Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The internal Apple employees all use IMAP mail in iCloud. And I’m guessing most public beta users are consumers do not use Exchange. Many Corp device users on exchange are probably prohibited from installing beta software. That’s probably why few if any users reported these problems.
I get this with an Exchange account a gmail account and my icloud one - isn't just 1 type of email.

bobcpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
I get this with an Exchange account a gmail account and my icloud one - isn't just 1 type of email.
I am one of those folks that has not upgraded to IOS 13 because of the various email issues, whether with Exchange or otherwise. IOS 13.1.3 was just released and am curious if this corrected the mail issues that people in this tread have been talking about

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
I am one of those folks that has not upgraded to IOS 13 because of the various email issues, whether with Exchange or otherwise. IOS 13.1.3 was just released and am curious if this corrected the mail issues that people in this tread have been talking about
Still not working

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
I have a work Exchange email account and an iCloud account. On IOS 13.1.3 now, although I experienced the same behavior as on previous release and beta versions of IOS.
Exchange account is working perfectly for me, iCloud hangs on "checking for mail..." most of the time. Occasionally it will resolve after 30 seconds or so, but more than often I have to close the Mail app, wait 20 seconds, then reopen the app for it to (maybe) resolve.
Again, this is only with the iCloud account, so it is not Exchange causing the issue.

Grrrr, come on Apple, these are release versions of your software. They must have changed their policy regarding what is okay to release - if they continue to allow these mail bugs in release versions, they will end up losing their good reputation. Sad.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have a work Exchange email account and an iCloud account. On IOS 13.1.3 now, although I experienced the same behavior as on previous release and beta versions of IOS.
Exchange account is working perfectly for me, iCloud hangs on "checking for mail..." most of the time. Occasionally it will resolve after 30 seconds or so, but more than often I have to close the Mail app, wait 20 seconds, then reopen the app for it to (maybe) resolve.
Again, this is only with the iCloud account, so it is not Exchange causing the issue.

Grrrr, come on Apple, these are release versions of your software. They must have changed their policy regarding what is okay to release - if they continue to allow these mail bugs in release versions, they will end up losing their good reputation. Sad.

I think my Exchange mail account is now notifying normally, including sounds (vibe). I want to see it work properly for a few days before I believe those bugs are fixed.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Considering how long Mail has been broken in regards to pushing messages properly, could it be that Apple has changed the way it handles push tokens? I.e., could it be a server-side issue with Apple?

I’m guessing it’s the app being buggy. I’m no expert on the tech used for push, so it’d be cool if someone familiar with it could chime in.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
It worked briefly yesterday but this morning I awoke to 7 new mail notifications in the lock screen, the badge also showed the correct number. But when I opened mail there was nothing there, it sat on “checking mail” for a solid minute before they appeared in the inbox. Definitely still broken. This is with office 365 and I had just reinstalled the mail account yesterday and hard rebooted the device too. Well good thing I’ve already moved on to outlook. Maybe by iOS 14 they’ll figure out how to mess up the Messages app too!

Reactions: WannaGoMac

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
After upgrading to 13.1.3 last night (and things still not working for O365/Exchange), I started getting mail notifications about an hour ago.

Will keep an eye on it through the day, but for every Outlook notification (which I had turned on because I was missing emails), I am seeing its proper twin notification in Mail.app come through.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Dear lord wtf did Apple do to mess up mail??? I don’t even see any substantial changes in it other than moving things that were one press into sub menus so now take multiple presses.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Update didn’t fix it for imap email. Exchange may be fixed.

I posted last night that I was cautiously optimistic that my Exchange/Mail problems were fixed. Well, they aren't.
[automerge]1571232573[/automerge]
Dear lord wtf did Apple do to mess up mail??? I don’t even see any substantial changes in it other than moving things that were one press into sub menus so now take multiple presses.

Mail doesn't rate in the Apple ecosystem any more. They want to sell us TV+ and Music and Arcade. Who the **** needs archaic, unprofitable functions like Mail or Messages in a service subscription eco-economy?
[automerge]1571232708[/automerge]
Exchange definitely still broken.
Yep, still broken.

Sadly and very annoyingly, this is true.

Broken in 13.0.
Broken in 13.1.
Broken in 13.1.1.
Broken in 13.1.2.

Broken in 13.1.3.

Is there a trend here?

There certainly seems to be.

Reactions: WannaGoMac

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I posted last night that I was cautiously optimistic that my Exchange/Mail problems were fixed. Well, they aren't.
[automerge]1571232573[/automerge]

Mail doesn't rate in the Apple ecosystem any more. They want to sell us TV+ and Music and Arcade. Who the **** needs archaic, unprofitable functions like Mail or Messages in a service subscription eco-economy?
[automerge]1571232708[/automerge]

Sadly and very annoyingly, this is true.

Broken in 13.0.
Broken in 13.1.
Broken in 13.1.1.
Broken in 13.1.2.

Broken in 13.1.3.

Is there a trend here?

There certainly seems to be.

Is the solution to just use a third-party email? I just prefer the Apple Mail, and not having unnecessary apps just for email

edit. problem solved, I just installed Gmail and deleted mail app.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Is the solution to just use a third-party email? I just prefer the Apple Mail, and not having unnecessary apps just for email

I looked into that with our IT people. We use "Hub" (used to be AirWatch) to manage corporate email, and the only mail client that is supported is the native Mail app.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I looked into that with our IT people. We use "Hub" (used to be AirWatch) to manage corporate email, and the only mail client that is supported is the native Mail app.

oh hadnt thought of that will try outlook now

Teledatageek

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Upstate New York
I'm going to retract my earlier statement. Worked a couple of times and now just like it was before - in fact worse I think. I was also wondering about Outlook and why more don't use it? I know I have tried in the past but didn't like it for some reason that I can't recall any more. It doesn't seem to show a message count like the native mail app does - maybe a setting? That could be my reason!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
oh hadnt thought of that will try outlook now

Very oddly (to me), Outlook is not supported for our Exchange mail servers, in spite of the fact that we use Office 365 for Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. on our corporate PCs and (other than Outlook) on our mobile devices.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
After upgrading to 13.1.3 last night (and things still not working for O365/Exchange), I started getting mail notifications about an hour ago.

Will keep an eye on it through the day, but for every Outlook notification (which I had turned on because I was missing emails), I am seeing its proper twin notification in Mail.app come through.
And then it stopped working again just now. Grrrr.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Very oddly (to me), Outlook is not supported for our Exchange mail servers, in spite of the fact that we use Office 365 for Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. on our corporate PCs and (other than Outlook) on our mobile devices.

I tried to use Outlook but for some reason I can’t login to my work account on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.