Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Dark mode and more customization. The ability to set a background photo in messages and change SMS bubble colors. Would also love to be able to theme our phones with colors of our phone cases similar as you can now with with the Apple Watch with the Apple bands.

I have a feeling Apple is never going to mess with the blue bubbles just because it's such an iconic thing.

As for the Music app, it's definitely kind of a mess. It'd be nice if that's on the agenda to get cleaned up with the bug fixes and improvements that are supposedly coming in iOS 12.
[doublepost=1526596677][/doublepost]
I want them to focus on UI and UX. No new features but to focus heavily on how we use our devices. I use my iPhone but I don’t love the experience since iOS 7.

That sort of seems to be on the agenda for iOS 12/13. iOS 12 is more of a bug fix update, rumors suggest interface changes are coming in iOS 13, including a revamped home screen.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
These will never happen but this is a wishlist after all...

Music
- Playlist sorting - I have 300 songs in my Chill playlist and would like to sort it so the most recently added tracks are at the top. Currently I move them to the top manually... laborious.
- Full screen art back on lock screen which shrinks when notifications come in
- Crossfade - like on iTunes, being able to smoothly transition between tracks
- Playlist suggestions - like Spotify, suggested tracks for playlists based on current tracks
- More views - list view for Albums, for example
- Instant search - start typing an artist and see real time results across your library and Apple Music
- Redesign the overlays for queuing, adding to playlist etc which intrude and obstruct experience

UI
- More shadows and depth in the UI generally
- Dark Mode for all stock apps with an API for devs. Option to auto enable at sunset like night shift
- Weather icon displays current weather

Do Not Disturb
- More control over schedules e.g. weekends, days off
- Option to hide bubbles / notifications entirely until DND is turned off, essentially removing the ‘phone’ part from the phone for when you need a break from people but still want to use your phone

Camera/Photos
- Ability to set default aspect ratio e.g. 16:9 or 3:2
- Blemish/patch tool
- Ability to adjust blur effect on Portrait Shots
- New edit tools like Vignette, Fade, Clarity
- Passcode or Face/Touch ID required to open Hidden album

- Ability to jump to past dates in your message archive more easily
- Self-destructing messaging options
- Snooze messages (notify again later)
- Archive messages (don’t want to delete them but wouldn’t mind cleaning up the list)
- SMS over WiFi

Widgets
- Major speed improvements/instant loading
- Pin widgets to home screen

Security
- Lock apps with passcode or Touch/Face ID

Mail
- Snooze support for iCloud Mail

FaceTime
- Group FaceTime
- Voicemail for FaceTime

Other
- Relocate volume indicator to top of screen
- Incoming call screen becomes a bubble at top of screen when phone is unlocked

That’s all I can think of now but I imagine few, if any, will happen.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Picture in picture

Get rid of that annoying volume interface that pops up in the middle of your screen.

Change control center for iPhone X. Reaching to the top corner for it is poor design.

Speed up animations.

Change the phone call notification so it doesn’t take up the entire screen when unlocked.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What new features are you hoping Apple will introduce in iOS 12? We'll be doing a wishlist series starting next week with your most desired features, so I'd love to hear what you want to see.

A return to IOS 10 :).

I doubt that will ever happen so how about a configuration setting that allows you to opt out of updates. Apple keeps reminding you to update and it's very easy to hit the wrong entry and accidentally update.

Reactions: arefbe

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Augmented Reality:
  • Multiplayer mode
Camera:
  • Ability to adjust camera setting within the app
  • Improved Portrait mode
  • AI capability to detect various objects and apply appropriate adjustment to improve quality
  • Ability to shoot RAW like third party apps
Control Center:
  • Ability to completely turn off WiFi and Bluetooth
  • Ability to select WiFi or Bluetooth device from CC
  • Add more toggle shortcut such as VPN, etc
Design / Display / System:
  • System dark mode / theme for all device with deeper blacks for OLED display
  • Suggest developers to incorporate Dark / Night mode
  • Ability to allow users to change color scheme / theme
  • Add more wallpaper
  • Ability to allow users to place apps wherever on Home Screen
  • Ability to use Face ID or Touch ID to lock specific apps or folder
  • Ability to split view / muti-window for larger screen iPhone
  • Ability to change icons from square to circular like Watch
  • Improved Landscape mode
  • System-wide password autofill with Face ID or Touch ID support
  • Add a customization double-tap feature for quick launch
  • Add "Close All" option to app switcher
  • Redesigned app card in app swticher
  • Add swipe key to stock keyboard
  • Improve stability of third party custom keyboard
  • Allow picture in picture for media playback
  • Ability to change transition animation scale or turn off
Clock:
  • Improve Bedtime by incorporating Health paired with Watch to keep track of sleeping habits such as graphical charts, amount of hours slept, sleep quality etc
Do Not Disturb:
  • Ability to allow notification for specific app
  • Ability to schedule a time to activate DND like Night Shift
FaceTime:
  • Ability to add group FaceTime
  • Ability to use filter / emoji etc similar to Snapchat
  • Ability to turn off camera in video call
  • Ability to set priority/VIP to specific message / from specific sender pin at the top
  • Ability to allow users to set wallpaper
  • Ability to allow users to change color scheme / theme
  • Ability to send any attachment such as file, docs etc
  • Ability to "Unread" iMessage
  • Add more animoji
  • Add more emoji
  • Add more tapbacks
Notification:
  • Ability to group all notification based on apps
  • Ability to set priority/VIP to specific app to be pin at the top
  • Improved notification IU layout with app icon, name, and time stamp similar to banner with their threaded notification text below
  • Ability to remove specific notification via one swipe gesture
  • HUD for Siri
  • HUD for volume control
  • HUD for calls
  • HUD for FaceTime
Phone:
  • Ability to turn on or off voicemail transcription
  • Ability to show contact pic
Siri:
  • Advanced Siri integration in stock apps at least
  • Smart Siri
  • Add Shazam integration

I will expand on these whenever I have the time. Just to throw this out there for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NBKindaGirl

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It'd be nice if DND got some additional controls after all this time, like being able to allow certain apps (at least Messages) to bypass it in addition to calls for certain people or groups of people, and the ability to set up different time periods for different days of the week.

Reactions: boston04and07

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I have a feeling Apple is never going to mess with the blue bubbles just because it's such an iconic thing.

As for the Music app, it's definitely kind of a mess. It'd be nice if that's on the agenda to get cleaned up with the bug fixes and improvements that are supposedly coming in iOS 12.
[doublepost=1526596677][/doublepost]

That sort of seems to be on the agenda for iOS 12/13. iOS 12 is more of a bug fix update, rumors suggest interface changes are coming in iOS 13, including a revamped home screen.
I'm kinda skeptical about it after too many supposed "maintenance" releases like El Capitan, High Sierra and iOS 9. The revamped home screen is rumored to be only for iPad and that makes me mad.

Reactions: redbeard331

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Not too worried about any additions or changes, just tweaks (like the DND suggestion above) and concentrating on making it a really solid release this time. 11 was basically release now, fix later - we're 8 months and 13 public versions down the line and yes it's pretty good now, but anyone upgrading their OS or phone in September was basically running beta-quality software on their $600-1200 device until about 11.3.

I'd take iOS 12 being a "Snow Leopard-style" release. To be honest, I'd even accept them missing a year and having 11.5 at WWDC, I don't know why it needs to be a yearly upgrade cycle (I mean, I do - demand. But there's no really good technical reason).

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
portrait mode for non + users using AI like google on his pixel 2 or the "focus" feature on instagram

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
  • What is iOS 12? Apple's next big iPhone and iPad software update
  • When is it out? Likely a June announcement and beta, September launch
  • How much will it cost? Nothing. iOS 12 will remain free.
While nothing is known about iOS 12 yet we have a clear idea of some of the things we want to see, such as the following.

1. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles that work properly.

Control Center has been improved for iOS 11, but one thing we’re not such fans of is the fact that you can’t actually turn off WiFi or Bluetooth from it.

Currently to do that you have to head to the main Settings screen, so in iOS 12 we’d like there to at least be an option to have proper ‘off’ toggles in Control Center - perhaps with a harder 3D Touch?
Bluetooth and WIFI work as they should. When I put airplane mode on I don't want them off because my Apple Watch and headphones will disconnect.

App store as it was

Health as it used to be or improvements because it's awful. Same for the activity app. More detailed info.

Better iBooks!

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
It'd be nice if DND got some additional controls after all this time, like being able to allow certain apps (at least Messages) to bypass it in addition to calls for certain people or groups of people, and the ability to set up different time periods for different days of the week.

I’d like this too. A few years ago there was a tornado warning in the middle of the night where I live, which happens extremely rarely here. My Red Cross Emergency app warned me about it but I didn’t see it until the next morning because of DND. I generally love DND when I go to bed at night but that does scare me. I’d definitely want the option to bypass that and a few other apps.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Absolutely nothing wrong with the iOS 11 wi-fi and bluetooth toggle, and the odds of Apple changing the behavior is about the same as Google coming up with an original idea.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’d like this too. A few years ago there was a tornado warning in the middle of the night where I live, which happens extremely rarely here. My Red Cross Emergency app warned me about it but I didn’t see it until the next morning because of DND. I generally love DND when I go to bed at night but that does scare me. I’d definitely want the option to bypass that and a few other apps.
I'd actually think that something like that would come through the built-in government emergency alerts, which bypass not only DND but even the silent/vibrate switch.

3:16

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
What new features are you hoping Apple will introduce in iOS 12? We'll be doing a wishlist series starting next week with your most desired features, so I'd love to hear what you want to see.
Bring back -slide-to-unlock-> seriously!

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
  • What is iOS 12? Apple's next big iPhone and iPad software update
  • When is it out? Likely a June announcement and beta, September launch
  • How much will it cost? Nothing. iOS 12 will remain free.
While nothing is known about iOS 12 yet we have a clear idea of some of the things we want to see, such as the following.

1. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles that work properly.

Control Center has been improved for iOS 11, but one thing we’re not such fans of is the fact that you can’t actually turn off WiFi or Bluetooth from it.

Currently to do that you have to head to the main Settings screen, so in iOS 12 we’d like there to at least be an option to have proper ‘off’ toggles in Control Center - perhaps with a harder 3D Touch?

2. Camera controls in the camera app

3. More powerful Files

Files promised to be a file explorer and manager for iOS, bringing it closer to a desktop experience, or at least to Android levels of control. But in reality, the first time you open Files you probably won’t see much of anything.

For iOS 12 we’d like to see it turned into a proper file manager.

4. More Control Center customization

With iOS 11 Apple has let you pick what you see in Control Center, but its selection isn’t comprehensive.

We’d love the power to add any setting or app shortcut we want, and also to remove the likes of music controls and screen mirroring, which currently you can’t.

5. Wish list returned to the App Store

The App Store has been overhauled as part of iOS 11, and for the most part it’s for the better, but one feature has been killed off in the process, namely wish lists.

Previously, if you saw an app or game you liked the look of but didn’t want to buy it then and there (perhaps because the price was high or you were using cellular data) you could add it to your wish list so you wouldn’t forget about it.

You can’t do that anymore, and nor can you see your old wish list, so good luck remembering anything you’ve added. It was a handy feature and we’d like to see it – along with everything we added to it – returned in iOS 12.
1. IT IS working properly. This is exactly how Apple wants them to work.
2. yep
3. I got a computer for that
4. ok
5. Don't use it personally, so meh.

Mine.
1. A UI/UX Overhaul. Its stale. af.

2. When swiping or returning to a website, there is substancial time before I can interact with the website. Minimize that.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
* Fix the bug which causes reading list items to keep disappearing since iOS 11.2 - reading List is totally broken and unuseable

* Fix the bug that causes safari to sometimes crash when attempting to add website to reading list

* Fix the bug when long pressing on attachments in notes app (photos, links etc) which causes the context menu to disappear straight away... making it useless.

* Fix the bug where only some of the photos sent via mail drop are added to photos app instead of all. Once attempted importing no way to try again unless you manually drag and drop each photo. Long press does not work.

* Fix the bug which causes photos to crash when attempting to import photos from mail drop

* Fix the bug which stops photos app from importing all photos when sharing many images from another app

* Fix the bug that causes favourite folders to disappear from the sidebar in the files app

* Fix the bug that causes PDF books to disappear from iBooks after every iOS update. They disappear from iCloud also.

* Fix the bug that causes a weeks worth of old email notifications to keep reappearing in notification centre even though you have already cleared them multiple times.

* Fix the bug..... list goes on and on

* Fix the bug called iOS 11

P.S. All these bugs have been present throughout the entire iOS 11 cycle except for the dissappearing Reading list item which started after updating to 11.2

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I'd actually think that something like that would come through the built-in government emergency alerts, which bypass not only DND but even the silent/vibrate switch.

You’re totally right, but believe it or not, it didn’t! I’ve always had government alerts enabled but for whatever reason, that wasn’t pushed through that night.

I’d also like to get other warnings though that typically aren’t sent via the government alerts. Like, if a blizzard warning goes into effect, I’d like to know so I can make sure everything is getting charged. Stuff like that.

Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.