Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
A true file system. I would also love to see a multi-window/split screen, so it runs more like a mini computer. Where you could watch YouTube or Netflix in one screen, while browsing the internet. I really want to come back to iOS, but I just feel like it is so dated, like I would be going backwards. I love all of my Apple products and the way they work together. I just want more from the phone and iOS.

Also iMessage in the cloud would be nice.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I posted this in another similar thread, but why not?

- Mouse support on the iPad
- The missing iPhone apps to finally come to the iPad...ie Weather, Calculator, Health and Activity now that that stuff is synced in iCloud anyway (ie give the user the choice to sync it to the iPad too), and a dedicated Phone app with access to voicemails for the iPad’s WiFi calling feature...much neater than having it in FaceTime
- Uses for the unused F3 and F4 keys on the magic keyboard...they should bring up the app switcher and the Home screen
- Do Not Disturb bypass for user selected apps...I’d like my Red Cross Emergency app to still notify me when DND is on, for example
- Add severe weather alerts and a Doppler radar view to the Weather app
- Ability to order prints and create photo books in the Photos app like you can on the Mac
- Synced Clock apps...ie when I start a timer on one device, have the alert pushed through to all my devices
- More local radio stations in Apple Music
- Ability to redownload only selected files from iCloud backups, like Time Machine...I never again want to have to restore an entire device to recover one crucial file...
- Add other iOS devices to the Airplay 2 “now playing” control center widget...like, if my iPhone is playing something, I’d like it to show up with my Apple TV devices on my iPad, for example...

Looking back at my original list from a few months ago I just realized I totally forgot one of my biggest requests - support for live tv services like Directv Now and PlayStation Vue in the TV app. I already have Vue set up as my cable provider, so it’d be fantastic if all my live channels from Vue appeared in the TV app.

Last edited:
Reactions: cashville2400

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I also just got home and haven't looked at my iPad in 2 or 3 days. I have too many notifications, why is there not a clear all like on my Note 8? Is this 2008 or 2009? Uh, very frustrating.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I also just got home and haven't looked at my iPad in 2 or 3 days. I have too many notifications, why is there not a clear all like on my Note 8? Is this 2008 or 2009? Uh, very frustrating.

Yes and to make things worse a weeks worth of old email notifications keep reappearing in notification centre even when you have already cleared them multiple times.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Dark mode!! And volume control to be redesigned. There’s absolutely no reason to have such a big box right in the middle of the screen that blocks most of the video. Those are 2 big ones for me. They could definitely add more tho.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
A true file system. I would also love to see a multi-window/split screen, so it runs more like a mini computer. Where you could watch YouTube or Netflix in one screen, while browsing the internet. I really want to come back to iOS, but I just feel like it is so dated, like I would be going backwards. I love all of my Apple products and the way they work together. I just want more from the phone and iOS.

Also iMessage in the cloud would be nice.

What's so weird is that when multitasking first came out for Android (I believe the Galaxy S3 or S4 was the first one to do it), I was so freaking excited and then realized that I literally never used it.

Reactions: cashville2400

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
What's so weird is that when multitasking first came out for Android (I believe the Galaxy S3 or S4 was the first one to do it), I was so freaking excited and then realized that I literally never used it.
Because even with these large screen phones like the note 8, it’s still way to small to really make use of split screen multi tasking.

Reactions: Feyl

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I wish it would look like iOS 9 again. Had to upgrade this week due to a battery issue on my 6S (which didn't fix the issue) and now the phone is slow and looks horrible. iOS 9 was the last decent iOS in terms of looks.

Reactions: 3:16

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011

Because even with these large screen phones like the note 8, it’s still way to small to really make use of split screen multi tasking.

I use split screen every day, but not everyone does. I think that is part of the reason Apple is not in a rush to implement it. The size is fine to me. I just go with what fits my needs. I love Apple products, but I like to use my phone as a mini computer and I don't feel like I am fully getting that with iOS. With my Note, I feel like I do. So I am going to just continue using Apple for everything else, for right now. I will keep my Note, as my go to phone. Even though I really hate Samsung, and that is an entirely different story.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
iOS Wishlist
Apps
* Contacts.app removed
* iTunes.app removed and the ’Store’ aspect merged with Music.app, TV.app
* Voice Memos.app removed and functionality merged with Notes.app
* Compass.app removed
* Find My Friends.app removed and functionality merged into Messages.app
* Tips.app removed
* Support.app added
* Find my iPhone.app removed and functionality merged into ‘Apple ID’ section in Settings.app
Features
* More advanced password manager
* Radar view in weather added
* Add ‘Trash’ into a new section in the Files.app, and in that section show all ’Recently Deleted’ files from apps that have that feature built in, ex. Notes or Photos
* App Store for Photos.app added, thus allowing users to use third party apps, like photo editing, right in Photos.app
* Flow charts in Notes.app
* Universal apps between iOS and macOS
* Font editor, bullet point creator, etc, added to the keyboard universally
* In multitasking, show a sound icon next to the icon, to indicate that app is playing audio in the background, thus making it clear when you close that app, your audio will be stopped
* Ability to resize images in the Notes.app
* Wallpaper sync through iCloud across devices, (ask)
* If I delete an app on one device it deletes it on all other devices (ask)
* App’s layout on the home screen and folders sync to all other devices
UI/UX
* Mail.app redesigned to be more like Messages.app
* On the status bar, just show your carriers signal strength icon with the WiFi icon, or when WiFi-Calling is enabled, just show the WiFi icon.
* ‘3D Touch’ renamed to Force Touch
* 'Touch Bar' added to the bottom of the screen on the iPhone X. This include the ‘Home Bar’ for exiting or switching apps, it also include the 'Status Bars' that not only displays information but also allows access to Notification Center (left) and Control Center (right)
image.png

* Notifications now show up in the 'Touch Bar' region
IMG_0179.jpg

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Alright I'm bored so I'll post my usual big list of "dreams that may never happen" for future iOS releases. Pick any of them (at least one) and I'm a happy man. No particular order, trying to group them for easier readability:

- Give us a way to lock various parts of the OS via biometric authentication: photo albums (hidden/deleted?), app launch approval, app folders and so on
- Allow us to re-order contact details (I sometimes get a new phone number but have to keep the old one, cut/paste galore instead of allowing me to move a new number up a few slots)
- Add multi-user support to the iPad (I want to use it as a household device)
- Really anything that allows Siri to be smarter, could even allow opt-in for less privacy-style feature sets if it means we get a smarter Siri

The above suggestions are my favorites.

- Automatically fade out the home bar on the X or at least give the option to hide it.
- Allow us to specify what info (and how) we see in the status bar. Pre-X devices have no issue there but the X has less space to show status icons. Apes in generalple should offer an interface similar to the control center one where we can specify what info we want to see (some may want to have the GPS icon permanently hidden, some want battery percentage instead of an icon, some may not want to see the wifi or cellular icon but get a quick glance on whether AirPods are connected or an alarm is set).
- Add the mobile data usage indicator on the X, it was in the leaked FWs but never made it to the official release (a sliding dot above the top right status bar). I'd like to know when background stuff uses my data (example: I somehow had the movie IT download without my approval, cost me 3GB+ of data).
- Venture away from fullscreen alerts. There is no reason a call should lock me out of using my phone, turn it into an overlay we can swipe away to mute.
- Allow us to group notifications, offer APIs so devs can create grouped notifications that expand via 3DTouch (think "You have 5 unread messages from MacRumor User 123.").
- Allow X users to change the 2 haptic buttons on the lock screen. Why is there swipe left to open the camera AND a camera button... ?

I don't have the X, but I like your suggestions for it.

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
Picture-in-picture video playback has to be the one for me. I use it all the time on my iPad to have something streaming from Netflix or Amazon in the corner while I play a game.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
iOS Wishlist
Apps
* Contacts.app removed
* iTunes.app removed and the ’Store’ aspect merged with Music.app, TV.app
* Voice Memos.app removed and functionality merged with Notes.app
* Compass.app removed
* Find My Friends.app removed and functionality merged into Messages.app
* Tips.app removed
* Support.app added
* Find my iPhone.app removed and functionality merged into ‘Apple ID’ section in Settings.app
Features
* More advanced password manager
* Radar view in weather added
* Add ‘Trash’ into a new section in the Files.app, and in that section show all ’Recently Deleted’ files from apps that have that feature built in, ex. Notes or Photos
* App Store for Photos.app added, thus allowing users to use third party apps, like photo editing, right in Photos.app
* Flow charts in Notes.app
* Universal apps between iOS and macOS
* Font editor, bullet point creator, etc, added to the keyboard universally
* In multitasking, show a sound icon next to the icon, to indicate that app is playing audio in the background, thus making it clear when you close that app, your audio will be stopped
* Ability to resize images in the Notes.app
* Wallpaper sync through iCloud across devices, (ask)
* If I delete an app on one device it deletes it on all other devices (ask)
* App’s layout on the home screen and folders sync to all other devices
UI/UX
* Mail.app redesigned to be more like Messages.app
* On the status bar, just show your carriers signal strength icon with the WiFi icon, or when WiFi-Calling is enabled, just show the WiFi icon.
* ‘3D Touch’ renamed to Force Touch
* 'Touch Bar' added to the bottom of the screen on the iPhone X. This include the ‘Home Bar’ for exiting or switching apps, it also include the 'Status Bars' that not only displays information but also allows access to Notification Center (left) and Control Center (right) View attachment 762605
* Notifications now show up in the 'Touch Bar' region
View attachment 762606
This is actually a great list that makes sense. All those little things would make the UX much better rather than adding some pointless "big" features like Animojis, etc. Too bad that Apple will never do this :(

mhuggett

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Prince Edward island
My one and only wish: Desktop mode. Where you can get a dock and use your iphone/ipad as a computer, much like samsung has done with Dex, and Huawei with EMUI Desktop.
Been saying this as a natural evolution since the first iphone appeared all those years ago... Once the iphone from a hardware/software perspective can do 80/90% of what a general purpose computer (laptop/desktop) can do, who needs that foot print anymore. Absolutely sensible and achievable (keeping in mind that specific use cases may require for more... but even that could be address with accessorizing your #palmputer

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I want the ability to set the default microphone source for Siri when streaming music in my car. My car has a crappy built-in bluetooth implementation since it's a few years older that only works with incoming calls but not streaming audio. I bought an adapter that is rated well and generally works pretty well but my iPhone always switches to it for Siri so the crappy tiny pinhole microphone can never hear me properly. It's annoying when driving to have to toggle a bunch of audio inputs for Siri. And when I've looked at the market it seems like every single adapter comes with a crappy pinhole microphone. None of them can do what I want: power on automatically with the car, automatically pair with my iPhone, and not have a microphone that hijiacks the built-in mic on my iPhone X—which can hear me just fine when used with the Qi charging holder mounted to my windshield.

resting

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Not really a iOS 12 feature, but I wish for a dual sim.
Too often we travel abroad and need to swop out our sim card and have to keep our original safe somewhere.
If software can solve the problem that'll be even better.

LtRoyalShrimp

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
SF, CA
Option to stop music from auto-playing when connecting to bluetooth speakers (Like a car stereo)

Every time I turn on my car I music starts playing and its sooo annoying.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Rumor has it, 3D look will come back. Ya!
[doublepost=1527192254][/doublepost]
Option to stop music from auto-playing when connecting to bluetooth speakers (Like a car stereo)

This may have to do with the BT receiver/player, 'cuz I had 2, one does and the other doesn't, same iPhone.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
what I want is:

Siri > So when in the car connected to bluetooth, I want Siri to listen and respond on the phone not the bluetooth. So the ability to change that.

Homekit. > The ability to give guest access to only certain pieces of homekit equipment,. ie no access to camera, and only certain bulbs etc.
[doublepost=1527242843][/doublepost]
I want the ability to set the default microphone source for Siri when streaming music in my car. My car has a crappy built-in bluetooth implementation since it's a few years older that only works with incoming calls but not streaming audio. I bought an adapter that is rated well and generally works pretty well but my iPhone always switches to it for Siri so the crappy tiny pinhole microphone can never hear me properly. It's annoying when driving to have to toggle a bunch of audio inputs for Siri. And when I've looked at the market it seems like every single adapter comes with a crappy pinhole microphone. None of them can do what I want: power on automatically with the car, automatically pair with my iPhone, and not have a microphone that hijiacks the built-in mic on my iPhone X—which can hear me just fine when used with the Qi charging holder mounted to my windshield.

that's what I want, the ability to tell siri to listen and respond on the phone and not the bluetooth,.

Reactions: macduke

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
It would be nice to see Maps get the ability to create multiple points for a route. I want to go to point A then point B, then point C logged in all prior to leaving the start. Being able to do this on the laptop to sync over to the iOS device would be very useful.

And it would be nice to create complex routes on the laptop, in Maps, that you could save for later use granted these options are found in cycling apps but it would be helpful and easier to create if the options were integrated directly into Maps.

cityhunter07

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
PLEASE Apple, make the following dreams come true!

- Add extra numeric row to stock keyboard
- Allow hiding photos from Camera Roll once assigned to an album
- Allow completely turning off wifi/bluetooth radio via Control Centre (via a 3D touch or something)
- Give us cycle counts in battery section

... these are not even new features but just tweaks, this is not too much to ask for.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Kinda still on topic, but I've just switched to Android last week and for the first time I'm happy with the 'other side'. Unless Apple pulls a hail mary I won't be coming back for a long time.

Things like the always on display, chat heads, notifications, home screen launchers, and a file browser are for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.