Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I see reports of battery issues with the upgrade to 13.5, while so, experience suggests 1-2 weeks this will settle out, improve to the same as 13.4.1 which for my 8 has not been bad.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Apple mail app performance with updates to new messages to the INBOX after a pull down. This seems to be an issues since iOS 13 but this issue does not exist on iOS 12.x.x.

Thanks in advance.

My battery definitely is worse than 13.4.1, so much so that I feel like I’m changing some habits like closing out apps. Noticing more drain overnight on my iPhone 11 Pro Max & my IPP2018, and the battery settings say the culprit is the Music app running in the background....when the Music app wasn’t even open at all.

The Mail app has so much potential, and all that it really needs to do is stay consistent. And work. I mean, it’s an email app and it’s 2020. We don’t all need our mail app to mimic Slack or some other social media app. It’s just email. Keep it simple and make it work.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Have you turned off background app refresh for music and see if made a difference?

But then when I DO want to listen to music and the lock screen comes on, it won’t play. And in my case, the app isn’t even open in the background when this is happening anyway.

MJ0778

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Bremen, Germany
Same here. There are some random apps in the background draining the batterie even if I turned off the background refresh. To kicking the apps out by multitasking is finish the draining.
But, what's even worst is that Siri is every night draining my batterie between 5-10%. I had this issue weeks ago, but it stoped. After iOS 13.5 it starts again. If this means after every iOS update Siri is draining the system for weeks, this sucks!

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
On my ipad i got a huge battery drain too.
Last night i had about 9% battery left and when i wanted to check emails in the morning before reloading the battery, the ipad had already shut down because of empty battery.

I can see about 6–10% drain per hour in standby. Also the screen time in battery stats went down. Before i had about 5:50hrs, now it dropped to 4:20hrs and falling.

iOS 13 is by far the worst iOS generation ever.

Reactions: gank41 and MJ0778

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
On my ipad i got a huge battery drain too.
Last night i had about 9% battery left and when i wanted to check emails in the morning before reloading the battery, the ipad had already shut down because of empty battery.

I can see about 6–10% drain per hour in standby. Also the screen time in battery stats went down. Before i had about 5:50hrs, now it dropped to 4:20hrs and falling.

iOS 13 is by far the worst iOS generation ever.

I charged my iPad Pro (2018 11in) to 100% last night and unplugged it around 11:30’ish PM CST. Woke up and checked just now and it’s at 82%. So almost 20% battery drain with zero apps open in the background.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I charged my iPad Pro (2018 11in) to 100% last night and unplugged it around 11:30’ish PM CST. Woke up and checked just now and it’s at 82%. So almost 20% battery drain with zero apps open in the background.

So you checked your battery stats in settings and it shows no apps using power? Just having zero apps “open” in the background doesn’t mean something isn’t drawing power down.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
So you checked your battery stats in settings and it shows no apps using power? Just having zero apps “open” in the background doesn’t mean something isn’t drawing power down.

The battery settings are showing the Music app running in the background almost the entire time my phones sitting next to me with no apps open (including no music playing).

I knows there’s plenty that can still run in the background without being open. S like Mail or Facebook or any number of apps. I’m just not sure why Music would run in the background for that long. I have Apple Music w/ match enabled and occasionally add music to my library. But I don’t do much of the “social” part of the Music app. I download the music I listen to most and fully expect it to drain my battery while I’m listening to music. But when I’m not? And the apps not even open? What in the Music app could be running in the background that could drain that much battery?

Here’s what my last 10 days look like for the Music app. Granted, I do use the app! But not nearly as much as it’s showing:

E4909AE7-CB53-415B-AC18-FE426BBF983C.jpeg

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The battery settings are showing the Music app running in the background almost the entire time my phones sitting next to me with no apps open (including no music playing).

I knows there’s plenty that can still run in the background without being open. S like Mail or Facebook or any number of apps. I’m just not sure why Music would run in the background for that long. I have Apple Music w/ match enabled and occasionally add music to my library. But I don’t do much of the “social” part of the Music app. I download the music I listen to most and fully expect it to drain my battery while I’m listening to music. But when I’m not? And the apps not even open? What in the Music app could be running in the background that could drain that much battery?

Here’s what my last 10 days look like for the Music app. Granted, I do use the app! But not nearly as much as it’s showing:

View attachment 920307

I find from time to time that Music just “plays” even if I haven’t “asked” it to. My suggestion would be to do a restart of your device. That may stop this behavior.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I find from time to time that Music just “plays” even if I haven’t “asked” it to. My suggestion would be to do a restart of your device. That may stop this behavior.

Yeah.... :(

I’d like to add (beyond my close to 18 years of IT support job experience) that a reboot is the first thing most people should try, sure. (Did you restart? Well how many times did you restart?)

But let me expand here, I’m finding that I’m having to reboot WAY too often since 13.5 was released. I used to keep all my apps open and then force quit ‘em all at the end of the day. This was because of the battery issues, hoping to stave off any potential app causing the issue. So beyond doing that just about every day now, I’m having to force reboot at least once during the day now, too. I’m really close to a restore right now, but I rely too much on my phone for work.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Out of curiosity, I checked my iPad battery status and music app didn’t even show up in the list as I did not listen to any music in the past 24 hours. I don’t use Apple Music (not even trial) and no syncing between Apple Watch and iPad (not a thing).

Restart usually don’t fix problem if related processes auto start with iOS. I don’t have Apple Music so maybe some processes don’t start, saving me from this draining battery issue.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Out of curiosity, I checked my iPad battery status and music app didn’t even show up in the list as I did not listen to any music in the past 24 hours...

I also checked on my iPad, and Music isn’t listed for me, either. My issues are mainly on my iPhone. It’s also pretty well expected that if you’re using the new Magic Keyboard that there’s additional battery drain due to that. I’ve just been spoiled with amazing battery life on the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Whenever there’s another beta, I’ll submit more logs. Not sure if anyone at Apple’s even looking anymore, though.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
But then when I DO want to listen to music and the lock screen comes on, it won’t play. And in my case, the app isn’t even open in the background when this is happening anyway.
Don't have that issue - wonder why?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So if you turn off the option for Music to run in the background, you’re still able to play music in the background? That sounds like a bug.
Background app refresh doesn’t affect music playback at all cause they are one of the “whitelist function” that has unlimited background time. This is intentional, otherwise it is going to be extremely stupid.

Reactions: gank41

elfary

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Since i jumped into iOS 13.5 i am having three background apps draining battery. In spite of having background processes ticked off. The moment i use one of them (e.g. Myfitnesspal) it will run in background for endless time unless i manually shut it down.

Thus once again Craig Federighi has messed up iOS behaviour. Bug Force One.

Unless i force quit those apps battery will drain like crazy.

But you don't buy an iPhone to force quit apps. I guess.

Bring back Scott Forstall, i say.

ian6969

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
All running well here (iPhone X and iPad Air 3), in fact I’d say the iPhone is possibly the smoothest it has ever been. Only thing I have seen a few times is the iPad waking up with the screen orientated upside down, so I have to angle it to rotate it back - this didn’t happen in previous iOS releases.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Since i jumped into iOS 13.5 i am having three background apps draining battery. In spite of having background processes ticked off. The moment i use one of them (e.g. Myfitnesspal) it will run in background for endless time unless i manually shut it down.

I am finding the same. I have two apps in particular - the UK’s Daily Telegraph and The Guardian - which once invoked on my IPhone X consume full hours running in the background. I never saw that with 13.4.1 or earlier. The weird thing is that flicking off background app refresh for these two makes no difference to their background consumption. Force terminating them seems to be the only solution.

Reactions: BBDDVV

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019
Could this battery issue be caused by an app not fully optimized for these newer versions? I only used nPlayer (a video player) when noticed battery decreasing sharply over 1, 2 hours, and background app refresh is 100% disabled for all apps.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Could this battery issue be caused by an app not fully optimized for these newer versions? I only used nPlayer (a video player) when noticed battery decreasing sharply over 1, 2 hours, and background app refresh is 100% disabled for all apps.
I am having this issue too. 3 apps are having issues. Two have sent out updates to their apps that seem to have fixed this. One is still doing it however.

Hopefully app developers will send out updates to remedy this problem. It is frustrating. Happens on my two iPads and my iPhone.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Our iphone SE (original) that is only 3 yrs old has battery drain due to “no cell coverage" (89% of battery use) on ios 13.5. Except the cell use is turned off with only wifi on (which works well in the building). How can cell coverage drain a battery from 100% in 4 hours to 1% when cell use is turned off?

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
So if you turn off the option for Music to run in the background, you’re still able to play music in the background? That sounds like a bug.
Not a bug. Music app playback has always been unaffected by the background app refresh settings.
[automerge]1591307885[/automerge]
Our iphone SE (original) that is only 3 yrs old has battery drain due to “no cell coverage" (89% of battery use) on ios 13.5. Except the cell use is turned off with only wifi on (which works well in the building). How can cell coverage drain a battery from 100% in 4 hours to 1% when cell use is turned off?
That will happen with no sim but shouldn’t happen at all if on Airplane mode.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Not a bug. Music app playback has always been unaffected by the background app refresh settings.
[automerge]1591307885[/automerge]

That will happen with no sim but shouldn’t happen at all if on Airplane mode.
If putting the phone on airplane mode is the answer, then the phone is completely worthless as it can’t receive anything even over wifi. We are looking at other options. Seeing as it has worked in the building for over 3 years except for a certain period under a previous update (with the same exact problem), I’m going to go with Verizon/Apple rendering the phone unusable.

Reactions: gank41

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
If putting the phone on airplane mode is the answer, then the phone is completely worthless as it can’t receive anything even over wifi. We are looking at other options. Seeing as it has worked in the building for over 3 years except for a certain period under a previous update (with the same exact problem), I’m going to go with Verizon/Apple rendering the phone unusable.
Wait what do you mean “cell use is turned off”?

Isn’t that what airplane mode does?
How else have you disabled cellular use?

You can still use Wifi while on airplane mode.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Wait what do you mean “cell use is turned off”?

Isn’t that what airplane mode does?
How else have you disabled cellular use?

You can still use Wifi while on airplane mode.
Airplane mode turns off cell and wifi. You can manually turn wifi on in settings with airplane mode on. But you can simply turn off cell in the same place you enable airplane mode or turn off wifi. Which doesn’t seem to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.