Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
So with iOS 13 and the native Mail app, the badge icon wouldn't indicate new email that was received from our corporate Exchange email server. New email would arrive, we would receive a lock screen notification, but the badge icon wouldn't change reflecting the new mail. That is, until you opened up the Mail app and it looked like the mail app downloaded the message just then and there instead of downloading in the background.

Now with iOS 13.1 the badge icon for Mail app finally seems to be updating correctly and right away as new mail arrives from our Exchange server. However, new email is definitely not downloading in the background, instead it downloads when you open the Mail app. To test, I sent myself an email message to my corporate Exchange email account. I received the notification for the test email, and before I opened the Mail app to see the message I put my iPhone into Airplane mode. When I opened the Mail app while in airplane mode I didn't see the test message I sent myself. The test message was only downloaded once Airplane mode was deactivated and I re-opened the Mail app. The expected behaviour would be that as soon as the new mail notification went off, the mail should have already been downloaded to the device before I put the phone into Airplane mode.

Apple says this issue was corrected in the release notes for iOS 13.1. Can anyone else confirm you're having the same issue with Mail as we are? Once again, in this particular case I'm connecting to an Exchange server for mail.

Thanks,

Josh

Reactions: thewhitehart

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Can anyone comment on this issue? Anyone else still experiencing it?

lansa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
So with iOS 13 and the native Mail app, the badge icon wouldn't indicate new email that was received from our corporate Exchange email server. New email would arrive, we would receive a lock screen notification, but the badge icon wouldn't change reflecting the new mail. That is, until you opened up the Mail app and it looked like the mail app downloaded the message just then and there instead of downloading in the background.

Now with iOS 13.1 the badge icon for Mail app finally seems to be updating correctly and right away as new mail arrives from our Exchange server. However, new email is definitely not downloading in the background, instead it downloads when you open the Mail app. To test, I sent myself an email message to my corporate Exchange email account. I received the notification for the test email, and before I opened the Mail app to see the message I put my iPhone into Airplane mode. When I opened the Mail app while in airplane mode I didn't see the test message I sent myself. The test message was only downloaded once Airplane mode was deactivated and I re-opened the Mail app. The expected behaviour would be that as soon as the new mail notification went off, the mail should have already been downloaded to the device before I put the phone into Airplane mode.

Apple says this issue was corrected in the release notes for iOS 13.1. Can anyone else confirm you're having the same issue with Mail as we are? Once again, in this particular case I'm connecting to an Exchange server for mail. Also, no longer getting audible notifications when new mail comes in. Its a complete mess.

Thanks,

Josh
Using Exchange mail account, since upgrading to iOS 13, my email body no longer downloads. The headers show up but when trying to open an email it just gets stuck at "downloading". Was hoping this would get fixed with 13.1 but no luck. Major problem as I cant read any of my emails. Hosted with AWS Workmail if that helps.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Can anyone comment on this issue? Anyone else still experiencing it?
I am having the same problems. 13.1 did not fix any of the problems with exchange. Emails are not showing up. If I read an email it still shows unread. If I forward an email sometimes it will forward the attachment other times it will not. The mail program is unusable for me right now with exchange.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
I am having the same problems. 13.1 did not fix any of the problems with exchange. Emails are not showing up. If I read an email it still shows unread. If I forward an email sometimes it will forward the attachment other times it will not. The mail program is unusable for me right now with exchange.

Thanks to all who replied. Good to know that we’re not the only ones having issues. I’m going to file a bug report via the Apple Developer Program tomorrow. I’m sure there’s probably a big open but it doesn’t hurt to file.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Thanks to all who replied. Good to know that we’re not the only ones having issues. I’m going to file a bug report via the Apple Developer Program tomorrow. I’m sure there’s probably a big open but it doesn’t hurt to file.
That would be great. I wonder how long until they take notice and fix it?? I had to unbox my XS max, downgrade to 12.4.1 and am using that until they fix the OS and I can use the 11 pro max again. Very frustrating.

Reactions: newellj

drmorley

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Chicago

Apple says this issue was corrected in the release notes for iOS 13.1. Can anyone else confirm you're having the same issue with Mail as we are? Once again, in this particular case I'm connecting to an Exchange server for mail.

Thanks,

Josh

It’s better with 13.1, but email messages are not all downloading in the background. I’ve got two Exchange accounts and often I’ll get a blank space where an email should be in the native mail app.
I haven’t tried using the Outlook app, but might have to try if this is not resolved soon.

iEric007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Orange County, California
For what it’s worth, I am having the same issue with my exchange account. I am also havnig scaling issues on responsive emails containing our company signature. Never had this problem before in prior iOS versions so I am presuming it is a bug with iOS 13 and iOS 13.1.

Reactions: lansa

lansa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
How Apple can screw up such a core, necessary app over the course of two months of beta testing is beyond me. They’re a trillion dollar company. They’re in their own category.
My thoughts exactly. My email is unusable right now. Didn't they test for this ahead of release? They have unlimited resources! In addition to not being able to download emails, I keep getting multiple notifications for the same emails over and over. What a fiasco.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
My thoughts exactly. My email is unusable right now. Didn't they test for this ahead of release? They have unlimited resources! In addition to not being able to download emails, I keep getting multiple notifications for the same emails over and over. What a fiasco.

Unfortunately it seems as though they really botched up these first two releases (13 and 13.1). It’s really disappointing to get a new iPhone 11 Pro and have it come with software in the current state that it is. It has led to a very disappointing experience.

Frankl2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Durham, NC

Thanks,

Josh
Also having problems with native mail ap - very slow to download emails headers and then very slow to download the body of emails. I had none of these problems before installing iOS 13.

Trepanator

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
For what it’s worth, I haven’t had any issues with the Exchange server I am forced to use for my work email. In fact, my phone has been my primary email handler since 13.0b8.

I wouldn’t be surprised if our IT department isn’t running an out of date version of the exchange server that somehow has avoided these issues. For reference, we just completed migration to Windows 10 this month!

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
On my old XS running Beta 4, I never experienced any email issues with Edison Mail. It wasn't till I swapped my 11 Pro. On a side note however, Outlook has worked without issues, showing the badge count and notifications on the lock screen. Spent the evening trying out various email programs, and I will say that most experience the issue of not showing either the badges or the lock screen notifications. Pretty sad that this has somehow gotten through beta and into a released version.

I am happy to report that PolyMail works as it should though, showing the correct badges and notifications? Doesn't make sense for sure, and why on earth Apple's own internal client is so F'ed up is beyond belief...

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Updated to 13.1 yesterday and definitely not having this issue. I use office 365 so my email is hosted by Microsoft.

Give it time, it will probably start to happen to you. My iCloud mail seemed to be working fine, downloading when the notification came in. Then after a day or so my iCloud mail downloads when I start the Mail app, it's not downloading on the notification. This morning I received iCloud mail that didn't trigger a lock screen notification or a badge app icon - it showed up when I opened the app.

Josh

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
For what it is worth I just got off the phone with Rackspace tech support. They are one of the largest Office 365 hosting companies i believe. It seems all their devices with iOS 13.1.1 all have issues with exchange notifications. Maybe stating the obvious but clearly an apple mail issue if the Outlook app works fine. I just don't understand how this is not a priority.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
For what it is worth I just got off the phone with Rackspace tech support. They are one of the largest Office 365 hosting companies i believe. It seems all their devices with iOS 13.1.1 all have issues with exchange notifications. Maybe stating the obvious but clearly an apple mail issue if the Outlook app works fine. I just don't understand how this is not a priority.

It seems like Apple’s priority right now is in helping people take better selfies and night mode photos. Not in helping companies and their employees stay productive with a working mobile email client.

lansa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
In addition to my mail not being usable, contacts have now been randomly disappearing. This has never happened before. Now I have unknown people calling me and then come to realize they are my clients. As someone stated here, Apple has been putting all their resources into taking Slofies. Email and contacts...who needs 'em?

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
Same exact problem. I get the preview on my lock screen and the badge works now on 13.1, but when I open the app I have to wait a second or two for the mail to download and appear. Hope it is fixed soon.

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Same exact problem. I get the preview on my lock screen and the badge works now on 13.1, but when I open the app I have to wait a second or two for the mail to download and appear. Hope it is fixed soon.
At least you get notifications. Are you using exchange in an office 365 environment by any chance ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.