Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

atton

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2016
London, UK
This is most likely related to a setting gone rogue. I experience the lock up ever since I upgraded to the iPhone 7 when it came out. That issue has persisted throughout every iOS version and device since then (currently running the XS with 12.2, settings app locked up for 20 seconds just now).

I‘m saying this because I handed off my old 7 and X to relatives and still manage said devices for them: they work flawlessly with no lock ups at all.
Useful data, thank you.

So the theory here is then that if I do a full wipe and then restore from my iCloud backup this would fix it? Or are you saying the bugged setting is carried through in my iCloud backup since when your relatives use the devices with their own Apple ID I assume, they don’t get this issue?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Useful data, thank you.

So the theory here is then that if I do a full wipe and then restore from my iCloud backup this would fix it? Or are you saying the bugged setting is carried through in my iCloud backup since when your relatives use the devices with their own Apple ID I assume, they don’t get this issue?
Yeah, I think it‘s a borked setting in the backup. Not sure if resetting all settings works or if you need to wipe and start clean. It‘s just a theory I came to after seeing no issues on my old devices after they had a clean wipe (and restored via iTunes to the latest OS, cause I had beta SW on them occasionally).

Reactions: atton

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Need some advice. I have an XS and I’m still on iOS 12.4 beta. It works good still. Is there any reason I should update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.