Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I’ve done extensive testing with the wireless on and off and when I see the notification and the mails are not there I just force close the app and open it and they are there instantly. This is clearly some sort of display bug. I’m sure the emails are there when you get the notification they are just not displaying until you wait, pull down several times, or force close the app. Other times they are there.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Whenever i get a notification that i have a new email and open the App the email is not there. I have to refresh the folder and then again it takes a few seconds for the email to appear although i previously got a notification with a preview of the email.

Anyone else have this issue? I am on 13.1.3. Anyone testing 13.2 know if this is fixed?

Thanks.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
When it happens again force close the mail app and reopen it and see if they are there.

Whenever i get a notification that i have a new email and open the App the email is not there. I have to refresh the folder and then again it takes a few seconds for the email to appear although i previously got a notification with a preview of the email.

Anyone else have this issue? I am on 13.1.3. Anyone testing 13.2 know if this is fixed?

Thanks.

Reactions: AntonisCy

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not fixed for me. It wasn't among the list of items fixed in .3 so ... I would think this is one of the important issues so I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet but...

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019

Thanks.
Still not fixed even with 13.3 beta 3.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Is the Mail app in 13.2 b3 any better than in 13.1.3 release?
When I tried the mail app in 13.2 b2 it was much worse than 13.1.2 release.........
About the same. forwarding Emails is better but still missing notifications and when I read and delete it will still show unread.

SeeGeeAitch

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
Australia
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I found today that if you hit the filter at bottom left (set to show only unread) then the messages appear instantly.
That suggests to me that the messages HAVE been downloaded, they are just not showing in the inbox immediately for some reason....

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
About the same. forwarding Emails is better but still missing notifications and when I read and delete it will still show unread.
Update. Since last evening and through now the native email app has been working for me. Not perfect, but working. I was having an issue with my iCloud account always showing "Checking for mail...", but since last evening it has been working okay. Notifications in Lock Screen, and also Notification center. I wonder if Apple is working on stuff at their end? Oh yes, I am using release version of iOS 13.1.3 (- NOT 13.2b3).

Sportcat

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Anderson, SC
Still not working for me. No notifications show up in the Lock Screen. Testing with native Mail app and Outlook app. University uses Office 365.

This is beyond frustrating. 13.1.3 did not solve this. All other notifications work fine.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Update. Since last evening and through now the native email app has been working for me. Not perfect, but working. I was having an issue with my iCloud account always showing "Checking for mail...", but since last evening it has been working okay. Notifications in Lock Screen, and also Notification center. I wonder if Apple is working on stuff at their end? Oh yes, I am using release version of iOS 13.1.3 (- NOT 13.2b3).
Update 2. 24 hours or so later. Native Mail app on iOS 13.1.3 still much better than it ever has been on any version of iOS 13 that I have been on, and that's all of them except for 13.2b3. It is nowhere near perfect, but for me it pushes mail as it comes in on both Exchange and iCloud. Sometimes hangs still on the iCloud account, but not on Exchange. Notifications are coming in, but not always on time.
Quick question (I don't remember!) Prior behavior on iOS 12 notifications. Tapping on an email notification on the lock screen - did it take you to the actual email in iOS 12? And did the actual notification automatically get removed from the Notification Center/Lock Screen once you had actually viewed the email, in the app itself?

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Update 2. 24 hours or so later. Native Mail app on iOS 13.1.3 still much better than it ever has been on any version of iOS 13 that I have been on, and that's all of them except for 13.2b3. It is nowhere near perfect, but for me it pushes mail as it comes in on both Exchange and iCloud. Sometimes hangs still on the iCloud account, but not on Exchange. Notifications are coming in, but not always on time.
Quick question (I don't remember!) Prior behavior on iOS 12 notifications. Tapping on an email notification on the lock screen - did it take you to the actual email in iOS 12? And did the actual notification automatically get removed from the Notification Center/Lock Screen once you had actually viewed the email, in the app itself?
Nothing is better for me. Still getting constant "Account Error" notices for both my GMail (G Suite) and work Exchange accounts. I've taken to using Outlook for mail in the meantime. Really wondering why I didn't stick with Android at this point, to be honest. Email is the second most important thing I use my phone for and for a default app to such a hot mess is just unacceptable.

Reactions: fastbagger

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Really not better for me. It's very inconsistent. I'd say it works as expected maybe 25% of the time, which is a problem.

My recollection was that in 12, when you tapped on the notification, it took you to individual email, rather than the app. I could be mis-remembering, though.

v386

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2019
I have had the same issue. I made some progress yesterday on this so joined this forum just to add my 2c. My symptom was that I had to check mail in the foreground in order to get email messages, mail wouldn't be waiting for me when I started the mail app it would always check in the foreground and then appear. In battery settings mail consistently showed zero background activity since moving to 13.1 (it used to be 20-30% typically). My mail notifications were set up to not have any sounds or vibrations for any of mail mail accounts. Yesterday I changed this to give a tiny vibration blip for each mail account. Presto - for the first time since updating mail was showing background activity and I would get the vibration blips and mail was waiting for me when I checked the app (it still checks again in the foreground but there's typically nothing more to load). Hypothetically this could be an optimization for battery where knowing that all other notifications require waking up the phone, mail doesn't do background checks for email unless there is a sound/vibration notification associated with it.

groovypants

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
Apparently, the following had "magically" fixed this issue for one of our iOS 13.x users. I'm unable to re-produce this issue on my own devices but if anyone could confirm the following "workaround" - that would be appreciated :)

- Load Mail app's home screen - I guess this would be the "Mailboxes" page

- Tap on Edit

- Un-tick (un-check) the problematic inbox

- Tap on Done

- Tap on Edit again

- Re-tick (re-check) the problematic inbox

- Tap on Done

- Kill Mail, re-launch Mail - and test :)

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Apparently, the following had "magically" fixed this issue for one of our iOS 13.x users. I'm unable to re-produce this issue on my own devices but if anyone could confirm the following "workaround" - that would be appreciated :)

- Load Mail app's home screen - I guess this would be the "Mailboxes" page

- Tap on Edit

- Un-tick (un-check) the problematic inbox

- Tap on Done

- Tap on Edit again

- Re-tick (re-check) the problematic inbox

- Tap on Done

- Kill Mail, re-launch Mail - and test :)
I had my fingers crossed but it did not work for me. Thanks for the trying.

pacpac2017

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Just noticed this thread, so posting here too:

I have had issues on my XS on 13, now on 13.1.3 (ever since 12.4.1) regarding e-mails (two Exchange accounts, Office 365) not downloading in the background, both using the stock mail app and Outlook. I am now using Outlook on my XS and Macbook and Mac mini, both on Catalina.

In Outlook (the stock mail app might have similar settings) on both the Macbook and Mac mini, I went to Outlook - Preferences - Email - Reading, then under 'Mark emails as read', ticked 'Only when opened in separate window', kept the two other alternatives unchecked. Restartet Outlook on the desktops and on the XS.

For the last 1-2 days e-mails coming in on my XS are notified perfectly fine, downloaded in the background, i.e. no delay/issues in e-mail flow. Also, all is fine on both the Macbook and Mac mini. Hoping it will last....

In case you are running Outlook on a PC, you might try the same there. If no other Outlook connecting to your mail accounts, I have no suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.