Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
known issue ... web is full of complaints. since 13.3 was released, it has been the same .. when using the phone, i literally see the battery going down like a ticking clock. here is the screenshot of my 6s+

0f73d8113a319a9898b793f61ca8ee75.jpg

no screentime, no app activity and it is draining. it took 27 hours to drain from 100% to 0% with no activity. and when using the phone, better to keep it charging!

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I just checked my usage. It’s been 8 days since my update and restore as new and I’m averaging ~5 hours on a full charge. That’s a lot less than on iOS 12 where it was 7-8 hours. Battery diagnostics don’t show a problem with the hardware. I’m using the same apps as on iOS 12.

Reactions: JamiLynee

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I had been having battery drain issues on iPadOS with my 11" Pro probably since about 13.2--nothing I did fixed it. I finally resorted to doing a DFU restore and NOT restoring from any backups afterwards and that mostly fixed it but not all the way. It still has moments here and there where it will jump down a bit for unexplained reasons, but that only happens every few days now.

My theory after a lot of troubleshooting is that 13.3 and the couple of versions before it as well are bad at going into deep sleep mode after the screen is off. Most of my excessive drain seemed to happen in the first couple of hours of standby and then would calm down after that. That's still the case now, even after my DFU restore, but I tend to only lose 2-3% during the night as opposed to the 15% or more I was losing before the restore.

Reactions: nick_iphone7

Urb

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
My battery performance has pretty much went to **** with the most recent beta as well... I typically wait until beta 2-3 before I become one of the beta guinea pigs but, I inadvertently updated #MyBad! I did the dummy and updated my watch too so now neither my watch or my phone last longer than about 8-10 hours on a single charge. Strangely, I think the problem lies in a coding error for standby mode. No matter if I actively use my phone for 1 hour or 4 hours I get the same battery life. Hopefully the engineers will come back after the break rejuvenated and ready to fix the issues with this release. So much for pushing teams to deliver a release right before a break! They really could have let it ride until they resumed business in January! But I'm sure they were pressured to get this release out before EOY!

It is what it is... Just gotta carry an extra batter pack around for the next couple of weeks! Just wish there was a way to rollback the WatchOS update! I can manage one of them being dead but both at the same time is an inconvenience!

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
iPhone SE with 13.3. Absolutely horrendous battery life, and had the battery replaced around 14 months ago. Can watch the percent drop in front of my eyes. Can’t stomach paying for another replacement, will ride it out until iPhone 12.

newbienew

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
After upgrade to IOS 13.3. My iPhone XS (GREY BLACK) was a totally nightmare.

My battery keep on draining even single minute, even it's on standby mode. I attempt to restore via iTunes in DFU mode, without any luck.

- Battery health is at 93 %, and I feel the phone is overheating after the upgrade

- After restore 'Face ID is not Available' You can set up Face ID Later when iPhone cool down

Even if I manage to set up the Face ID successfully, it's intermittent working. Messaged reflect on the 'Face ID will be available, when iPhone cool down'

I pop into apple store, they claimed hardware is all perfectly fine. But detected error in the sensor issue. They cannot promise me by changing the battery will resolve this issue, it can be damage of the circuit board after firmware upgrade. They also denied downgrade the firmware version.

- I disabled face ID function, the battery keep on draining.

Apple is relatively unreliable these days, they are moving backwards. Counter staff having poor knowledge from technical perspective, unable to attention to my queries and attempt to cover up the story by up selling their new products only

To conclude this drama, they in store staff unable to rectify and confirm with me by changing hardware or battery will resolve the issue. But they remain silent and denied the software issue. They even ask me to fork out 800 bucks to get the phone a replacement change.

If you look into online, there are tons of people facing the same issue. I had my phone charged to 100 %, on airplane mode, low battery and Wi-Fi on. Background apps is all killed, 5 hours down the road on standby, my phone were battery slash to half , I wish I could revert older version.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
My battery was magnificent on iOS 13.2 but after updating to 13.3 im noticing the drop. Here is hoping they fix it on 13.3.1...

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I am not happy with the battery life either.

On my ipad it really drains faster, not so much in standby, but even there i strangely have drains once in a while, while on some days i only lose 1% if any, and on others it loses between 4-8% in sleep mode.

During usage it drains much faster when using Safari or maybe the Youtube App. I don’t know why, because the webpages i visit did not change from when i visited them with ios 12. So there must be a problem with the ios 13, i think it is in connection to the bad ram management.

Closing and restarting apps does take more energy then just sending them to sleep, and almost each time i get out of Safari to use an app maybe or go into email, when i go back it has to reload maybe not the main tab, but every additional tab is closed most of the time and needs a reload. Under 12 it never showed this behavior, so it is not a problem of less ram, but of bad implementing or coding of the OS, what somehow needs more resources and steals it from the apps, which normally would run pretty fine with the given hardware.

Same goes even for the photos app. Just when you close it with a single picture you watch or even just the overview, when you get back to the photos app, it completely restarts if you only wait a short moment or opened something else in between. I never had this under 12, photos app was rock solid staying in memory, same for Safari tabs, if not too many.

It feels like the whole system is busy in background with closing and starting apps and services like mad and this takes power from the processor obviously. I even realize that when watching youtube. The video is played fluent, but every once in a while you see it struggle a little, not in kind of frame drops, but you see the processor is close to his limit. Something happens in the background, but i don’t know what.

bvz

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
I’ve just switched from Android (got an iPhone 11). My hope is that this phone will last a fair bit longer than my previous pixel (which was dropped after two years of ownership).

That phone was perfectly fine until the very last OS update which killed the battery (my wife’s pixel XL was unaffected).

So now I’m gun shy about updates.

So now I’d like to test my battery before and after each update and record the results. This is to avoid all the usual “it’s just in your head“ comments that inevitably come with concerns about updates and battery life.

Is there an app that anyone can suggest that can test the battery and record the results? Specifically I’m looking for a way to have a controlled (but real world) scenario in which the battery can be tested such that I can be sure of like vs. like comparisons. That would imply that all network services would be on, but that all other apps would be off, and then the testing app would run through a suite of steps designed to mimic real world usage. These results should then be more or less comparable to each other to see if there is a noticeable drop in battery performance from one run to the next.

Last edited:

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I can report that on my iphone 6s, on a new iphone 7 battery, I don't notice a difference between 12.4.1 and 13.3. I compared geekbench 4 (exactly same battery life - 3:44!), idle drop (runs 7 hours in standby without losing 1%), and over-day usage, where I can get about 3:15-3:40 of screen-on-time as shown in the battery app for the last day. All is exactly the same between 12.4.1 and 13.3.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
My new iPhone 11 is fine on 13.3, but my wife's 6s is really suffering. It's only since the update, but the battery charges fully and discharges (according to the percentage) in about 3 hours without any significant use. If you do a full reset of the phone when battery saving kicks in, the phone returns to between 60-80% battery, but then drops like a sunset. I have checked everything I can think of. There are no apps sucking the battery in the background; the most used app is the native email client. Battery health shows 92%. This update is no good for older phones... or at least, isn't good for this particular one. I will be taking it to Apple to see what they say. It's all but rendered the phone useless for her. :(

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
This is interesting. can you try charging in the evening, unplugging when full, and letting it sit idle till the morning and check how much battery it used? Also, what is "without any significant use"? Maybe you can post a screenshot of the battery screen?

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'll see what I can post by way of follow up when I've got something more. I don't have access to the phone until this evening, when I *hope* I can take it to the Apple store to have it looked at.

By "significant use" I mean that my wife isn't really what you'd call a power user. She writes some email, updates a note or two, and sends iMessages to myself and her sister periodically throughout the day. She might take a photo or two of our daughter in the evening if she does something cute. It's not anything that should (or historically has) drained her battery in a matter of a couple hours.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I have a little bit of follow up on my issue, for those of you who may be interested:

TL;DR:
  • iOS 13.3 was not to blame (at least, not directly)
  • Older iPhones may benefit from the occasional clean out
  • Do not fill your phone's drive to absolute capacity without expecting consequences

The rest:

I took my wife's 6S which was draining battery like no one's business after the update to the Apple store for some diagnostics. The short of it is that the update doesn't seem to have been the cause. I suppose it may have done some kind of system juggling that then somehow buggered things up, but the OS itself seems to be fine.

When a diagnostic was run, the hardware came out clean, so the technician helpfully looked into the software and it seems the phone had a couple of issues that "made no sense". One was that the multitasking 'card view' was creating two separate stacks behind the scenes which were eating up resources as the system tried to maintain them. These additional stacks should not have been created at all, never mind maintained, and so that was a pretty big suck of resources. The memory was also doing some kind of refresh behind the scenes at intervals that it shouldn't have been doing. Apparently according to the logs this problem has been happening for over a year with this device, and doing that will slow it and consume more resources for essentially no reason that the technician could see (as stated, the hardware came out clean). So these issues were probably specific to this particular iPhone.

Finally, there were two rather large system files just kind of hanging out on the phone. These could be seen at the very bottom of the iPhone storage screen in settings, one titled "System" and the other titled "Other". According to the technician there was some kind of disconnect between the size of these files and what their function is. Together they totaled nearly 10GB of phone storage, which apparently is excessive.

All of these issues, I was told, would be solved by restoring the iPhone using iTunes. I was assured that if I did an encrypted backup and restored from that backup after restoring the original OS software, that all would be well. So, I went home and hooked up the iPhone to the Mac for the first time since late 2018.

Having completed the process (took a while), with only a few hours of actual use, I can say that the phone is indeed much happier, and the battery drain issue appears to have resolved, although I won't be able to say for sure until I get a report on how the day went. Still, the first couple hours seemed quite reasonable, with the phone losing only 3% power in the first couple hours of today.

The consequence of this was that in spite of being assured that everything would return to exactly where it was, my wife still needed to re-designate her fingerprints for the sensor, and she noted that the phone seems to have forgotten everything it learned about her typing patterns (i.e. the suggested words banner when entering text no longer predicted the same words it has for years). Otherwise, all seems pretty decent.

A little postscript here is that after I got through with my wife's phone, I checked my own iPhone 11 for the huge system files. They exist on my phone too. "System" and "Other" are both around 6Gig, so that made me wonder what exactly these files are doing there. An internet search provided the following possible answer.

In the case of my wife's phone, her storage was creeping up close to the limit of the device (photos+kids=storage disaster), so having less space on the SSD to work with also made for the phone having to work harder and less space to do things which I assume impacts performance and battery life. So, for those of you with similar issues, clearing this out might be helpful.

Reactions: Populus and bvz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.