Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yep, A12 still stops at 12.1.2 for jailbreak fun... cries in relief into 12.0.1 XR (but not really)

no PAC bypass for 12.2+ yet

whats interesting is I don't think 12.3 is exploitable. My understanding is the exploit was patch, then subsequently un-patched in 12.4; this is totally Apple's goof.

Cant recall the last time a signed latest version was jailbreakable either. Historic! Wonderful time for people to get in with minimal barrier to entry (unless they got a shiny new iPhone or iPad in the past year)

This really makes me wish I had an 8 variant or X still, on standby. but I don't want iPhone bloat my 2x SE's and XR feels like enough.

iOS 13 jailbreak roadmap may get hairy. Still got an SE worst comes to worst, but I think I'll just stay on 12.1 on it, because it syncs with my same watch that can with my XR

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Be prepared to download all of your tweaks again. My repos were there but not my tweaks. Maybe take a screenshot of all of your tweaks in Cydia before you update. Springtomize 4 is currently not working so I am using SpringPlus11 until it updates.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Holy canoli, this is great. I hadn't been jailbroken since iOS10 on my iPhone 6.

I'm on an 8+ on 12.4, but am unable to press on Account Management to see the tweaks I had previously installed/purchased - in fact, none of the buttons or links on Cydia's home page work. Any help?

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018
Good news for my iPhone6 plus. Currently at 12.3.1 and not jailbroken. Will attempt to upgrade to 12.4 and jailbreak later tonight.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Holy canoli, this is great. I hadn't been jailbroken since iOS10 on my iPhone 6.

I'm on an 8+ on 12.4, but am unable to press on Account Management to see the tweaks I had previously installed/purchased - in fact, none of the buttons or links on Cydia's home page work. Any help?

you need to slide your finger a bit as you press.. it's a known issue .

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I’m in awe.
I recently bought a AW4 and had to upgrade my iPhone 6s Plus. I thought that this was life after jailbreak. Woke up and read this news and I think I might skip Apple Card and rejailbreak my phone.
This is rare and might now look into securing an X or 8plus to use in the future.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
for once got to say I ain’t bothered about this jailbreak.
jailbroken on 12.1.1 and it can stay there.
I will be upgrading either way to iOS 13 on release

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Okay, I'm wondering if the route I wanna take will work and it sounds like being semi-tethered will actually be a good thing. I'm on 12.1.2 and jailbroken. Since it's technically a semi-tether, if I restart my phone into an unjailbroken state, update to 12.4, install the newest unc0ver ipa, jailbreak, I won't run into any issues causing me to have to restore?

I just don't wanna go through the hassle of resyncing all my music and doing the backup stuff. Dx

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
Okay, I'm wondering if the route I wanna take will work and it sounds like being semi-tethered will actually be a good thing. I'm on 12.1.2 and jailbroken. Since it's technically a semi-tether, if I restart my phone into an unjailbroken state, update to 12.4, install the newest unc0ver ipa, jailbreak, I won't run into any issues causing me to have to restore?

I just don't wanna go through the hassle of resyncing all my music and doing the backup stuff. Dx

I don't know if that will work or not. But if your going to try it I'd have a very recent backup.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

Despite the fact that these jailbreaks are semi-untethered, they actually do move files around on the system partition.

Simply updating stock and then trying to jailbreak again is not going to work. You have existing jailbreak files right now.

You need to restore first.

I usually backup, DFU restore (which includes the updating) and then restore from backup. It's never failed me.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
pretty sure that wouldn’t work.
your best off using the app apply remove rootFS
reboot and use iTunes to update to 12.4 then rejailbreak

When doing the restore rootFS, do you just tap the toggle, or do you wanna make sure anything else is untoggled and then hit "restart" or? Just wanna tread lightly since I don't really have space anywhere to backup. D:

Despite the fact that these jailbreaks are semi-untethered, they actually do move files around on the system partition.

Simply updating stock and then trying to jailbreak again is not going to work. You have existing jailbreak files right now.

You need to restore first.

I usually backup, DFU restore (which includes the updating) and then restore from backup. It's never failed me.

Eh, it was just an idea, but you guys are right. I totally forgot that it would for sure mess up things since the files are still there when you're booted into stock in semi-untether. I mean, who knows. It might semi-work, but I'm sure a bunch of weird things would happen and it's not worth the headache.

As I don't really have the space anywhere to backup my phone, I'm probably gonna apply restore rootFS method since it's the same end result as my original idea.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
When doing the restore rootFS, do you just tap the toggle, or do you wanna make sure anything else is untoggled and then hit "restart" or? Just wanna tread lightly since I don't really have space anywhere to backup. D:

Eh, it was just an idea, but you guys are right. I totally forgot that it would for sure mess up things since the files are still there when you're booted into stock in semi-untether. I mean, who knows. It might semi-work, but I'm sure a bunch of weird things would happen and it's not worth the headache.

As I don't really have the space anywhere to backup my phone, I'm probably gonna apply restore rootFS method since it's the same end result as my original idea.

rootFS
you toggle it on doesn’t matter on other toggles.
click jailbreak and it will use the snapshot when it was jailbroken to return to non jailbroken mode.

when I use rootFS I was even allowed to use my bank apps etc that don’t run on jailbroken devices.

once unjailbroken connect to iTunes and update to 12.4 then re jailbreak

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I ended up unjailbreaking for a couple of reasons:

* Messages notifications were not responding - I would press them and nothing happened
* Similarly, links sent within the Messages app would not open
* My Apple Watch would not get many notifications
* Some apps would become unresponsive
* Likewise, some other notifications outside Messages would start becoming unresponsive after some time
* Nintendo’s Switch Voice Chat app has JB detection with no known patch, so I couldn’t talk smack to my friends when I beat them at Smash ;) (and good luck getting them to download Discord)

I’ll probably stay on 12.4 and wait for the jailbreak and tweaks to become a bit more stable before trying again. I’m not into the whole heavy skinning/theming anymore, and am looking more for apps that make my phone use more productive while keeping stability, so I’m fine waiting.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Been a LONG TIME since I've jailbroken a phone. I think I still have an iP6 laying around still on iOS8.1. :eek:

If I understand the process correctly, we now jailbreak via Impactor (which I've used) and sideload the jailbreak, which is semi-tethered? And then the whole process has to be repeated every 7 days if we don't have a Developer's License? :eek:

Or am I getting the whole thing wrong?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Been a LONG TIME since I've jailbroken a phone. I think I still have an iP6 laying around still on iOS8.1. :eek:

If I understand the process correctly, we now jailbreak via Impactor (which I've used) and sideload the jailbreak, which is semi-tethered? And then the whole process has to be repeated every 7 days if we don't have a Developer's License? :eek:

Or am I getting the whole thing wrong?
You're correct. The only error is what you called it. It's semi-untethered.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I ended up unjailbreaking for a couple of reasons:

* Messages notifications were not responding - I would press them and nothing happened
* Similarly, links sent within the Messages app would not open
* My Apple Watch would not get many notifications
* Some apps would become unresponsive
* Likewise, some other notifications outside Messages would start becoming unresponsive after some time
* Nintendo’s Switch Voice Chat app has JB detection with no known patch, so I couldn’t talk smack to my friends when I beat them at Smash ;) (and good luck getting them to download Discord)

I’ll probably stay on 12.4 and wait for the jailbreak and tweaks to become a bit more stable before trying again. I’m not into the whole heavy skinning/theming anymore, and am looking more for apps that make my phone use more productive while keeping stability, so I’m fine waiting.
I also ended up unjailbreaking my iPad air 2 and restore back to stock iOS 12.4 for now.

I had random reboot almost every time my iPad was on the charger and yesterday it took a hard reset to boot it again, so I decided it was enough. Plus, memory management was terrible. Apps reloaded way too frequently at a point it just wasn't productive anymore. I just had a couple of tweaks like noctis12, deluminator, boxy 3 and mikoto.

I'll see later if I'll rejailbreak or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.