Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
But Intel doesn‘t supply the wifi chip?

And we‘re definitely getting Intel LTE modems this year (they usually need stuff like modems a year in advance, no way they manage to squeeze qualcomm modems in for this years devices).

lol I wish he had proof. Doesn’t explain why WiFi sucks in this year phones.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Something new: I have an XSMax, using Apple’s battery case and Belkin’s wireless setup. After updating to b4, my phone kept “disconnecting/reconnecting” to the wireless charger. It was annoying as it makes that little sound and lights up a bit while I was trying to sleep. Haven’t had this issue before yesterday.

Been having that issue since 12 b1 so much that I stopped using the tabletop wireless chargers.

Odd thing is that I have a phone mount in my car that is wireless and it doesn’t do it there. ‍♂️

Reactions: decypher44

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta say, I really love the new TV app. Especially with the built in channels, it’s so seamless. Caught up on Barry, all offline with the latest episodes, while riding the NYC subway. And the TV OS app is excellent as well, with some solid recommendations as well. Between that and the new recommendations engine in Apple Music, I’m happy apple sorted out the ability to surface new content to users.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
But Intel doesn‘t supply the wifi chip?

And we‘re definitely getting Intel LTE modems this year (they usually need stuff like modems a year in advance, no way they manage to squeeze qualcomm modems in for this years devices).
Great! Now I can 100% say for certain that I won't be upgrading this year!

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
This update KILLED my iPhone Xs Max Cellular connection. Any idea of how to downgrade? I already backed-up the most crucial stuff I could off my iPhone. Thanks

Thank you!!! Mine too! My LTE service is so bad in places where it used to be a lot better. I've noticed it since this beta (or maybe the one before too). Battery life is also substantially worse and charging via wireless and USB (using USB connection, not plug) seems to not charge (at least it is VERY slow).

Definitely could be something else on my phone but noticed it with the latest beta update...

Reactions: stringbeanie

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
lol I wish he had proof. Doesn’t explain why WiFi sucks in this year phones.

Wifi sucks also on the 2018 IPP as well. Both the 11" and the 12.9" models. So they are using the same Broadcom/Intel/Garbage Bag (whatever you want to call it) to run the Wifi. It downright sucks on this beta. it wasn't this bad before.

Reactions: decypher44

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Wifi sucks also on the 2018 IPP as well. Both the 11" and the 12.9" models. So they are using the same Broadcom/Intel/Garbage Bag (whatever you want to call it) to run the Wifi. It downright sucks on this beta. it wasn't this bad before.

For balance, WiFi is absolutely fine on my IPP 2018.

Reactions: sergekills

garetc

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
Scranton, PA
I’d held off installing this on my iPhone but I finally installed it on my main device and it’s pretty solid. Battery at 33% after a day of hiding around the Isle of Wight, UK, with patchy reception and running dual sim (EE/Vodafone).

Phone performance seems good, just as snappy as it was if not a little better.

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
In the iPhone tear down Broadcom is confirmed for WiFi:

https://www.techinsights.com/blog/apple-iphone-xs-max-teardown

Got it. I forgot. It’s the intel antenna design that’s causing some issues if I remember correctly from a article I read.

Exactly the same feeling. It was better two betas ago. Now I get drops again in the same area I didn’t.

So far my iPad Pro is ok with WiFi on 12.2.

Wi-Fi and LTE connectivity are perfect on y iPhone XS in Russia. Performs better than X.

I’ve been hearing that too. It’s a mix bad on T-Mobile in NYC. I came from the 8 Plus which was a bit better. Apple improved or fix WiFi in 12.2 for me. But now it’s dropping again in areas with medium signal strength.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Got it. I forgot. It’s the intel antenna design that’s causing some issues if I remember correctly from a article I read.

Not sure if it an "Intel" antenna design per se ... but as cell phones gain 2x2 MIMO for WiFi and 4x4 MIMO for Cellular ... they have to start packing in more antennas. However, the size of the cell phone has not really changed (if not smaller); thus they have to pack more antennas in the same or less space and hence it probably means the antennas are getting smaller. It is a bit of a double edged sword. More antennas means faster connections and speeds, but smaller antennas has the reverse effect at edge scenarios - to get the balance can be tricky with some give and take. This is maybe why iPads seem to have less issues as they are larger and have more room to play with. I think all cell phone manufacturers are experiencing this challenge as the antenna designs are getting more and more complex.

Oh throw Bluetooth and NFC in there too ... potentially even more. They may be able to double purpose some antennas ... but again this further demonstrates the complexity of antenna designs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ram130

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Not sure if it an "Intel" antenna design per se ... but as cell phones gain 2x2 MIMO for WiFi and 4x4 MIMO for Cellular ... they have to start packing in more antennas. However, the size of the cell phone has not really changed (if not smaller); thus they have to pack more antennas in the same or less space and hence it probably means the antennas are getting smaller. It is a bit of a double edged sword. More antennas means faster connections and speeds, but smaller antennas has the reverse effect at edge scenarios - to get the balance can be tricky with some give and take. This is maybe why iPads seem to have less issues as they are larger and have more room to play with. I think all cell phone manufacturers are experiencing this challenge as the antenna designs are getting more and more complex.

Oh throw Bluetooth and NFC in there too ... potentially even more. They may be able to double purpose some antennas ... but again this further demonstrates the complexity of antenna designs.

Bold emphasis is mine ... can you expand on this? I look at my 8+, and X and an XS Max and I'm not seeing smaller. I'm seeing bigger.

Reactions: ram130

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
All right, I think I might have faced an issue with the network, whether it is WiFi or Cellular. Totally stalled network, no download happening, not able to watch any video. Browsing somehow works very slowly, VoLTE working.

Reset Network Settings and so far everything seems to work super fast. iPhone 8, Qualcomm.

Last edited:

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
Found a bug. Lock screen controls tends to stop updating the current playback state until you enter the app you’re playing music or audio from.

For example, I was listening Spotify for a hour. Got home and took my AirPods out. Music paused. Looked on my phone and the lockscreen showed it as still playing. Opened Spotify and it showed the current correct state and now the lock screen does as well. I’ve seen this with the Pocket app as well when it’s reading articles to me. It’s a lot worse.

0de73c9a9cf50702793b41424fff09a6.jpg
757bb1c76a3ccdeafdb9ac64070b9734.jpg

Thanks. I completely agree about this.

Intel doesn't design the antenna. Apple has their own antenna team.

Got it. Interesting then. I wonder what changed to cause reception to be worse for some and better for others. And yet recent updates made it a more balanced.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Found a bug. Lock screen controls tends to stop updating the current playback state until you enter the app you’re playing music or audio from.

For example, I was listening Spotify for a hour. Got home and took my AirPods out. Music paused. Looked on my phone and the lockscreen showed it as still playing. Opened Spotify and it showed the current correct state and now the lock screen does as well. I’ve seen this with the Pocket app as well when it’s reading articles to me. It’s a lot worse.

0de73c9a9cf50702793b41424fff09a6.jpg
757bb1c76a3ccdeafdb9ac64070b9734.jpg

Thanks. I completely agree about this.

Got it. Interesting then. I wonder what changed to cause reception to be worse for some and better for others. And yet recent updates made it a more balanced.

iPad Pro 2018 models also have similar issues with the data connection speed I've described on my XS Max on both the wifi and cellular connection. Not sure why, but may be related to how the chipset is receiving and sending data has changed in this release. Pretty sure they are trying new things and it will be reverted In the next update as this one is garbage. Also suspecting that apple will push this update by the 14th or so given the new Beats Pro coming. I'm sure there are some under the hood fixes for them.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Bold emphasis is mine ... can you expand on this? I look at my 8+, and X and an XS Max and I'm not seeing smaller. I'm seeing bigger.

There are more of them between the 8 and XS series ... double from a cellular perspective ... they have to put them somewhere. Yes ... the newer series may be larger ... a mm here and there though ... I would not consider that a lot for double the antenna array.

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
iPad Pro 2018 models also have similar issues with the data connection speed I've described on my XS Max on both the wifi and cellular connection. Not sure why, but may be related to how the chipset is receiving and sending data has changed in this release. Pretty sure they are trying new things and it will be reverted In the next update as this one is garbage. Also suspecting that apple will push this update by the 14th or so given the new Beats Pro coming. I'm sure there are some under the hood fixes for them.

I hope so as well. It’s weird as I don’t think they “know” or is very sure on which version is good and bad since they’ve been playing with it since 12.3 betas started. I think they had it near perfect in 12.2 minus random signal lost. Now it’s just all over the place.

But I think you’re right. As it seems to happen every time they update the baseband. So far my issues still are:

Random lost of service (it just happened a hour ago)

WiFi randomly dropping in the same area it didn’t before with 12.2, this is with medium signal strength. Even though it tested above 80mbps/300mbps. This is on 5Ghz. I can even get it to drop just by touching the top part of my phone. This leads me to think RX antenna diversity isn’t on.

I tend to get no service quicker in weaker areas vs my mom with her iPhone XR on 12.2. Hers seems to maintain a signal longer.

Data randomly stops for a minute or so.

Last edited:

GCHASE1995

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
Had to go back to 12.2. I tried everything and steps weren’t being tracked in Pokémon GO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.