Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I know this is a common question, but I’m sure there’s many like me who want to know. I understand that because it’s a beta it will have bugs, glitches, errors, etc. I’ve run iOS betas on my main devices since iOS 9, and I enjoy doing it. I understand the risks of beta software and am ok with it. For those using the beta now, is b1 of iOS 12 good enough to be a daily driver? Are the performance improvements on the newer devices, iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5 which are what I use, worth it to get the beta now? Or are there too many issues that make it not good enough to be a daily driver?
Thanks,
JerTheGeek

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Not really for the OP, but for others who may read this for advice...

Sometimes a later beta can break stuff that was already working. Just because your favorite app works with Beta 1 doesn't mean it will keep working with future betas. It's really important to know if you have any mission critical apps, you shouldn't do the beta programs.

My only mission critical apps are phone and iMessage so I'm taking the plunge. I don't develop enough to justify buying multiple devices for testing yet so it's going on my daily driver.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Not really for the OP, but for others who may read this for advice...

Sometimes a later beta can break stuff that was already working. Just because your favorite app works with Beta 1 doesn't mean it will keep working with future betas. It's really important to know if you have any mission critical apps, you shouldn't do the beta programs.

My only mission critical apps are phone and iMessage so I'm taking the plunge. I don't develop enough to justify buying multiple devices for testing yet so it's going on my daily driver.
Good point. I don’t think I’m gonna do it on my X because it already is fast and probably won’t see many improvements on the performance side. The other features are nice and I look forward to having them later in the year but i don’t think they’re worth dealing with a b1 to me. I’ll probably jump on around beta 4 or 5 maybe.
On the other hand my iPad is not nearly as important, so I may put it on there cause I am interested in the new iPhone X style UI elements and gestures. Seems like the apps I use on it work so far too.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I know this is a common question, but I’m sure there’s many like me who want to know. I understand that because it’s a beta it will have bugs, glitches, errors, etc. I’ve run iOS betas on my main devices since iOS 9, and I enjoy doing it. I understand the risks of beta software and am ok with it. For those using the beta now, is b1 of iOS 12 good enough to be a daily driver? Are the performance improvements on the newer devices, iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5 which are what I use, worth it to get the beta now? Or are there too many issues that make it not good enough to be a daily driver?
Thanks,
JerTheGeek

If your primary development platforms are also your primary devices then you almost have no choice but to daily drive it. But if you have older iPhone & iPad devices that you do your testing on then non brainer to put the beta on those and keep your daily driver on the current release software

iOS 12 beta 1 is by far the best beta 1 ever released. But id almost be inclined to even get a second device and do your app testing on that instead of a daily driver

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Personally I would run it as daily driver as soon as Skype gets fixed as I need it frequently throughout the day.
Other than that no showstopper-bugs found so far.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Another smooth half day here. Being able to close apps without doing the stupid hold first is well worth a few glitches here and there XD

Reactions: fongyuen

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I can get over bugs that are on the release notes with a beta. What gets me about the beta process is the small stuff. For example, characters that are not aligned properly, keyboards that get stuck, and apps I use everyday that crash. It’s a process and the fact that 12 isn’t a major upgrade (IMO), I’ll probably use it as a DD after the last beta is released. That’s usually a month before their keynote in September.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I’ve never heard that any beta 1 of any release was good.. this is very tempting. But around 3 is usually when things start getting a little funky. I’m going to wait til beta 5 or 6 before I hop on..

Reactions: Dwalls90

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I did put it on my iPad Air 2. No problems so far. Holding off on my phone as I travel weekly and can't afford to be away from my iMac to DFU it if things go bad. Might try it out over the weekend, though before my next travels.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’ve never installed a developer beta before but decided to as many here were saying it was very stable. Been running it on my X and so far no real issues other than a few UI glitches here and there.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
For the first beta it’s surprisingly pretty good. The battery will be terrible tho but that’s expected. I’ve only had one crash since I installed it.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
None of my apps on my iPad Pro work now.

I assume this is hyperbole. I tested a couple dozen apps on my iPad Air 2, and I didn't find a single one with a problem.

I did put it on my iPad Air 2. No problems so far. Holding off on my phone as I travel weekly and can't afford to be away from my iMac to DFU it if things go bad. Might try it out over the weekend, though before my next travels.

+1 I'm in the same situation due to a trip to Spain and Morocco in two weeks. There's no way I'm going to put it on my iPhone 7 until I'm back. I don't want my phone to break when I'm away from my computer for two weeks. At some point after I get back, I'll try it on my iPhone.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Treble

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Manchester UK
Unbelievable how stable this beta is on my x iPad Pro 10.5 and watch series 3 not 1 hiccup I can’t tell it’s a beta it’s super stable imo

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Netflix and Prime Video weren't working. Now they are working I think.

Calls on other devices ain't working though.
[doublepost=1528208715][/doublepost]
My battery life actually hasn't been half bad with b1 so far. On par with 11.4 as far as I can tell.

How are people testing the battery life?

I am unable to figure out how to check how much I have used my device since last charged. Any way around it?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Netflix and Prime Video weren't working. Now they are working I think.

Calls on other devices ain't working though.
[doublepost=1528208715][/doublepost]

How are people testing the battery life?

I am unable to figure out how to check how much I have used my device since last charged. Any way around it?

Honestly I'm just using it as I normally would. I don't bother with percentages and such. Using my phone as I normally would I know where it would normally be at certain parts of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.