Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Kind of odd of them make a fairly sizable deal about it during the keynote when it came to macOS, while not mention anything at all when it comes to iOS if they are in fact planning on launching it in iOS 12.
Makes me think only certain phones are going to get it. But that’s also the case with Animoji/Memoji so maybe they’re saving it for next year when the UI gets more of an overhaul.

adamlonsdale

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2012
During the keynote they mentioned that iOS apps would eventually begin to run UIKit on macOS - is it feasible that this dark enum is for macOS "hybrid" apps only?

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Can someone explain the OP in plain english? Does this confirm a dark mode for ios12 100%?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Can someone explain the OP in plain english? Does this confirm a dark mode for ios12 100%?
An enum stores values which can be compared and assigned. In this case, the enumerators are .light and .dark and the enumerated type is UIUserInterfaceStyle. This suggests than in the future, developers will be able to change their code depending on which UI style the user is using.

I was halfway through implementing some kind of dark mode in one of my apps, but think I'm going to hold off until at least the Autumn in case it all becomes easier to do natively.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Not a Siri suggestion.

10_C547_A4_5612_4389_8_CF3_4_B35_F88_EBEBB.png

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Kind of odd of them make a fairly sizable deal about it during the keynote when it came to macOS, while not mention anything at all when it comes to iOS if they are in fact planning on launching it in iOS 12.

They have to have plenty of things to say when they talk about the new iPhone and what it’s capable of with iOS 12.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Between that and .100%
[doublepost=1528157475][/doublepost]
They have to have plenty of things to say when they talk about the new iPhone and what it’s capable of with iOS 12.
But something like that doesn't seem like it would be some unique thing to a new phone. I mean perhaps last year when OLED was something new, but with the iPhone X already being out, that doesn't really seem like something that would fit in this year.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Consider that this enumeration may exist solely for UIKit support on macOS. Watching the keynote, they announced that at least in some form or another they are in the process of porting UIKit to macOS (and that News, Voice Memos, and Home are using it). This enumeration may exist as the result of UIKit now being cross platform, and one of those platforms happens to support a dark mode. Don't read into too much, and don't get your hopes up too much.

Reactions: deuxani

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
They will probably toggle on and off dark mode availability as the betas progress, like they did with Messages in the cloud.
So it’s 50/50 if it will be in the final. ;)

But they announced the messages features in the keynote and didn’t sneakily include them later.
[doublepost=1528217223][/doublepost]It probably wasn’t included because a full UI redesign is expected in iOS 13 and it would not have been worth the effort to make a dark version of the old UI for just one year. Very disappointing if you ask me.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It would be odd to release dark mode—a feature developers need to implement for their apps—at the iPhone event in September. I get that we're getting more OLED, but that's only on the X Plus. The regular iPhone that will pick up some styling cues from the iPhone X is going to remain LCD by using a newer LCD technology that allows them to get those tight, minimal bezel rounded corners like the iPhone X. It would have been smarter to at least announce that it's coming so that developers can start working on it, making mockups, etc and then implement the hooks when they're available—either in later betas or as part of 12.1, 12.2, etc. My money is on iOS 13 when they redesign more of the look and feel and then they can do light and dark modes all at once, with these references maybe showing up for Marzipan.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They will probably toggle on and off dark mode availability as the betas progress, like they did with Messages in the cloud.
So it’s 50/50 if it will be in the final. ;)

Apple can't toggle dark mode on/off because it's not just a switch.

Dark mode requires full developer involvement to ensure the color palette makes sense for third-party apps.

As others have mentioned, dark mode would have stage time at WWDC if Apple really wanted it for iOS 12. There's no reason to wait for September 2018.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.