Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
But the most attractive part of the card to me is the daily cash back. So I plan on signing up for it.

I guess my point wasn't whether people would sign up or not, but the demographic and usage of the Apple Card will be biased towards Apple Pay over the physical card. Meaning that while, yes, not having the physical card does limit transactions to a point, it's not nearly as limited as a traditional credit card would be.

There's another thing at play here that skews Apple Pay usage even higher IMO and that is that the Apple Card is applied for through the Wallet and automatically enrolled in Apple Pay on approval. For all other credit cards the physical card must be obtained and the user must make the effort to manually enroll that card into their Wallet for use with Apple Pay if they decide to do so. That extra step means that millions of people don't use Apple Pay simply because they haven't actually enrolled their card, but by default the Apple Card will be there ready to use.
[doublepost=1562934110][/doublepost]
Unlikley.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I know it's unlikely, but personally I think they should release it today. Amazon Prime Day and Target Deal Days (which accepts Apple Pay) are on Monday and Tuesday, so if I were Apple I would release 12.4/Apple Card before then. Otherwise they'll be losing out on lots of transactions during Back to School, Prime Day, and Deal Days.

Reactions: cableguy84

AhRiHmAn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2016
France
I am now a firm follower of Mlrollin91. He knows the release schedule pretty well. Since releases don't usually come out the same week as a beta, I'll say early next week.

Now the Apple Card may be a bit later, I bet they can enable it server-side at a later point if it's not ready.

This.

I think the release of iOS 12.4 doesn’t need to occur the same day as the release of the card, for this kind of things they usually use the server side switch. The card could arrive in late july or even august...

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
I know it's unlikely, but personally I think they should release it today. Amazon Prime Day and Target Deal Days (which accepts Apple Pay) are on Monday and Tuesday, so if I were Apple I would release 12.4/Apple Card before then. Otherwise they'll be losing out on lots of transactions during Back to School, Prime Day, and Deal Days.

Last year Prime Day as a whole made just over 4 billion dollars[source]. What percentage of Amazon sales do you think Apple is going to grab by releasing the Apple Card and how much does that realistically translate into for Apple? My guess is it'd be less than the amount of money they spent on coffee last month for Apple Park employees.

I'm pretty sure Apple's plan was always to release the card towards the middle of the summer months and let it organically grow until the September/October time frame. After that they can start more targeted promotions to ramp up for the holiday shopping season where the total amount of sales is over a trillion dollars.

M-Life

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Hol-Leawood

Does Amazon take Apple Pay? I've never seen the option on their site.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
When did Amazon start taking Apple Pay?

Reactions: M-Life

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
Last year Prime Day as a whole made just over 4 billion dollars[source]. What percentage of Amazon sales do you think Apple is going to grab by releasing the Apple Card and how much does that realistically translate into for Apple? My guess is it'd be less than the amount of money they spent on coffee last month for Apple Park employees.

I'm pretty sure Apple's plan was always to release the card towards the middle of the summer months and let it organically grow until the September/October time frame. After that they can start more targeted promotions to ramp up for the holiday shopping season where the total amount of sales is over a trillion dollars.

Very little. The Apple Card prestige is the physical card. Signing up just to use the card number online at a single store is not much of a draw. Especially since the card rewards are not that competitive. There are many that offer 2-3% on everything and Amazon's own cards offer 5%. I mentioned a few days ago that I know Apple is still working on the budgeting and transaction classification data. They may release 12.4 and then enable the card a bit later. It all depends on how much of that transaction info needs to be incorporated into iOS itself.
[doublepost=1562953162][/doublepost]
Does Amazon take Apple Pay? I've never seen the option on their site.

They do not, but you can still enter the card number manually for online shopping. They specifically mentioned that in the announcement.

Irishappleuser

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
So is iOS 12.4 a way to round out the devices that won’t be getting iOS 13 ? I mean if you have a device that will get iOS 13 is it worth your while getting iOS 12.4 I’ve a iPhone7 so I know I’ll get iOS 13 but what will iOS 12.4 improve my phone.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I doubt they’re going to release 12.4 and release Apple Card at a later date. If they release iOS 12.4, they’ll release the whole package at once. If Apple Card needed additional testing, they’d keep 12.4 in beta.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I need all 7 of us waiting on 12.4 to cross their fingers and send positive thoughts to make today the day. We can do it!
I’d be on iOS 13 beta if it weren’t for Apple Card, lol. I’m about to drop nearly $3500 on a new laptop, and I want that 3% back.

Yeah you’ll probably be able to sign up on iOS 13 beta too eventually, but I’m not taking that chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.