 78 percent battery. Gave it about 20 seconds to settle in and it was only charging at 8 watts. Replaced the anker power delivery charger with an apple 29 watt MacBook charger and charging settled at 13.5 watts. Switched between chargers and observed the same rates, as well as after a hard reset.

Used my 11” iPad Pro which had battery at 33 percent with an anker usb c data and charging cable, and switched between Apple and anker chargers mentioned above. Apple one pulled 29 watts and anker pulled 30.2 watts.

Haven’t tested my X or sisters XR with either chargers yet but plan to. The way I actually noticed the anker charger working more slowly was it did not warm up like it usually does. Is it possible apple whether intentionally or not borked charging with non apple fast chargers?
Never thought about that, but I could definitely see how they could do that: especially with the suspected release of AirPower in the upcoming weeks. Regardless, it’s pretty upsetting. You’d think that a gigantic tech company such as Apple would have gotten this right by now. Do you think there is any chance of a bug fix before 12.3?

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
As per the subject line, iOS 12.2 is a compete failure on the iPhone 6s, my battery is literally draining by a few percent simply typing this post.

The previous versions of ios 12 were bad, but I've never experienced battery drain like this.

Is this a ploy by Apple to destroy your battery in order to purchase a new phone.

Reactions: theapplehead

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
It is really hard to say what is going on here since I've only just noticed this really and haven't had time to thoroughly test. I am going to try tonight to get a better idea for what is going on by testing multiple devices with different combinations of equipment and ensuring the battery is around 50% where each device should accept the most wattage in its charging profile.

I am most curious if this it the case for phones as well. If I can, I will try to roll back some devices to 12.1.4 and test again....How long do people think Apple will keep signing 12.1.4?

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Is this a ploy by Apple to destroy your battery in order to purchase a new phone.
No, it isn’t.

Conspiracies are exciting, but they rarely exist.

You said that battery life has been bad on iOS 12.

How old is your battery?

I got a new battery for my 6s (authorised service) few months ago and battery life is fine on iOS 12. Too little experience to say anything about 12.2 though.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
6S on 12.2 that needs the battery changing and mine isnt brilliant but its not that bad so its not a case that its a complete fail for all 6S phones.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Battery sucks on 12.2 and WatchOS5.2 for me. Phone was at 40% yesterday afternoon and hardly used it.

Watch was at 86% when I woke up this morning, after being charged to 100% before bed, with airplane mode on overnight. (I wear mine at night to use AutoSleep.)

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
No, it isn’t.

How old is your battery?

I got a new battery for my 6s (authorised service) few months ago and battery life is fine on iOS 12. Too little experience to say anything about 12.2 though.

Im at 94%. Battery was replaced under replacement program

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
It is really hard to say what is going on here since I've only just noticed this really and haven't had time to thoroughly test. I am going to try tonight to get a better idea for what is going on by testing multiple devices with different combinations of equipment and ensuring the battery is around 50% where each device should accept the most wattage in its charging profile.

I am most curious if this it the case for phones as well. If I can, I will try to roll back some devices to 12.1.4 and test again....How long do people think Apple will keep signing 12.1.4?
It's hard to say how much longer Apple will continue singing 12.1.4. Maybe till Monday if I had to guess since that was the release of 12.2. But if you are at all considering rolling back to 12.1.4, I'd just go ahead and do it earlier rather than later because you can always re-upgrade if you change your mind.
[doublepost=1553889279][/doublepost]
No, it isn’t.

How old is your battery?

I bought my iPhone 8 brand new in September and have used it only lightly since then. 12.2 did things to my battery that no previous iOS had ever done. My percentage dropped rapidly regardless of what I did on my phone. Even if I was just letting it stay on the home screen, I was able to see it lose a percent before the screen timed out and went off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's hard to say how much longer Apple will continue singing 12.1.4. Maybe till Monday if I had to guess since that was the release of 12.2. But if you are at all considering rolling back to 12.1.4, I'd just go ahead and do it earlier rather than later because you can always re-upgrade if you change your mind.
[doublepost=1553889279][/doublepost]
I bought my iPhone 8 brand new in September and have used it only lightly since then. 12.2 did things to my battery that no previous iOS had ever done. My percentage dropped rapidly regardless of what I did on my phone. Even if I was just letting it stay on the home screen, I was able to see it lose a percent before the screen timed out and went off.
Usually the previous version stays signed for longer than just a few days or a week. That said, no one really ever knows.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
How did you do it after downloading the ipsw file? Did you hold Alt while clicking “Check for updates” or did you hold it while clicking “restore”?
It was from PC, I held Shift while clicking check for update.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Pretty bad battery drain on my SE - 10% drop within 5 to 10 minutes, faster if actually using the phone.
Two bar drop in signal as well. Downgraded back to 12.1.4 and all back to normal.

Reactions: jrdatrackstar1223

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
It’s interesting so many different reports. It makes me really want to try to figure this out. Going to be doing a combo of fresh installs, restore with/without backup, etc to figure out what’s up. I have definitely narrowed it to iCloud, just can’t figure out WHAT in iCloud is doing it...

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Battery sucks on 12.2 and WatchOS5.2 for me. Phone was at 40% yesterday afternoon and hardly used it.

Watch was at 86% when I woke up this morning, after being charged to 100% before bed, with airplane mode on overnight. (I wear mine at night to use AutoSleep.)

Which, as with my experience, AutoSleep doesn’t affect battery life much at all.

Reactions: CMoore515

jfim88

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Spain
I have good battery life but tonight drained 6% in 7 hours. WiFi connected with strength signal.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Do you mean it's drop 1% per min of non use, or what are you doing? I find the most drain happens while I use Safari.

1% per minute off of the charger; use or idle. It's unbelievable how bad it is. I'm just going to wipe and DFU back to 12.1.4 while I have the chance. I'll roll the dice on 12.2.1 if reports are OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.