Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was so hype on this I asked this guy who is an Apple engineer who also works for 9to5mac.com. Check his response.
4f92f1b356bfda334442438c442cb588.png

5fa1888dca33dfb21706ebbaadad1bad.png
Meaning that this doesn't mean that dark mode is coming to iOS. That's somewhat different than saying something about it is fake.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Hope it's not oled exclusive.

I totally agree with you.

I have a X, will be upgrading to whatever the X Plus is this year, think a dark mode on the OLED display would be amazing, and even though LCD displays will still need to power those 'dark' pixels, I hope they get it as well just so LCD users can at least get a similar aesthetic.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I totally agree with you.

I have a X, will be upgrading to whatever the X Plus is this year, think a dark mode on the OLED display would be amazing, and even though LCD displays will still need to power those 'dark' pixels, I hope they get it as well just so LCD users can at least get a similar aesthetic.
I never really understood whether dark pixels - as opposed to pitch black pixels - actually consume less energy on OLED screens, because dark pixels certainly can’t just be off, which is where the main energy saving comes from in OLED.

If simply dark doesn’t use less energy, then either dark mode would have to have a lot of actual black- which to me is not really what I want from a dark mode - or else I don’t really see why people are tying this feature to OLED.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I never really understood whether dark pixels - as opposed to pitch black pixels - actually consume less energy on OLED screens, because dark pixels certainly can’t just be off, which is where the main energy saving comes from in OLED.

If simply dark doesn’t use less energy, then either dark mode would have to have a lot of actual black- which to me is not really what I want from a dark mode - or else I don’t really see why people are tying this feature to OLED.

Granted.

Though, I imagine a dark mode will still have more black than non-dark mode.

According to https://www.greenbot.com/article/28...interface-really-save-on-amoled-displays.html, there is a relationship between brightness and power consumption. So, while truly black pixels save the most power, you will still get a power savings for 'darker' pixels.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Hope it's not oled exclusive.

There is precedent, sadly.

Apple made Siri a 4S and above exclusive when there was no performance requirement to do so.

Perhaps with the speculation about a cheaper LCD model it will be excluded?

Hope not though, not a fan of exclusivity for no reason other than driving up the average price per unit.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is precedent, sadly.

Apple made Siri a 4S and above exclusive when there was no performance requirement to do so.

Perhaps with the speculation about a cheaper LCD model it will be excluded?

Hope not though, not a fan of exclusivity for no reason other than driving up the average price per unit.
Wasn't there something about additional microphones and/or noise cancelling that the 4 didn't support?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If it's coming this year, I could see them making it exclusive for the OLED phones.

Gautch

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2018
Remote
If it's coming this year, I could see them making it exclusive for the OLED phones.

There was a dark notification in the Keynote. You can see it at the 32:20 mark.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 12.55.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 12.55.53 PM.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 330

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Wasn't there something about additional microphones and/or noise cancelling that the 4 didn't support?

I don’t believe so.

Before Apple purchased Siri it was a 3rd party app that worked perfectly well on the iPhone 3GS. There were plans by the developer at the time to make it compatible with the iPhone 3G too although I don’t know whether that ever happened.

Once purchased, Apple used Siri as an unnecessary excuse (performance wise) to encourage people to upgrade to the 4S in much the same way as they could opt to do with OLED and Dark Mode.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don’t believe so.

Before Apple purchased Siri it was a 3rd party app that worked perfectly well on the iPhone 3GS. There were plans by the developer at the time to make it compatible with the iPhone 3G too although I don’t know whether that ever happened.

Once purchased, Apple used Siri as an unnecessary excuse (performance wise) to encourage people to upgrade to the 4S in much the same way as they could opt to do with OLED and Dark Mode.
Well, if they would have tied dark mode to OLED seems like that should have happened last year when OLED made its appearance.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Well, if they would have tied dark mode to OLED seems like that should have happened last year when OLED made its appearance.

I agree.

With speculation about the introduction of an iPhone X lookalike LCD model, however, perhaps now will be the time they use it to differentiate the OLED offerings?

(I’m not convinced they will. Dark Mode has been consistently one of the top requested features since the intro of iOS 7 and yet Apple have resisted for some unknown reason).

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I suspect that Apple was seeing the response with macOS Mojave and will unveil it either in September or more likely in March.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Developers on Twitter who analysed the code said this enum is for tvOS and/or MacOS's UIkit implementation. If there was a dark mode hidden in iOS12 people would've found it. We'll have to wait for iOS13, because it's not going to be in this version or else they definitely would've talked about (it's kind of a big deal on MacOS too).

Personally I don't care much about iOS dark mode, as 99% of the time I use 3rd party apps. If they have a dark mode implemented (like Twitter, YouTube, Tapatalk, etc), that's basically all I need.

Reactions: tkwlee

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Whenever you miss a call, iOS reminds you to call them back, the notification is in proper Dark Mode.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Wishful thinking - Maybe Apple is saving the dark mode to be introduced along with the new iPhone... to have a bigger Wow factor if there are not many new hardware design features.
The new iPhone will most likely be similar in terms of design to the last year's iPhone X with faster processor and custom power management chip, this along with the dark mode could help boost the battery life too.

Again.. wishful thinking... it would be good to have an additional option for the dark mode, even if not as a daily driver but for times when your iPhone feels like same ol'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.