Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siglr

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
First, it’s sad to see that people mix up different problems in the same thread. This thread’s title is ‘iOS 13.1 New email notification working but email not background downloading’. We know the Mail app may be currently crap for all sorts of reasons, but this thread should only talk about the specific problem of getting email notifications but no email downloading and displayed in the actual app, unless forcing a manual update.

What we can say about this problem is that it does not only relate to Exchange, as people are having this exact same problem with all kind of email setup. Myself included.

Nothing has been fixed yet in regard to this specific problem, which does generate a lot of frustration because it worked before iOS 13.

If anybody has an update on THIS SPECIFIC problem, please let us know because we’re all eager to solve this.

Thank you

Reactions: thewhitehart

Juan Herrero

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
iOS/iPadOS 13.2.3 still hasn't solved the email downloading problem. I still get notifications for emails which have not downloaded. It is ridiculous to tell me that I have emails waiting, when it's me who has to wait for them!!

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
iOS/iPadOS 13.2.3 still hasn't solved the email downloading problem. I still get notifications for emails which have not downloaded. It is ridiculous to tell me that I have emails waiting, when it's me who has to wait for them!!
You’re not going crazy, dude. Apple has enjoyed gaslighting its users lately into imagining this has always been normal behavior for its Mail app.

Reactions: tspear8183

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I'm dealing with Exchange (Office 365) issues for a client with an iPhone 11 Pro and iPad Pro 12.9 (3rd gen) (both running 13.2.3).
I was able to get the iPad to work by asking the Admin to remove all mobile devices from the account, deleting the account on the device, and removing/reinstalling the Mail app after a reboot.
Also, instead of using the standard protocol, I used their EAS Server: eas.outlook.com

As far as the iPhone, it connects and syncs some messages at first, and then gives an error: (Unable to connect to server). The highlight is that it never appears as a mobile device!

if this is due to a corrupted account, making a backup of your messages, deleting the account and creating a new account should solve the issue.
I don't believe iOS 13 is 100% at fault, otherwise a lot more people would be having this problem (my client is the only one in the company having this problem).

Reactions: tspear8183

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Same issues still present even with exchange. According to the latest video from Aaron at Zollotech the latest beta seems to fix it. Fingers Crossed.

Reactions: scouser75

Tdoyle

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Can anyone comment on this issue? Anyone else still experiencing it?
Hi, is anyone still having problems with IOS receiving new Mail notifications but Mail app is not background downloading emails. This has been a source of frustration in IOS 13 and I have found it has not been resolved in IOS 14 beta 4

Tdoyle

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
I’m still experiencing it. Hoping iOS 14 GM fixes it.
Sorry to break it to you, but IOS14 doesn’t resolve this issue. I’m on the developer program and running the final beta and the issue still exists. I raised it as a bug and sent some details but it appears that Mail is being prevented from doing background updates the same as third party apps such as Outlook. Unfortunately it is here to stay now. I’ve now migrated to Outlook as it updates much quicker at least.

Reactions: scouser75

iEric007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Orange County, California
Sorry to break it to you, but IOS14 doesn’t resolve this issue. I’m on the developer program and running the final beta and the issue still exists. I raised it as a bug and sent some details but it appears that Mail is being prevented from doing background updates the same as third party apps such as Outlook. Unfortunately it is here to stay now. I’ve now migrated to Outlook as it updates much quicker at least.

So it's weird. I updated to iOS14 and it seems to be working consistently. It's been 4-5 days and this issue appears to finally have gone away. Could it just be me? Or did your reporting of the bug at the end finally work?

amityweb

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Wales
Sorry for resurfacing an old thread but does anyone still have the issue? I do, using several email clients and several different email providers. Edison mail support claim it should work, so they're not sure. I'm wondering if it's an issue my end. I'm on iOS 17.3.1.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Sorry for resurfacing an old thread but does anyone still have the issue? I do, using several email clients and several different email providers. Edison mail support claim it should work, so they're not sure. I'm wondering if it's an issue my end. I'm on iOS 17.3.1.
No issues now. All is working well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.