Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
That's great, but other users should not have to read the tea leaves to see what someone is saying is an issue. Even circling it in red would have been more helpful. If you take the time to post here about something, take the few seconds more it takes to do it properly.

How about you take a few seconds to try to figure out what the person was talking about, and if you can't figure it out, ask nicely for a clarification of the issue rather than quoting someone else's joke at his expense. Geeze people these days are so inconsiderate of one another it astounds me sometimes.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
How about you take a few seconds to try to figure out what the person was talking about, and if you can't figure it out, ask nicely for a clarification of the issue rather than quoting someone else's joke at his expense. Geeze people these days are so inconsiderate of one another it astounds me sometimes.
ANd I would argue that people who come in here expecting others to answer their poorly phrased or in this case, basically unphrased questions are the inconsiderate ones. They show up, post a very ambiguous screenshot and expect people to discern what their issue is. If you want assistance from people, do them the courtesy of taking the extra 10 seconds (maybe?) and type something like "my keyboard is partially showing" so we all don't have to guess what they're asking about. By the way, we still really don't know if that was the poster's question. You are assuming it is, but we don't know for sure.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

You are absolutely wrong IMO. We should not have to try to figure out what the issue is. If someone posts on here requesting help, it is up to them to post in a clear, concise and courteous manner.

If they cant do that, they don’t deserve any help.

I would argue that *if* there is someone to pin the ‘inconsiderate’ badge on, its the OP for throwing up a picture with no hello, please, thank you, explanation etc etc.

Edit: I normally get lambasted or suspended by the ‘snowflakes’ and ‘entitled’ brigade by saying this so will see how this pans out... Might see y’all in 3 days! :)

Last edited:

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
That's great, but other users should not have to read the tea leaves to see what someone is saying is an issue. Even circling it in red would have been more helpful. If you take the time to post here about something, take the few seconds more it takes to do it properly.

Well if you’ve been using iPhones long enough, you’ll know that the messaging tray shouldn’t be there, so I assumed that everyone would know what I was talking about. Clearly that wasn’t the case, so here’s a better picture of what I meant.

And to those saying that I should post a better screenshot, how about you take a minute an just look. I’m not a new user and most of us are competent enough to recognize that it wasn’t supposed to be there.

074dea91c76155dfd322531dce09eed3.jpg

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
You are absolutely wrong IMO. We should not have to try to figure out what the issue is. If someone posts on here requesting help, it is up to them to post in a clear, concise and courteous manner.

If they cant do that, they don’t deserve any help.

I would argue that *if* there is someone to pin the ‘inconsiderate’ badge on, its the OP for throwing up a picture with no hello, please, thank you, explanation etc etc.

Edit: I normally get lambasted or suspended by the ‘snowflakes’ and ‘entitled’ brigade by saying this so will see how this pans out... Might see y’all in 3 days! :)

You can look at my new post above. You’re wrong in your thinking, and that’s why people are sometimes so hesitant to ask for help...because of ignorant comments like this.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Ok, your opinion to which you’re absolutely entitled to. However, I don’t think it was ignorant, rather, to the point, and very direct.

Anyway, moving on... I can feel the ban hammer lurching its way towards me!

Last edited:
Reactions: JMacIV and Jimpilot

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
IPP G2 12.9

Do a good bit of TV watching on this device during the day. Have noticed it is burning through the battery a lot faster than 12.3.x. 3 hours of watching Spectrum TV has burned through over 50% of the battery.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
IPP G2 12.9

Do a good bit of TV watching on this device during the day. Have noticed it is burning through the battery a lot faster than 12.3.x. 3 hours of watching Spectrum TV has burned through over 50% of the battery.

Could any of this be due to the screen being brighter if you’ve got adaptive brightness on?

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Could any of this be due to the screen being brighter if you’ve got adaptive brightness on?

Not unless something else has changed. Good suggestion to check.
Since I have had so many touch issues, this device pretty much sits at the back of my desk in my office with ceiling lights. I keep it predominately tuned to various news/financial/history stations at low volume. I also use it as a document display device.

True Tone is on.
View is Standard.
Auto Brightness is on.
White Point is off.
Color filters is off.
Brightness is 35%.

Pretty much don't change these ever.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
100% agree. That drives me nuts; often it needs a force quit.

Particularly irritating because my Airpods often disappear from the shortlist in the Phone and Control Center and I need to open settings and tap connect. IOS is becoming as ****** as Apple's "Pro" Macbooks.

Almost, but not quite, as bad as the Windows phone I had in ~2004 which would randomly reboot upon picking up a call. Perhaps Apple has that feature waiting for us in IOS 13.

I’m predicting the last update of iOS 12 will still have that bug.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
ANd I would argue that people who come in here expecting others to answer their poorly phrased or in this case, basically unphrased questions are the inconsiderate ones. They show up, post a very ambiguous screenshot and expect people to discern what their issue is. If you want assistance from people, do them the courtesy of taking the extra 10 seconds (maybe?) and type something like "my keyboard is partially showing" so we all don't have to guess what they're asking about. By the way, we still really don't know if that was the poster's question. You are assuming it is, but we don't know for sure.

How can you even defend yourself and think that this is okay? You don't have to answer this person's question or any question you don't understand, but instead of asking for clarification you made fun of it. It took literally 30 seconds for me to open my messages app and play a quick game of "one of these doesn't look like the other" to figure out what his problem is - and yes - I'm pretty certain my assumption is correct, but we can wait for official clarification if you want.

And then after I answered the question I get scolded for not playing along with the "Let's make fun of the stupid kid" game because I guess that's what I was supposed to do. Come on guys - we're better than this aren't we?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
How can you even defend yourself and think that this is okay? You don't have to answer this person's question or any question you don't understand, but instead of asking for clarification you made fun of it. It took literally 30 seconds for me to open my messages app and play a quick game of "one of these doesn't look like the other" to figure out what his problem is - and yes - I'm pretty certain my assumption is correct, but we can wait for official clarification if you want.

And then after I answered the question I get scolded for not playing along with the "Let's make fun of the stupid kid" game because I guess that's what I was supposed to do. Come on guys - we're better than this aren't we?

Edit: CBA

Last edited:

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
*you* got scolded? Someone had a different opinion than yours and you take that as you being scolded?? JHC. I’m out.

For the love of God(c) please stop taking this so personally and seriously.

What exactly are you arguing for here?

Here's a recap.
  • A question was asked.
  • I answered the question to the best of my ability without commenting about people's previous comments directed towards this questioner
  • Next thing I know @gwhizkids and you are talking about how it's unthinkable for someone to ask a question without enough information for you to answer and using this to justify making fun of that person's question instead of answering it or asking for more information politely.
  • I then called @gwhizkids out on this and instead of admitting that he was wrong he double down calling this person inconsiderate and even trying to impugn my answer to the question as a possibly incorrect assumption.
  • Now I get told to not take things so personally and seriously... because that has anything to do with this topic?
News flash - there will always be questions that don't have enough information. We can not train the questioner, but what we can do is learn how to receive and respond to questions better. All I'm asking, which I don't think is a big ask, is that instead of poking fun at a question you don't understand to either ignore it and move on or ask for more information politely.

The world would be a better place if we all just thought about someone other than ourselves from time to time.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Happy for you. Done with this topic.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
What exactly are you arguing for here?

Here's a recap.
  • A question was asked.
  • I answered the question to the best of my ability without commenting about people's previous comments directed towards this questioner
  • Next thing I know @gwhizkids and you are talking about how it's unthinkable for someone to ask a question without enough information for you to answer and using this to justify making fun of that person's question instead of answering it or asking for more information politely.
  • I then called @gwhizkids out on this and instead of admitting that he was wrong he double down calling this person inconsiderate and even trying to impugn my answer to the question as a possibly incorrect assumption.
  • Now I get told to not take things so personally and seriously... because that has anything to do with this topic?
News flash - there will always be questions that don't have enough information. We can not train the questioner, but what we can do is learn how to receive and respond to questions better. All I'm asking, which I don't think is a big ask, is that instead of poking fun at a question you don't understand to either ignore it and move on or ask for more information politely.

The world would be a better place if we all just thought about someone other than ourselves from time to time.

Where did we make fun? I most certainly didn’t, nor did anyone else from what I’ve read. I stated that people who want help should post correctly...that is not making fun, no matter how you look at it.

Edit: scratch that. This is pathetic. Like being back at school. You take the posts however you want. This is way OT and quite frankly really boring.

Back OT AFAIK.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
Where did we make fun? I most certainly didn’t, nor did anyone else from what I’ve read. I stated that people who want help should post correctly...that is not making fun, no matter how you look at it.

I'll be sure to inform everyone to ask clearer questions in the future.

Edit: You are correct though - no one was made fun of here I was being an arse and over exaggerating what occurred.

Kaizoku1992

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2019
Anyone has XS max and have issues with screen’s wake up? Not specific in 12.4 but generally. Mine doesn’t wake up always. 2-3 times a day screen remains black and I must press 2 times the power button to wake it up. I send bug report to apple 7 days ago and I hope to fix it soon

Reactions: decypher44

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
Anyone has XS max and have issues with screen’s wake up? Not specific in 12.4 but generally. Mine doesn’t wake up always. 2-3 times a day screen remains black and I must press 2 times the power button to wake it up. I send bug report to apple 7 days ago and I hope to fix it soon
yup i experienced this aswell.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA

From time to time.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I have that issue occasionally, but it‘s more of a deadlock here. Power button does nothing and then after 30s it fires off all button presses in rapidfire mode.

Kaizoku1992

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2019
Why apple didn’t fix it yet? Couldn’t find the solution in this bug? This is annoying. (Unless this is not a bug but something else)

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Continued from last beta:

Not sure if this is the right place but I’ve noticed today that I can no longer say “hey Siri turn off all lights except living room” (or any other room). The response is “Sorry I wasn’t able to find anything like that in the Living Room in your Home this time”

I don’t know which beta this started with and it occurs no matter which device I ask, iPhone, HomePod. Can anyone else try/replicate this please?

I’ve reported it too. Thanks.

Edit: the command works from my watch using the latest beta

Can anyone please confirm this?

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
For the first time since ios 12, my iPhone X crashed when I locked the phone with Camera on and when I tried to unlock it.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I haven't experienced this. XS Max Verizon.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.